1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 12-19-2006, 01:39 AM

Kimber TLE/RLII

Hey how is everyone. I just bought a Kimber TLE/RL II and absolutely love it. I went to the range the other day and was impressed with the out of the box performance and accuracy. The only gripe I have is I had one FTL. I noticed that the slide stop catch on the kimber mag was too large and when loading your first round in the catch would hit the front of the mag and prevent you from loading the first round into the mag. So I bought a wilson combat tactical 8rd, didnt have the 10rd, and I guess we will see what happens the next time we hit the range. I have heard from alot of people the kimber mag is junk and the wilsons are awesome, and vice versa but I was impressed with the wilsons simplicity and smooth action. I will keep you posted on how the new mag works out. Im taking a CQC class on the 31st and dont think I can get to the range before then so I will let you know.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:26 PM

Enjoy your gun

compare the followers on the Wison and Kimber mags. That grove on the Wilson follower makes the cartridges sit "nose-up" and allows for more positive feed as compared to the flat follower on the Kimber mag.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 PM

I have that same pistol, love it dearly. Put some cool grips on it!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 PM

I've carried the TLE RL-II off and on for about two years now, and I've been very happy with mine. I never had a problem with the Kimber branded 7-round magazines, but I've had mixed results with the 8's. Also, the CMC Power 10s have been hit and miss, with some mags great and others only reliable if downloaded by one round. I've never had a problem with my Wilsons, though, so that is what I carry. Enjoy your new gun, you picked a good one.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:36 PM

I doubt that I will change the grips out anytime soon, just becuase this is a duty gun and happen to like the ones that are on there, unless a different style grip or compound has helped you shoot better. Has anyone found this to be the case?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911TLE/RLII
I doubt that I will change the grips out anytime soon, just becuase this is a duty gun and happen to like the ones that are on there, unless a different style grip or compound has helped you shoot better. Has anyone found this to be the case?
I don't know that I've ever found a grip to have a significant impact on my shooting performance. I like Aluma-Grips, though they add a bit of weight to the gun. I'm also a big fan of VZs. I've been to a couple of classes where my hands got torn up enough to wear gloves, and I liked the little extra bit of grippiness the VZs provided.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:09 PM

As you like it. I just like cool grips. Not skulls, or pot-leaves, mind you- I like color and pattern. Currently she's sportin' genuine South Dakota diamondback.

I'd put my snakeskin grips on a duty gun, if I was a cop, unless verboten...I probably would anyway; if I'm buying it I'm making it mine.

But yes I agree grips do not a great shooter make.

Another thing I like- good gunleather. I just bought a bitchin' $315 Galco purse for my wife and her Berreta, and $225 worth of F.L.E.T.C.H. hi-rise w/dual mag case and C4 belt for me. (I wanted a horizontal-carry shoulder rig, like the "Jackass", but for railed Kimbers they only make a vertical-carry version).
Old 12-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Hold my beer & watch this

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911TLE/RLII
Yeah but plain rubber?...At least getcha some nice double diamond rosewoods!
COTEP #10
"Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some death to defy."