1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 03-25-2002, 03:24 PM

How long to keep in condition one

In another thread the question was raised about carrying in condition one. My question is can a 1911 be keep in condition one indefinitely? I recognize that any 1911 will taken to the range periodically, but in theory are there any reasons not to keep one in condition one indefinitley?

Thanks,
Old 03-25-2002, 03:30 PM

Check this out: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/spring_set.htm
Old 03-25-2002, 03:53 PM
Banned

The only downside I've ever noticed is that clothing fuzz gets between the hammer and frame. For that reason I will unload my carry pistol and dry fire it a few times to convince myself that all is well. That's usually a good time to put a few well placed drops of CLP in certain places. Otherwise I never give any thought to C&L'd forever.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:53 PM

I have quite a few in my collection that has been in the cocked and locked state for several years,in fact the only time i drop the hammer is when im at the range and on target ,I have never had a problem with a mainspring wearing out.I have heard of guns last 30 + years in some cases in cocked and locked state and not have a problem either.I find the practice of lowering the hammer dangerous and an accident waiting to happen when lowered on a charged state.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:17 PM

This one of lifes little questions that I wouldn't lose to much sleep over, since it's a pretty well proven fact, that numerous 1911s have been left fully loaded for long periods of time with no ill effects. I've carried 1911s for over twenty years as a street cop in condition one and I've never experienced any problems nor replaced any hammer springs in any of my duty 1911s...

7th
Old 03-25-2002, 08:40 PM

One thing about the main or hammer springs for JMB's pistol, he designed in more than a little "fudge factor" on its power.
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:37 AM
Administrator

In fact, many gunsmiths will install a lighter 19# mainspring when doing a trigger job on a 1911. The factory 23# unit is drastic overkill. Even if it did lose a few pounds of force from being left stored with the hammer cocked, it will still have plenty of power left afterwards.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:11 AM
Banned

re Condition One

I have personal experience with a pistol that was stored in C-1
after the death of its owner...for over 60 years. Clearing and
reloading the chamber only, the pistol emptied the magazine and locked open on the last round.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:40 AM

Springs

Considering that every spring in the Gov. Pistol with the hammer
down is still in the semi-compressed condition. I would assume that the most fatique of a spring would occur in the "full com-pression & de-compression" cycle of the spring during firing,etc:
Think of how many 75 to 90 yr. old 1911's with original parts are
still out there and probably not showing any effects unless they
have been fired an awful lot. If in doubt,change springs & keep old springs for re-installing if you get rid of pistol.
Just remember to check for damage that"could" be caused by weak springs.

Stumpy