1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 12-21-2006, 08:16 PM

Kimber vs Taurus PT1911

Got a chance here at Christmas to get either a Kimber or a Taurus PT1911. Whadda y'all think? I am REALLY attracted to the Taurus! Pros/cons, I know that the Kimber name is worth a bunch, but I seldom trade pistols and I use them sparingly, so I do not think wear is an overly large consideration.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:29 PM

Taurus in stainless would be mine pick

I'd say go with Taurus and spend the money you save on a holster, magazines and ammo
Old 12-22-2006, 07:22 AM

I bougth the Taurus & love it. I'd buy the Taurus now because I have a feeling that in the next year or so the MSRP is going to go up on these guns which in turn will just make yours more valuable. The Kimbers are nice also but they will be around for a long time & I don't think Kimbers MSRP will rise very quickly if everybody keeps producing these lower cost 1911's...Mine has been 100% reliable & very accurate. The only thing I want next is the SS model when they become available.....
Old 12-22-2006, 07:40 AM

I bought a PT1911 several months ago and love it. For $450 you can't buy another gun with the same quality and features. 550 rounds with zero problems.

I just bought a used Kimber Custom II. When you glance at the two guns it's hard to tell the difference. A new one will cost about $650 and it doesn't have all the features of the Taurus.

Both are good guns. Compare the features and decide how much you want to spend.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Hold my beer & watch this

I bought a PT1911 and it seems just as good as a Kimber. Slide-to-frame was a bit loose but that's a good thing I think,so far mine hasn't had one hiccup, burp, or stutter.

A couple things though...the trigger pull was heavier than I would have liked(some will say you get what you pay for),and I decided I don't like ambi-safeties. So I sent it off to Gemini Customs. So for the same price as a Kimber I've got a PT1911 with a trigger job and (imo) better sights.

Oh yeah,the sights were off as well (shooting 6" left at 7-8 yards!),but I'm having Gemini Customs fix that while it's there. Not really happy about that,but it's all getting done at one time now,and I don't have to pay to ship it back to Taurus. It's actually cheaper and faster to let Mr. Morganti do it since he's already got my pistol,and I know he'll do it right.
COTEP #10
"Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some death to defy."
Old 12-23-2006, 09:22 AM

I say buy the Kimber but I haven't shot the PT so take my advice with that in mind. There certainly are a lot of people very happy with the Taurus.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed
I say buy the Kimber but I haven't shot the PT so take my advice with that in mind. There certainly are a lot of people very happy with the Taurus.
Here's another person happy with the Taurus. Picked mine up Thursday and had it ti the range yesterday. Seems very well made and is very accurate. Much more than I was expecting for the price.

--
Mike
Old 12-23-2006, 10:31 PM

I have a Kimber Pro Carry II and love it. It's very accurate and the alloy frame makes it a joy to carry. 2200 rnds and NO problems, has internal extractor.

But you can't have just ONE 1911, my Kimber got lonely and cried a lot so had to buy another 1911. Couldn't afford another Kimber right now so I just bought a Taurus PT1911. The pistol comes with all the add ons that most people would want. I paid $540 on gunbroker.com (msrp is $617 for the Blue version) because none of the local dealers can keep one in stock long enough for me to buy one. Google Taurus PT1911 reviews and you will get pages of very positive reviews.

If I had the money I would have gotten another Kimber, they are great guns, but on my limited budget the Taurus looked like the most bang for the buck! You can't go wrong with either one. Pick one, buy it, shoot it and have fun!
Old 12-25-2006, 06:46 AM
Banned

In life one usually gets what one pays for. There are 3 1911s that come to mind. The RIA Tactical @ $429, Taurus @ $549 and a basic Kimber @ $629. IMO they are priced as to their value. Is a RIA as good as a Taurus - no. Is the Taurus as good as a Kimber - no.
The RIA is closer to the Taurus than the Taurus is to the Kimber.
I would never let a stock trigger pull determine which 1911 I would buy. $50-$75 will get you a very nice pull from a competent gunsmith.
Almost forgot. If you want to really step up to the plate then get a Les Baer Premier II @ $1,400.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:02 AM

Gonna go against most here and say by the Kimber even though im no fan of there

the Taurus I saw and handled and shot if its a show of there quality ill pass
Old 12-25-2006, 10:03 AM

MarkA,

by the factors you have listed...

I seldom trade pistols
I use them sparingly
wear is an overly large consideration.

The taurus will fit your bill.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:23 PM

and you guys are supposed to by 1911 fans, yet no one has suggested to just get one of each ?
Old 12-25-2006, 06:59 PM

go with a kimber custom
Old 12-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

IMO the two best buys in the 1911 world are the Kimber Custom at $629 and the Les Baer at $1,400. I have worked on hundreds of 1911s and these two represent the most gun for the money. One in the basic 1911 catagory and the other in the semi-custom line.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:45 PM

New guy here. I am looking for a 1911 and have been looking at the Taurus very closely. I have shoot a Kimber and a Hi Standard. While the Kimber felt nice each seemed to shot fine. I have a very limited budget so I will probably get the Taurus, especially after reading the reviews here. I have'nt got a chance to handle one yet, but I am confident I will love it. Thanks

Bam Bam
Old 12-29-2006, 08:50 AM

A friend purchased one for $469 plus tax...; frame's feed ramp resembled a mirror finish polish, had 4.5 lb trigger, functional checkering...

Functioning was flawless so far through out two sessions....

For the features included, one would be hard pressed to find another pistol as well equipped without nearly spending double that amount...
Old 12-29-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson
For the features included, one would be hard pressed to find another pistol as well equipped without nearly spending double that amount...

+1911. Exactly.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:02 PM

I just got my PT1911 today and it is not a fine as the Kimber but if it shoots as well as it reviews it will be nice. I bought mine as a second 1911 to my Para, I think there is more value in it than most i have looked at.

It is better to have shot and missed than to have not shot at all.

Jeremiah 17:7-8