1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 12-31-2006, 06:03 PM

Front sight info on 1918 1911

The front site on my 1911 fell off about 20 years ago and I replaced it with a 1911A1 filed down to fit. Does anyone know the type of front sight that was issued on the 1918 year Colt 1911 and where I can get either another front sight or specs to build my own?
Old 12-31-2006, 08:49 PM

These sights are often refered to as round tenon or pin tenon front sights. Someplace like Sarco or Numrich/GPC might have some, though too few to list on their site. You might write or call them. Brownells could likely help you find one.
If you don't get a usefull reply here in a couple of days, you might post in the USGI forum of this site.
These sights are noted for being weak. If the slide is past being collectable ( markings milled off, etc. ) you might consider converting it to use narrow or wide tenon sights. Some people solder in these sights also, how much that would help a round tenon, I don't know.

Welcome and Happy New Year.

P.S. Marstar shows a pic of what looks like one on their site.

Last edited by falable762; 12-31-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:53 AM

Thanks falable762, Once I knew what to look for I found this dwg from Doran on the M1911.org sight. I've got a couple questions on the dimensions. Can someone identify the question marks on the attached sketch?

thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
1911FrontSight.jpg