1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Competitive Shooting

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 04:32 PM

Best Factory 9mm 1911 For Cometitive shooting

I'm on the hunt for the best 9mm 1911 factory gun. My goal would be to have one gun that I could shoot in IDPA, Steel, Bianci, American Handgunner, and even bullseye centerfire matches with. Accuracy is of course very important but while a longslide STI or Baer might be perfect, they arn't IDPA legal. I'm leaning torwards the springfield 9mm and maybe having a match barrel instaled if need be or maybe the STI rangemaster II.
Any suggetions would be most appreciated, even if they are outside the 1911 family.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

I can't tell you what is best, but I can offer my opinion as to what is NOT best. I purchased a Springfield 9mm about 20 months ago, specifically to use in NRA Action Pistol. As it came stock, the trigger was atrocious. It was so bad, I couldn't even shoot groups off the bench. Sent it to Wilson's for a (very expensive) trigger job. Even with a great trigger and JPoint sight it will only do about 3" groups @ 25yds. I shot it in competition for a full season and never achieved the scores fired in previous seasons with a 45acp 1911. "Retired" it this season in favor of a revolver.

I've read on another recent thread about this same subject that some folks are happy with the improved accuracy of their Springfield 9mm's by adding a well-fitted match grade barrel. Of course, YMMV.

Good shooting.....Rod.

Last edited by RetiredRod; 07-24-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:16 PM

Thanks Rod. Yea a trigger job, match barrel, mag well...it seems that the springer will need a lot of work out of the box to deliver the groups I'm looking for. My Kimber Team Match .45 has been excelent with only a trigger job. I'm tempted to go Kimber again but wanted to try something different. I even concidered the S&W performance center 9mm target gun, and the Sig X-five. But in the end, I know I can always find a good gunsmith that work on a 1911 and parts are easy to find. I ideally want 1-1.5 inches at 25 yards 3"at 50 yards, so I can stay comepitive in NRA Action Pistol.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:49 PM

I have a SA 9mm, that was awful in the stock condition. I sent it to EGW for trigger work, koening hammer and EGW sear. Also sent a Barsto barrel and it was installed. Now, it will shoots close to one inch, if I do my part, offhand at 25 yds. It would not do that when I bought it.
Now for the ammo question I have only tried American Eagle 115 gr'ers and the White Box 115 grs ammo. The AE shoots about 50' faster than the WWB but both shoot well at 25 yds.
I've used this gun for steel shooting like the Steel Challenge and it does very well. It is fast and on Outer Limits, I have shot three shot groups on the far plates with the hits almost toughing each other, granted not everytime.
I also have a Sig P226 ST that shoots the about 2 " groups at 25 yds with WWB 115grs. I have tried the Atlantic Arms ammo 147 grs with not really any better results than the WWB 115s. Although, it was ALOT softer recoiling that the 115s.
So, in the end I would just buy the WWB 115 grs from Walmart because to me, it shoots well enough and I can get when I need it and not have to worried about mail ordering it.
thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 06:32 PM

It looks like I will be doing the same thing with a SA. I'll take it to Kings for the match barrel and trigger job.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:40 PM

Sounds good. The thing about most gunshops around the L.A. area is that if your looking for a 2.5 lb trigger pull, even with the best trigger parts supplied, they will not do it.
If you want a 2.5 lb pull or less, sending the gun to a smith who is willing to do it and deals with competive shooters is the only way.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:49 PM

I do have a local smith who did a 2.5lb job on my kimber, nice work. In the end, I might have him do everything on the SA. His turn time is much better. I'd love to cloverleaf 9mm rounds on the far plates of outer limits, that's the goal.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:05 PM

I do have a local smith who did a 2.5lb job on my kimber, nice work. In the end, I might have him do everything on the SA. His turn time is much better. I'd love to cloverleaf 9mm rounds on the far plates of outer limits, that's the goal. Glad to hear the wwb is capable of that kind of accuracy as the ability to buy ammo at Wally world is a big reason I'm going 9mm.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:17 PM

I shoot a SA 9mm in IDPA. The gun is mediocre even after a trigger job and new sights. For the cost of the the upgrades to make it a good gun you can just buy a STI Trojan.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:58 PM

Just as a side note, I also have a XD with trigger work and Bomars with a stock barrel from Canyon Creek. That gun with WWB 115 will group 2 to 2.5 when I have done my best, at 25 yds. Maybe a Barsto barrel would do better or a shooter capable of better groups. But for me with that setup I really couldnt ask for more with WWB. The only thing about the XD's is the broken parts and replacement parts from SA. But thats another story.
thanks
Old 07-25-2006, 08:28 AM

First off let me tell you that you get what you pay for. I have about 25 1911's in 9mm and a handfull of 38 supers,40s, 9x23's, and 10mm's. Hands down the best I've have is the Wilson CQB. However with a 2500.00 price tag, one would expect that. That being said you can take any 9mm 1911 and turn it into a tack driver. Start with a good base gun and add a tightly fit barrel and a crisp trigger and you have a nice gun. Add the sights and your ready to go. All the springers I've had I ended up selling except for the 9x23 which I customized and fit with a 9mm barrel. Also look at the STI Trojan. If you can shoot a gun that has been customized than I would suggest a current Colt in 38 Super and fit a 9mm barrel in it, It's the best base gun on the market today.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:17 PM

Thanks, for the insight. It really seems that the springers are not the quality base gun I thought they were. I'll look into the STI Trogan and maybe the rangemaster II. Both seem like quality production guns, but the original Range master seems perfect for steel and Action Pistol, I just wish it was OK for IDPA. I'll check out the colts as well.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:42 PM

I must be one of the lucky ones that had a superb stock SA 9mm. Everything was perfect about the gun. Except for the financial condition I fell into which forced me to sell it.
"You see, Doctor, God didn't kill that little girl. Fate didn't butcher her and destiny didn't feed her to those dogs. If God saw what any of us did that night he didn't seem to mind. From then on I knew... God doesn't make the world this way. We do."

