1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Competitive Shooting

Old 03-24-2002, 08:51 PM

clearing a jam

I have read about clearing jams "tap-rack-something" and want to know what that means and the best way to clear a jam as they say "in the heat of the battle".

I read about Todd Jarrett's misfortune with the ricochet (sp) off the frame back into his Para, but not his technique to clear the jam.

What is the preferred method ?

Old 03-24-2002, 09:17 PM

Tap Rack Bang

It is well documented that simple nondiagnostic methods that use large muscle group movements work in high stress situations. The Tap, Rack, Bang (Assess for the politicaly correct crowd) is the preferred method for dealing with most types of malfunctions. #1 TAP: firmly strike the bottom of the magazine seating it in the magwell. #2 RACK: rack the slide once as forcefully as you can ejecting the problem(hopefully) and picking up a fresh round. #3 BANG: self explanitory. I would add that I prefer to Tap, Roll, Rack, Bang during my malfunction drills. Rolling the gun so the ejection port faces the ground will facilitate the ejected round leaving the port. I practice this drill all the time using orange safety trainer ammo mixed in with my live fire range practice. I suggest doing it dry a few hundred times first though.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:59 PM

Tap, rack, and bang is only good if you didn't seat the mag properly after a mag change. I will only do this if a jam occurs after a mag change. However if it occur mid mag, usually it's a mag problem. Tap, rack, and bang will not work and is a waste of time. It's better to dump the mag, clear the gun, insert fresh mag, rack the slide again and bang.

Todd Jarrett's freak jam is a good reason you don't put your gun through a port or use a barrier for support. It's always better to stay back and shoot.
Old 03-25-2002, 09:37 PM

Scooter I must respectfully dissagree withe the first part of your post. The Tap,Rack, Bang will clear most malfunctions including misfires due to bad ammo, hammer follow to half-cock, slide lock due to the slide stop being inadvertently bumped. The T-R-B will also clear a few other malfunctions like failure to feed and failure to go fully in to battery. The imediate action of Tap, Rack, Bang can save the stage in compition and save your postierior in a real crisis.

The second part of your post is right on. Stay back off cover and don't use stage baricade to "support" your shooting position. One they are usualy not stable, two they can and will chew up your hand and three it is not tacticaly sound to crowd cover.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:56 AM

I agree with tommygun. TRB will clear most malfunctions. The major malfunction it won't clear is a double feed. In that case, you often can't rack the slide until you have dropped the magazine. But most of the malfunctions that I've had were simple feed failures which are easily solved by TRB.

M1911
Old 03-26-2002, 08:10 PM

The main idea behind dumping the mag is because often time it is the mag that is causing the trouble. Why keep messing around with a bad mag. This is what was taught to me by a law enforcement instructor, who also is a GM shooter.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:33 PM

I agree with Scooter, get rid of the mag, and get on with it. I want to be back in action ASAP.
"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away". Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995
Old 03-27-2002, 10:47 AM
1911 Aficionado

When I took an introductory IPSC "class", the instructor made it sound like IPSC was such an advanced game because there was a different solution for every potential problem - tap-rack-bang for some, rip out mag-rack-reload for others - and I wondered aloud if taking the time to assess the problem, and applying the "correct" solution might be somewhat difficult, under pressure?
About that time, there were some shooting/tactics instructors who were promoting the idea that all malfunctions could be solved by "reloading". It might not be easy to see what the problem is (dark), so having a single, reflexive reaction to a malfunction might not be a bad idea.
If you practice dropping/ripping the mag, racking the slide, and reloading, you will be able to solve just about anything but a broken extractor, without having to actually determine what caused the stoppage. If you have time/light to see what the problem is, then applying a specific solution would seem to be best.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:44 PM

If I pull the trigger and the gun does not go bang I TRB, if I pull the trigger an the gun jams I drop the mag and start over
Old 03-27-2002, 04:08 PM

You have two basic clearing drills that you should know, both for competition and more importantly for actual combat use. These involve what are known as Phase I and Phase II malfunctions.

Phase I--pull trigger, click, no bang.

TAP--the bottom of the magazine, to make sure it is firmly seated.

RACK--FORCEFULLY rip the slide to the rear, and observe for the ejection of a complete round. If a complete round ejects, continue. IF NOT, STOP!!!!! You might have experienced what is called a "pop and no kick". In this case, the probability of a round stuck in the barrel is very high. Chambering and firing a round afterward is a really BAD idea.

In competition, call out for a disabled gun. If fighting for real---well, just say that this the best reason to carry a backup.

If you have a double feed, or the pistol fails to go bang after clearing a Phase I malfunction, then go to Phase II.

RIP the magazine out of the weapon.

RACK the slide 3-4 times.

CHECK for a clear chamber.

LOCK a new magazine into the weapon.

LOAD the chamber, and continue to fire.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Re: clearing a jam

Quote:
Originally posted by ElmerFudd
I have read about clearing jams "tap-rack-something" and want to know what that means and the best way to clear a jam as they say "in the heat of the battle".
<snip>
I have gravitated to 3 remedial actions - I would like to make it simpler but, because I beleive in a fight getting back in action quickly is paramount, I had to accept at least 3. They are:

Hammer/striker drops with failure to fire: TRB (as discussed above).... 1 second including recognition.

Stove Pipe (vertical empty case): wipe it off.... 3/4 second incl. recogniton. I don't pull on the slide as most schools teach. Every double feed I have seen in pistols (except for the M-9) were created by clearing a stovepipe by the "school method".

Any other stoppage or failure (including pulling the trigger an *nothing* happens - not rare with S&W or Sigs): Drop the sucker and pull your backup.... 1.5 - 2.5 seconds depending on where it is (mine is 1.5).

I am very tempted to include running dry in the last category. Right now it takes me about as long to reload from slidelock as it does to produce my backup. Besides, having a gun incapable of firiing is a malfunciton right?

Food for thought,
Jim Higginbotham
Old 03-30-2002, 09:40 AM
More Cowbell...

All jams suck. Drop the mag, rack the slide and go. Dont screw with trying to figure out whats wrong. At this point if its is still dead, then take a look at whats going on. A jammed/empty gun is nothing more than a short club. But, I could be wrong. Works for me though.