1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 12-29-2006, 04:18 PM

Confused over Kimber rear sight cut

Hi folks -- I've searched, and I'm still not clear.

I have a brand-new Custom II with the usual fixed sights. I want to replace the rear sight with a Bo-Mar or Bo-Mar "style" adjustable target sight, since this will be a USPSA competition gun.

I understand Kimber uses a proprietary slide cut in the rear (front, too, but one issue at a time. <g> ), that's something like a Novak.

But my question is, do they use a *different* cut on models, like that Target II that already come with an adjustable target sight?

When I look on Kimber's website, the adjustible sight they sell is marked "ONLY FOR MODELS WITH ADJUSTIBLE SIGHTS -- NOT FOR FIXED SIGHT MODELS".

My concern is that if I order this sight, or something like the BO-MAR-K, which is the "Kimber-cut Bo-Mar", it won't fit the CustomII. Many thanks in advance!!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:27 PM

You will need to have a BoMar cut made in your slide if you want the Bomar style adjustable sights. Fixed sights are fine for USPSA and they never break.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:32 PM

Yes, like any gun, the fixed sight dovetail cut is very different than the adjustable target cut. The target adjustable sights need a longer flat area behind the dovetail cut. If you want the melted in look, this is cut even deeper. The BoMar K only fits in a Kimber adjustable cut. It will not fit in your Custom II. You will have to have the slide milled (at the least) if you want to put any brand of full target adjustable sight in.

Novak makes their extreme adjustable for the Kimber fixed sight cut but it isn't a target type sight.

Last edited by Kruzr; 12-29-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:00 PM

ah -- all is clear

Yup, two seconds starting at another pistol that does have a Bo-Mar clone rear sight (my LB PII), and I see exactly what you mean. The area at the rear of the slide is dished out....

What about this sight from Dawson Precision?
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...000-1108695802

Any experience with it? It appears to be designed for the Kimbers with fixed rear sights....

BDavis - I kinda agree with you about a fixed rear sight, but I'm not wild about the Kimber sight picture -- primarily because the front (which I'm going to replace, too) is so fat, and I like to be able to adjust for different loads. There's usually not enough difference, in practice, to matter, but it drives me crazy when I'm not hitting at POA.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo radley
What about this sight from Dawson Precision?
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...000-1108695802

Any experience with it? It appears to be designed for the Kimbers with fixed rear sights....
I haven't seen them except in the Dawson catalog. It says it will fit the fixed sight Kimber cut so I suspect it will. They make them with fiber optics and tritium also. It looks like a sturdy sight.

Now your next problem is getting the factory fixed sight out and getting a new one in with the Kimber tight, tight (did I mention they are tight) dovetails.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:42 PM

The Dawson Precision adjustable sight will fit the Kimber fixed sight dovetail cut. I installed one on a Kimber TacPro II 9mm to replace the original fixed night sights. The Kimber rear sights are EXTREMELY tight in the dovetail. After reading the accounts in this forum of others attempting to remove a Kimber fixed sight by the "hammer and punch" approach, I bought a universal sight tool from Brownells. When the sight released, it did so with a fairly loud pop (probably loctited).
Old 12-29-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I bought a universal sight tool from Brownells. When the sight released, it did so with a fairly loud pop (probably loctited)
I heard the pop on my PI Model 500 tool when taking out a Kimber sight........... it was the pusher tip breaking off! (B&J Machine replaced the pusher bolt.)
Old 12-29-2006, 06:57 PM

Hello: I installed a Novak adjustable rear sight on my Kimber Eclipse 10mm. It had the none adjustable sight from the factory. The Novak works great and it still can be used for carry. The elavation adjustment works great for IDPA and USPSA events as well. I also have a fiber optic front sight that came with the pistol. I think it is a EGW one. I think I will change it out for a Dawson thinner one at some point. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric
Old 01-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonShooter
The Dawson Precision adjustable sight will fit the Kimber fixed sight dovetail cut. I installed one on a Kimber TacPro II 9mm to replace the original fixed night sights. The Kimber rear sights are EXTREMELY tight in the dovetail. After reading the accounts in this forum of others attempting to remove a Kimber fixed sight by the "hammer and punch" approach, I bought a universal sight tool from Brownells. When the sight released, it did so with a fairly loud pop (probably loctited).

Out of curiosity, which universal sight tool (item or model #) did you get from Brownell's?

TIA!

Franklin