-Rorschach
Old 07-25-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDPA4U
Any suggetions would be most appreciated, even if they are outside the 1911 family.

Thanks
A S&W Performance Center 952 could be a good fit for you. They're exceptionally well made pistols with great triggers and excellent accuracy.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:31 PM

The 952 is a great gun. Unfortunately the safety is in a less than optimum place for those used to a frame mounted safety.
"You see, Doctor, God didn't kill that little girl. Fate didn't butcher her and destiny didn't feed her to those dogs. If God saw what any of us did that night he didn't seem to mind. From then on I knew... God doesn't make the world this way. We do."

-Rorschach
Old 07-25-2006, 06:59 PM

Agreed.
A friend had his PPC-9 at the range today. Now that is an accurate 9mm but still burdened with the slide safety; plus it is only sold to cops because it does not have a magazine disconnect and Americans are not smart enough to get along without that.
I have a picture from the early days of the PC of a .40 with frame safety. No price given. Like a yacht, if you have to ask, you couldn't afford it anyhow.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I'm on the hunt for the best 9mm 1911 factory gun.
I have a Kimber Tac Pro II 9mm that I use for IDPA. It's a great gun, but probably not the best for competition due to the alloy fram and shorter slide.
Great trigger though.
Kimber makes a 9mm Stainless Target II that is steel and 5 inches. It would be a good choice IMO.
Good luck.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:09 PM

One of my friends and shooting buddies has crossed the 100,000 round mark with his STI Trojan 9mm a long time ago. He shoots twice a week and is fortunate enough to attend shooting schools on at least a monthly basis.

The gun has almost no finish left accept a little on the middle of the slide and generally is covered in some sort of tape around the frame- but it just keeps running and running.

I think any properly setup gun should work fine. My 9mm 1911 is a Colt and it may have 10,000 rounds through it but probably isn't there yet. In my experience as long as you get good magazines any properly setup 9mm 1911 is a lot of fun and freakishly reliable.

Good luck!

Brent
Old 07-25-2006, 08:43 PM

Kimber target 9mm.

Hello: I have a friend with a Kimber stainless target 9mm. It is a tack driver right out of the box. The trigger was better after 1000 rounds or so. It is a great pistol and I was going to buy one at the time but could not find any so I bought a Kimber Grand Raptor. It is a great pistol as well with over 3500 rounds and counting. Hope this helps. You could also start reloading and shoot 45acp. Thanks Eric
Old 07-26-2006, 12:57 AM

STI Trojan or S&W 945.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:12 AM

I don't shoot IDPA (doesn't exist here) so I'm not sure about the rules....

This is my 9mm IPSC Standard Pistol. Except the fiber optic front sight it is as it came.

It is a BUL IPSC, 9mm.
Widebody, 9mm 1911 style, with sythentic frame.

Here is a casual 50 Metre (55 Yard) group. Photographed for the sake of it, rather than the rather ordinary group. (complete with vertical stringing) If a pay attention the group can drop a great deal.

Comes with a bul barrell

Last edited by young-kiwi; 07-26-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

I have the STI Trojan which is a great gun out of the box. I switched out the factory recoil spring (14#) for a 10# spring and problems with the slide stop not locking back after the last round ended. Gun is accurate with little recoil. The Para P 18 is said to be an excellent choice if you want a high capacity gun. Unfortunately it has a problem making the IDPA weight limit.

Single stack 1911's are hampered by their 9 round mags for IDPA. We have the 10 rd limit up here so basically the Para double stack is limited to 10 rds as well.

Best

Bob
Old 07-27-2006, 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the great info. I thought about the S&W 945 but havn't been able to handle one yet but the safety issue would probably disqualify it in my book. I have a Kimber Team Match in .45 that I Love and is a real tackdriver.
I had some 185gr LSW loads made up at about 750fps that probably have a similar recoil impulse as a 9mm and after first test proved very accurate. I can certainly use this load for steel and Action pistol, but the lower velocity makes follow through very important, and makes the mover extra challenging. Bottom line is I just want a new gun that's different from my kimber but very practicle for competition. It seems the majority have pointed to the STI Trogen so I'm going to do some investigating. Though the lines of the range master II with the squared trigger guard and squared dust cover, looks great. Just have to add a magwell and I'm good to go. I'm going to talk to the guys at kings and see what kind of deal they can give me to build a similar gun from the SA and crunch the numbers. I love the idea that the Trogen held up for 100,000 rounds. That's the kind of performance I'm looking for. I would have gone kimber but most smiths I talk to don't like to work on them plus variety is the spice...
Any other insight would be much appreciated. Or if anyone has shot a range master II I would love to hear about it.
Thanks
EK
Old 07-27-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info. I thought about the S&W 945 but havn't been able to handle one yet but the safety issue would probably disqualify it in my book. IEK
What safety issue?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVelSword
The 952 is a great gun. Unfortunately the safety is in a less than optimum place for those used to a frame mounted safety.
I meant 952 and the difficulty disengaging it on the draw, I would imagine. Havn't shot one yet.

Last edited by IDPA4U; 07-28-2006 at 04:15 AM.
Closed Thread