1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 08-31-2006, 09:58 PM

Wilson CQB vs. Springfield Professional

If this is discussed elsewhere, please link me.

I am facing this choice NOW, prices quite similar, NIB.

Based on experience, what would you do now if price were no object and you didn't already have one or the other? I know I know, it would be difficult to have experience if you didn't own one, but it's a hypothetical question.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:16 PM

You will never go wrong with a Wilson. I have several Springers and several Wilsons. I like the Wilsons a little better, just my own opinion
Old 08-31-2006, 10:23 PM

Yes, but have you owned a PRO? It's nothing at all like other Springfields.

The PRO is one of the finest semicustom 1911's available. However, so is the CQB. I'd try to shoot both, or at least handle both. It will boil down to preference, as both guns are hand-fitted, target-accurate, combat-reliable, and expensive. I like the PRO a lot, and prefer the Black-T finish, but I don't like the ambi safety setup nor the fact that the trigger guard is not undercut (neither is the CQB though).

I am concerned about your price range that you mention. Street cost of a CQB should be about $1600-$1800 depending on location and options. Street cost of a PRO is hundreds more. Don't get suckered into paying MSRP for a CQB, but the PRO unfortunately can't be had at deep discounts like the CQB.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:49 PM

From what I hear, you can't go wrong with either. Here's what I chose:

Old 08-31-2006, 11:22 PM

They are both fine pistols. I chose the CQB personally, but would never turn down a Pro. I do, however, prefer the 30lpi checkering of the CQB frontstrap over the 20lpi checkering of the Pro frontstrap.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:40 PM

What accounts for the hundreds of dollars in price difference?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:45 PM

It's like saying why does a BMW cost more than a VW...
Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 PM

Yes, but I KNOW why a BMW costs more than a VW. the Pro vs CQB is less apparent to me.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:19 AM

I am just saying that different brands are priced different, even if their products are similar.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:37 AM

Had to make same decision

I recently was faced with the same CQB vs. SA PRO decision with the same constraints of only being able to afford one as I found one of each in the same price range. I ultimately chose the PRO and couldn't be happier.

Before choosing the PRO, I handled and later shot both. At first feel, I liked the 30 lpi of the CQB over the 20 lpi of the PRO. However, once I got to the range I grew to appreciate the extra bite of the PRO's 20 lpi once my hands started sweating. I absolutely loved the Black-T PRO finish over the CQB's and I was looking for the ambi-safety of the PRO. I also was partial to the PRO's clean look with the lack of front slide cocking serrations. Both pistols were extremely accurate, but the PRO just seemed to give me an advantage in shooting because it was "my fit."

Though I might still consider adding a CQB to the collection later on, in choosing between the two I found a lot of comfort (and perhaps I just enjoy the novelty) in the fact that the SA PRO passed what I understand to be the most rigorous test of a 1911 to date... The FBI test for what manufacturer would win their contract. Very interesting reading. Here's the Link. (In all fairness, I believe Wilson eventually dropped out and didn't compete head to head at the end).

Lastly, I always heard that the SA Custom Shop had customer service that was second to none. Once I spoke with Deb, the Custom Shop Director, to get more info on the building of the PRO, I was won over.

As far a price is concerned, if you look hard you can find a PRO for between $1800-$1900. In fact I believe there's a NIB PRO for sale over on ar15.com right now in that price range.

Perhaps I'm a bit proud, but here's the most recent range session with the best shootin' gun I've ever picked up:

Last edited by TXAG96; 09-01-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:10 PM

wow - beautiful gun and even nicer shooting! That's not very many holes for 25 rounds. Nice work.
Semper Fidelis
Old 09-01-2006, 12:17 PM

Hopefully the other 20 rounds went through the same holes...
Old 09-07-2006, 08:08 PM

Not looking to stir the pot here -

There is a good discussion in the SA forum on how and what comprises a Pro. It should be noted that a PRO has MIM, and the ejector is glued, not pinned. I have also read some interesting comments regardlng Nowlin barrels. Wilson on the other hand uses an obscure barrel maker out of Tulsa I believe. Per a phone conversation with Wilson yesterday - a CQB does not have any MIM.

I am kinda sorta scratching around for another as well, the Pro, CQB, Talon and RRA Pro are all of interest.

Good luck

Last edited by HP12C; 09-08-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:05 PM

[QUOTE=SVTNate]Yes, but have you owned a PRO? It's nothing at all like other Springfields.

