1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 01-13-2007, 06:42 AM

Wrong Primers?

Bless me father for I have sinned.... I mistakenly used Winchester WSP instead of WSPM for 1000 .357 loads using H110 powder as follows: 125gr over 18gr and; 158gr over 14gr. Went to the range and expected nothing but squibs. Fired 50 of each with no problems and excellent accuracy at 50 yds. Maybe I got away with this amateur mistake becaues I'm at the low end of magnum loading? Any like experiences to share?

Thanks,
Boresight

Reloading is half the fun.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:57 AM

Yes my son, you have seen the error of your ways, but it appears St. John (Browning) was watching over you. You must repeat the 10 laws of safe gun handling 10 times. Now go forth (reloading) and sin no more.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primersinmyshoe
Yes my son, you have seen the error of your ways, but it appears St. John (Browning) was watching over you. You must repeat the 10 laws of safe gun handling 10 times. Now go forth (reloading) and sin no more.
Thats GOOD!!!!

St. John Browning.....
Old 01-13-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boresight
Bless me father for I have sinned.... I mistakenly used Winchester WSP instead of WSPM for 1000 .357 loads using H110 powder as follows: 125gr over 18gr and; 158gr over 14gr. Went to the range and expected nothing but squibs. Fired 50 of each with no problems and excellent accuracy at 50 yds. Maybe I got away with this amateur mistake becaues I'm at the low end of magnum loading? Any like experiences to share?

Thanks,
Boresight

I got poor ignition with AA7 and squibs with H110 using standard primers. It could have been cold that particular day. -Phil
Old 01-14-2007, 12:30 AM

A friend of mine did some experimentation with the 38 Super. He loaded some IPSC major loads using both std and magnum primers. He reported about a 30 fps gain with the magnum primers. I think he was using AA7 but I'm not sure, this was a long time ago. I wouldn't get a false sense of security, however, I think you could get into trouble using std primers with powders that require a lot of pressure for complete ignition.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Boresight

I would use caution when firing these rounds.
H110 likes to be loaded with a high load density.
Per my Hodgdon manual the maximum load for the 125-grain jacketed is 22.0 grains
Your load of 18.0 grains is 18% below maximum. And 15% below maximum for the 158 grainer.
H110 should no be reduced by more than 3 to 5 percent

You’ve got 900 more rounds to shoot, there could still be more than a few squibs in this lot waiting for you. I’d stay very alert when shooting this lot,
Good Luck

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Old 01-14-2007, 06:55 AM

couple thoughts

Don't worry about not having enough H110; I have Hodgdon data that lists 19.0g maximum under a 125g JHP.

Second, those WSPM primers are the 'hottest' small pistol primer available, and can increase pressure by significant amounts.

Third, when in doubt or when called for, use magnum primers.
But work up slow no matter what else you do, then test.

Last, you may still have a squib (but probably not).
Old 01-14-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2
Don't worry about not having enough H110; I have Hodgdon data that lists 19.0g maximum under a 125g JHP.

Second, those WSPM primers are the 'hottest' small pistol primer available, and can increase pressure by significant amounts.

Third, when in doubt or when called for, use magnum primers.
But work up slow no matter what else you do, then test.

Last, you may still have a squib (but probably not).
WESHOOT, I am curious, what manual did you see this data in? What was the minimum starting charge listed at for the 125 grainer?
My data is from the 2004 Hodgdon annual manual
Thanx

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Old 01-15-2007, 06:32 AM

"H110 should not be reduced by more than 3 to 5 percent." - That's just so they can sell more powder.

Boresight

Old 01-16-2007, 04:24 AM

Quote:
"H110 should not be reduced by more than 3 to 5 percent." - That's just so they can sell more powder.

Boresight

H110 and W296 are two powders that have ignition problems with low load density charges. This is not my opinion, check with the manufacturers.

The following quote is verbatim from the Hodgdon web site

“H110 Loads should not be reduced more than 3%. Reduce H110 Loads 3% and work up from there. H110 if reduced too much will cause inconsistent ignition. In some cases it will lodge a bullet in the barrel, causing a hazardous situation (Barrel Obstruction). This may cause severe personal injury or death to users or bystanders.
DO NOT REDUCE H110 LOADS BY MORE THAN 3%."

In addition, powders like H110 and 296 also like to be loaded with “high bullet pull”
(i.e. heavy bullets or the pull that heavy bullets present to the charge).
Light bullets with H110 and 296 do not present enough “bullet pull” and can cause ignition problems.
If you are loading light for caliber bullets with H110 or 296 apply a heavy crimp or you may find yourself with a slug in your barrel (Don’t ask me how I know this)

Good Luck

Gerk
Old 01-16-2007, 06:40 AM

more data

Hodgdon #26; I have three "Annual Manuals" and they differ.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:52 AM

TheGerk: Both the folks at Speer and myself respectfully disagree. They show starting loads of H110 reduced by 18% compared to the manufacturer's data. I've used the Speer starting loads for most magnum calibers, light and heavy bullets, and never had an ignition problem. I have about 10,000 data points.

Boresight

Old 01-16-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
TheGerk: Both the folks at Speer and myself respectfully disagree. They show starting loads of H110 reduced by 18% compared to the manufacturer's data. I've used the Speer starting loads for most magnum calibers, light and heavy bullets, and never had an ignition problem. I have about 10,000 data points.

Boresight

Right on Brother
I thought the issue was the light loaded H110 with non-magnum primers?
My Speer #13 manual lists your 18gr. start load using a magnum primer.
That was my concern, I’ve had ignition problems with 110
If you’re comfortable, that’s all that counts
Good Luck and all the Best

Gerk