1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 07-30-2006, 03:01 PM

Llama 45 acp?

Hi everybody!

I'm new in this forum and would like to share my present "not-knowing" with you, thats if you would be able to help me in my "problem".

I work in a gun store (summer job) and in last week a customer gave his Llama .45 IX-C, yearmodel -95 for us to sell. I inspected it and tried it and it felt good and looked nice. After that I was hooked and wanted to buy a .45 1911. He had shot little over 200 rounds with it. Barrel looked to be in good condition and so did slide.

I consider myself as an casual shooter, i would possibly shoot something like 1000 rounds max with it. I am a student so budget is tight, and that Llama would fit in it. I live in Finland and we don't have that many options that you can find in USA, especially in 1911 configuration. Of course we have Colt and possibly Springfield but a brand new gun won't fit in my limited budget. The price level is a bit different in here from guns than in USA. (new Llama max-II L/F costs 478 (621 USD), in USA you can get a new one with under 300 USD+tax).

But, I know about Llamas bad reputation, especially during years 92-95 the quality was, generally speaking, sinking.

So, to question: Do you have any experinence with Llamas, particulary on .45 acp? Was it a good gun or did you wanted to get rid of it as quickly as possible?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:25 PM

I know someone in my IPSC club that has over 10K rounds to his Llama (true 1911 clone, no external extractor) with no failures (I Know, I shoot with him all the time). Did he just got lucky? Probably so, but bare in mind that first rate manufacturers can have bad ones too, the same can be said the other way around. So, yes, there are good Llama's out there.
Is it a true 1911 clone? If its not, I'll probably pass.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:26 PM

I forgot, he only uses round nose ammo only. I don't think it functions with HP's.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:39 PM

Well only using Round noses wouldn't be a problem, because in Finland HP's are forbidden in pistols, in larger calibers(all .45's are, that I know of). They are classified as an "Extremely Dangerous Ammunition" and can only be bought with a specialized license. We are not allowed to hunt with pistols here either.

So not a problemo. I know that you can get a excellent one or a cr*p, but I surely will try it on a range before buying.

EDIT: It is with 2-row magazine. But I have to check it out and search for differences with an Colt that we also have.

Last edited by Liba85; 07-30-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:45 PM

If you can shoot it before you buy it you'll quickly find out if its a good specimen or not. I'd only buy a Llama if (a) the price was right and (b) I could shoot it before buying.

You seem to be able to cover both so I'd say go for it if it works, most of the Llamas I see at the range won't empty a magazine without a stoppage of some kind (note I say most not all). So if you can shoot a box of ammo without issues, I'd be willing to bet yours is one of the good ones.

--wally.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:17 AM

I had a Llama Max-I for a while. It was my first .45, and it performed fine. The only difficulty I ever had with it is when it jammed up using a friends reloads, but using factory ammo (ball) it never gave me any problems.
Because my experience with Llama was positive, I don't feel or think negatively toward them, and since they're not being made any longer, I'd snatch one if it was affordable.
Are you able to get Rock Island 1911's there?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:25 AM

Have anybody tried Llama with Aguilas .45 acp, ball? They have quite "light" loading, so if that Llama works with them, then I'll buy it.. I'm going to try it out on wednesday.

About Rock Island, thats negative. We do have an Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec, but it costs 950,00 as new and Springfield Trophy Match 1911-A1 STS, 1795,00. Little bit way too much for my wallet .

And it doesn't have an external extractor. Full clone, expect 2-row magazine.

Last edited by Liba85; 07-31-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liba85
About Rock Island, thats negative.
Tanfoglio 1911 is made by Armscor/RIA. Not sure if you have it there.

Anyway, try that Llamma with at least 2 full mags. Do rapid fire strings. If it works, buy it. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_666
If you can shoot it before you buy it you'll quickly find out if its a good specimen or not. I'd only buy a Llama if (a) the price was right and (b) I could shoot it before buying.

You seem to be able to cover both so I'd say go for it if it works, most of the Llamas I see at the range won't empty a magazine without a stoppage of some kind (note I say most not all). So if you can shoot a box of ammo without issues, I'd be willing to bet yours is one of the good ones.

--wally.
I agree. I had a LLams Mini Max, and it couldn't shoot a magazine without either a FTF/FTE or both. I didn't pay much for it didn't lose much when I traded it back so I just had a bunch of frustration with it. As others have said it looks like you are able to check it out pretty thouroughly so hopefully it will be a good one.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:37 PM

QC & reliability were all over the place in the 70's-80's....although my brother had one in the early 70's that would feed anything available then. Actually, he had two, a .45 & .38 Super, and he carried them both for duty guns at different times. I had two of their little '1911-esque' .22's over the years and could never get either of them to run. Too bad, they were cool little guns.

I do recall that Bro's .45 shot spang on the sights at about 20 paces, and that it was the first (sorta) 1911 I ever shot. There is a warped side of me that would just love to have one in bright nickel too

Visit us at The Sixgun Journal or the archive, at http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/
Old 08-01-2006, 04:24 AM

We do have Tanfoglios, I didn't know they are made by Rock Island.. But can't find any used ones.

I try to shoot those Aguilas 230gr. FMJ's and maybe some 3Dblue's 230gr Lead noses. If that gun works with them then i'm gonna aguire my first 1911. NICE.

Thanks guys for your help. I'm going to post my conclusion here tomorrow after some "test-drive".
Old 08-01-2006, 11:02 AM

I know you have the itch for a 45, but if you can wait and save up a bit more I'd choose the Tanfoglios unless the price difference is unreasonable. Llama is out of business, so I'm not sure what kind of customer service you could get through Firestorm on a used Llama. Wait a little longer, save up some more money, and get a new Tanfoglios (Rock Island.) If these's not a severe price difference, it would probably be worth the wait.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:06 AM

i have a llama minimax 45. it shoots fine. if it shoots full load ammo but stumbles on lighter loads, it just requires a lighter recoil spring ....pretty standard stuff and any 1911 recoil spring should fit it.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:41 PM

ok, but the thing is that my boss gave it today for me, free off charge.. as an bonus for a work well done .. that's very kind from him.

So now I'm a (hopefully) happy owner of an 1911 (clone).. Tomorrow i'm going to range to try it out. If it dosen't works perfectly with those Aguila light loads, then I'm going to order that lighter recoil spring..
Old 08-02-2006, 01:16 PM

Conclusion.

Ok, went today to range after work. Shot 100 rounds (Aguilas 230gr FMJ) no misfires, no loading errors.. Llama worked perfectly.

So now I can honestly say that I am a happy owner of a "1911". My girlfriend is already getting a little pissed-off, because I use more time in it than to her , at least that is what she says.. Nice..

Thanks guys for answering and providing me with hints.. It seems that my gun is a "good" Llama.. Maybe I buy an Colt after graduating (2,5 years, min.)
Old 08-02-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liba85
Maybe I buy an Colt after graduating (2,5 years, min.)
Better yet, get a Para-Ordnance (or maybe an SPS) so both guns can share the same mags. ' easier on the logistics dept.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Banned

That is a pretty cool bonus.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:01 PM

Jep, I got to compare different guns then.. But now I enjoy my Llama for a while ..

That really was a nice bonus indeed..
Old 08-03-2006, 05:01 PM

As a bonus? Awesome!
Enjoy the Llama!