1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 11-16-2006, 08:58 PM

Springfield MC Operator vs. Kimber Warrior

I'm considering buying one of the two above mentioned 1911s. What are your thoughts on them to help me make up my mind? Both are railed but thats not the main reason I want them. They both have no firing pin safeties, standard guide rods, cost pretty much the same, and are available locally to me.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-op.shtml

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/warrior.php

Last edited by Colts 45; 11-16-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:54 PM

McOperator

I've had an McOperator for the last few years and will never get rid of it. It is currently in my tactical rig with a surefire X200 attached at work. This is one of the best 1911 guns I have ever shot. I own three 1911's, the McOperator, Colt Government, and a Les Baer Commanche. When it comes time for the department shoot it is always the MC.

I have never been a fan of Kimber's because of the problems with the department +P ammo we have to carry. The ammo was breaking parts on the Kimbers.

The Mc has eaten all types of ammo, but it does not like Wilson magazines. I use either Tripp Research or Metalform.

Hope this helps. I know everybody nis different, but the Mc would be the 1911 for me if I could only carry one.

Tony P.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:11 PM

I bought the TRP Operator but it was based soley on asthetics -- just don't like the looks of the Kimber!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:18 PM

Thanks guys! Keep the opinions coming.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:43 AM

get the operator, i dont like 80 series 1911's/kimbers
Old 11-17-2006, 02:21 AM

SA's warranty is bumper to bumper, for the lifetime of the gun. I don't think Kimber even comes close to that.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:04 PM

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted here. I picked up a Kimber warrior a few months ago and have been thoroughly impressed with its performance. I've had colts and SAs- and the warrior is my first and only Kimber. I'm one to tinker with 1911s- and honestly, the only thing I changed on my warrior has been the grips (VZ 320s now- asthetically- much better than the white grips- IMHO). It's my nightstand, range, gun. Really- I think it's the best Kimber has to offer these days. No series II - and has all the features (ambi safety, night sights, low maintanence finish, beavertail) I wanted in a 1911 (less the rail- just don't see a need for it- but hey- what modern pistol these days doesn't have one?).

I have no experience with the MC operator. I like SA pistols- I think they make a fine product. I just honestly think Kimber hit a home run w/ the Warrior. My Springfield/Colt owning friends concur with this assesment of the Warrior. As a Colt fan- it's probably the only Kimber I will own. Good luck with your choice!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:30 PM

I bought and MC Operator about this time last year. It has been flawless in function and extremely accurate. I haven't had any experience with Kimber's but I don't think you will be disappointed with the Springfield.

Michael
Old 11-18-2006, 07:21 AM

The Kimber, hands down. I dont do Bull and/or ramped barrels.

The Warrior comes with a GI Guide Rod and Plug as it should be.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:07 AM

Mc

The MC Operator does not have a bull barrel. Besides whats wrong with a bull barrel? I have no problems with Kimbers since they went back to the internal extractor. Plus the Warrior is a series 1 style but I still am a Springfield fan. Their warranty is the best hands down (lifetime regardless if you are the original owner). Also I am not a big fan of having "Warrior" stamped on the slide. Seems way cheesy to me, it ranks right up there with the giant Trojan logo.
Kel-Tec P32 "Noisy Cricket"
Old 11-18-2006, 11:59 AM

I made the same decision a few months ago. I chose the SA MC Operator.

Much of the data I had to compare against was not quite correct. I ended up with both guns near me at a gun show. They are very similar.

I'm sure the kimber warrior is a great gun, but the SA had everything I wanted (it does cost a little less $$).

The Operator is the most accurate 1911 I own (and have shot... I don't get around to those 2k+ guns :P).

With Springfield, you can also upgrade it to a TRP for $695 at a later time if you want to.

Here is my thread, not too much information in it, but it may help.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=151829
Old 11-19-2006, 09:16 AM

Shoot both and buy the one you shoot better.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Gray
get the operator, i dont like 80 series 1911's/kimbers
Kimber dosen't have 80 series - technically. Their series II with the schwartz (or however it's spelled) is different approach to a firing pin safety than Colt's 80 series.

Either way - the Warrier is typical of 70 series with no firing pin safety system.

--jcd
Old 11-19-2006, 10:11 AM

Bull Barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala_ss
The MC Operator does not have a bull barrel. Besides whats wrong with a bull barrel? I have no problems with Kimbers since they went back to the internal extractor. Plus the Warrior is a series 1 style but I still am a Springfield fan. Their warranty is the best hands down (lifetime regardless if you are the original owner). Also I am not a big fan of having "Warrior" stamped on the slide. Seems way cheesy to me, it ranks right up there with the giant Trojan logo.

Impala SS. What type of barrel does the SA MC Operator have? Mine is missing the bushing thingy that goes on the front of the barrel.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:09 PM

I love my Warrior! I admit it took some break-in, and once or twice during the first 800 or so rounds I got a tiny bit frustrated. Since then it has been the best handgun I have ever shot.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Nothing wrong with the Springfield but I own the Warrior and have had no problems in reliability. It's a personal choice of course and you really should try to handle and shoot both to help your decision.

RC

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Stinger1; 11-19-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:48 PM

Mc

The MC Operators and the old Loaded Operators should have a bushing barrel. The TRP Operators of old and new have a bull barrel. I don't mind the bull barrel. It takes me an extra 2 minutes to clean, thats it.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:39 PM

I have shot both side by side about 200 rounds each. I'm a Kimber man but I liked the Operator better. Nothing wrong with the Kimber. I just shot the Operator better.

John Wayne
Old 11-20-2006, 06:48 AM

I have two Warriors and they have been excellent. Planning on an MC Operator next.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:54 PM

Operators

No pics of Operators so I thought I would balance it out a little.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:31 PM

Love mine. (with a few mods...)

Last edited by FNG; 11-20-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
Nothing wrong with the Springfield but I own the Warrior and have had no problems in reliability. It's a personal choice of course and you really should try to handle and shoot both to help your decision.

RC

[IMG][/IMG]
I just wanted to ask where you got these grips... 100% pure awesome. I'm a big Magnum P.I. fan. These grips are fantastic.

I also own the Kimber Warrior. I have never shot the MC Operator, but it seems like a nice gun and lots of guys really like them. If you can try them both, let your own results guide your decision. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Certainly every company puts out a few lemons every now and then, but these are both quality pistols. A good gunsmith can usually fix any problems you have in short order when you're starting with good guns.

I like Kimbers. I own a few... a long with a Dan Wesson and an Ed Brown. I know some people don't care for Kimbers and they have stories about reliability. Each man's experience should form his opinion, but in my experience - and I own about 6 Kimbers - I have had VERY few issues. I like they way they look and feel, and my gunsmith has been able to resolve any minor issues I've had. I like Kimbers.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverBox View Post
I just wanted to ask where you got these grips...
welcome Olie
this thread's pretty OLD...and the guy with the grips you like hasn't been around in awhile

according to his public profile;

Last Activity: 10-04-2007

those look like Alumagrips to me though

..L.T.A.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts 45 View Post
I'm considering buying one of the two above mentioned 1911s. What are your thoughts on them to help me make up my mind? Both are railed but thats not the main reason I want them. They both have no firing pin safeties, standard guide rods, cost pretty much the same, and are available locally to me.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-op.shtml

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/warrior.php

I'd go to both Forums and ask questions .
For me its the SA .
Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 PM

There's no comparison. The zillion documented online cases of problems with kimbers should answer your question.

The warrior can't touch the marine corps operator.