The PRO is one of the finest semicustom 1911's available. However, so is the CQB. I'd try to shoot both, or at least handle both. It will boil down to preference, as both guns are hand-fitted, target-accurate, combat-reliable, and expensive. I like the PRO a lot, and prefer the Black-T finish, but I don't like the ambi safety setup nor the fact that the trigger guard is not undercut (neither is the CQB though).

I am concerned about your price range that you mention. Street cost of a CQB should be about $1600-$1800 depending on location and options. Street cost of a PRO is hundreds more. Don't get suckered into paying MSRP for a CQB, but the PRO unfortunately can't be had at deep discounts like the CQB.[/QUOTE]

Not any more, Wilson upped the price on the CQB. It's now in the same MSRP range as the Pro. They were also rarely found under $1899. Now they are in the $2200 MSRP range.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_cqb.asp

Clint Smith, Director, Thunder Ranch
Old 09-07-2006, 09:13 PM

I think you'd be happy with either. I'd go with the one that holds more sway for whatever reason.

If you had one of each, without any signs of which was which, then you had a dozen shooters wring them out on the range you'd get some people choosing one and some the other and probably even some folks choosing differently than they had guessed they would.

Look forward to reading your impressions about the one that you choose.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:49 PM

Was quoted $1865.00 today for an NIB Government Wilson CQB T-A (single safety)

Hope it helps
Old 09-08-2006, 08:19 PM

Does anyone have a link to the group Wilson buy at AR-15? I believe it ends in about a week, and the prices are the lowest I've seen.

I can't find it, and I can't do a search because I'm not a member, and I can't join because I don't have a non-anonymous email provider.

If you don't want to post a link, I would appreciate it if you would post the email addy of the guy putting it on.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:23 PM

Or even better shoot me an email with the link.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:36 PM

the guy's name was Kblagg - he quoted me a cash price of $1,800 ($1,855 CC) for a WCQB-T-A. I was under the impression it fizzled since it is no longer listed in the EE. Am I wrong?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffnevy
Does anyone have a link to the group Wilson buy at AR-15? I believe it ends in about a week, and the prices are the lowest I've seen.

I can't find it, and I can't do a search because I'm not a member, and I can't join because I don't have a non-anonymous email provider.

If you don't want to post a link, I would appreciate it if you would post the email addy of the guy putting it on.
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT A GROUP BUY, BUT HERE'S A LINK FOR A GUY ON AR15.COM SELLING A NIB Wilson Combat CQB 5" FOR $1850: LINK

FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN THE SA PRO, HERE'S A LINK TO A NIB SA PRO FOR THE SAME PRICE: LINK

Last edited by TXAG96; 09-09-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:06 AM

Own both. Would carry either with no qualms. It boils down to your preferences.

The biggest differences that you'll notice are the 20 lpi checkering on the Pro (which I greatly prefer) the grip safeties (I slightly prefer wilson), and the thumb safety (Springfield's is a bit awkward to me for high thumb shooting).

Don't worry about the barrels. They work and they last.

Both companies have good service. Both are very accurate, and both have very good triggers.

To me the Pro feels slightly more "chunky" and solid (like an S class mercedes) but that's sort of subjective as the Wilson is a very solid gun too.

If you have shot a lot you'll know which one is for you when you hold 'em.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:59 AM

last I heard a few dealers compained,and it kind of got canceled
Old 09-09-2006, 01:57 PM

I know an FBI SWAT team member and another LE type who carried a pro working with them. They both say the pro is a top notch gun. I wouldn't mind getting one. My new Wilson CQBs were cheaper then the prices listed for the pro above, however, out the door. That and the customer service drove my decision.
Matt
Old 09-20-2006, 01:18 PM

I've read that the Wilson barrels are semi-fit, semi-drop-in? Not fully fit in all areas.

I don't know what that means in the long term, but I think the Pros are hard fit (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeH
If this is discussed elsewhere, please link me.

I am facing this choice NOW, prices quite similar, NIB.

Based on experience, what would you do now if price were no object and you didn't already have one or the other? I know I know, it would be difficult to have experience if you didn't own one, but it's a hypothetical question.

Thanks!
they are bolth good guns, but have you considered the pimp factor of the wilson

With all BS aside, i chose the CQB for several reasons, overall feal, reliability, wilson customer service, lifetime warenty, totally custom built and seriously nothing shoots like a wilson 1911.

Off Duty- Detonics combat master, Glock 27

Toy- Colt 1911 series 80, all wilson parts