1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 12-28-2006, 10:05 AM

Serial Number Lookup?

My nephew is looking at an old Colt 1911 that someone wants to sell. The seller got it from a ship captain 25 years ago. Is there a weblink to lookup serial numbers to see if stolen or any other information?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:56 PM

There is a data base that lists Colt serial numbers to determine when it was made.

The numbers only go up to 1978, and only cover Colt's.
Since most military issue 1911's were rebuilt, the fact that the slide is a Colt is no guarantee that the frame is.

http://proofhouse.com/colt/

There is no information on stolen guns available to the public, only to law enforcement.

You can go down to any police of sheriff's office and give them the number and they will "run it" for a stolen listing.
Be aware, that if it comes up stolen, they will demand the gun.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:17 PM

Here's a link if you live in Florida...
http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/fdle/guns_search.asp

Tomcatt
NRA Life Member
Old 12-30-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyCop
My nephew is looking at an old Colt 1911 that someone wants to sell. The seller got it from a ship captain 25 years ago. Is there a weblink to lookup serial numbers to see if stolen or any other information?
The serial number info was posted. To determine whether the firearm has been listed as stolen, I would strongly suggest that you call a local law enforcement agency and ask them to run the serial number through NCIC (National Crime Information Center). All they will require is that you identify yourself, in most cases. I've checked hundreds, if not thousands, of firearms in this manner.

Be sure to get the name of the law enforcement agency officer or staffer that checks the number for you. Make note of their name, time, and the date. That way if the gun turns up as stolen later on, you are only out the money, and not involved in a messy criminal issue of receiving stolen property.

In all these years, I've only had ONE firearm turn up as stolen. The gun had not been used in a crime, to their knowledge. The insurance company that paid for the lose did not want it back to defray their costs (value was less than $100 and transfer issues across state lines were far more expensive for them), so they gave me a letter of release and I didn't lose one single dime.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:11 AM

Not an issue anymore. The man changed his mind and wants to hold onto the gun - to save and pass on to his son one day. Not for sale anylonger. Thanks everyone for your input...
Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Identifieing MY Colt

Hello,Need help.I bought a colt from nephew.I am not sure of the model.I think it's a 1911.The serial number is 70B01XXX.I think it was made in 1981.Someone has taken the barrel and slide off and put a .38 super clark barrel and slide on.For competition shooting.Is there a web site that I can go to,and use the serial number to find out what model it is.Or is there any body out there that can help me.I would like to put the original colt barrel and slide back on it.
Thank ya'll In Adavance.Cool site.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatt View Post
Here's a link if you live in Florida...
http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/fdle/guns_search.asp

Tomcatt
Working Link:

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a

But keep in mind this only lists guns stolen in Florida and reported to Florida law enforcement. And I do not know when they started this list. A gun I had stolen in Florida back in 1983, reported stolen, and have the police report for - is not listed.