1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 07-17-2006, 08:01 PM

Will Kimber Replace a slide if User Pays

Question. Has anyone called Kimber and requested that they replace their ExEx side with one that that an internal extractor? If so, what was the cost and the turn around time.

I have a Gold Combat RL II that has always run fine, but I wanted to see what my options were.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 PM

Shoot them an email.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:05 PM

If you email, let us know what the response is.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:52 PM

The answer given to me was no.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:59 PM

The slides and frames are supposed to be mated during early production. They probably don't want the hassle of fitting another slide unless there is an actual problem.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:45 PM

The slide and frame are in fact paired up during manufacture (as is evidensed by the serial number scribed in the slide). I've had slides replaced and I've had frames replaced.

Others have had slides replaced when the EE failed them.

IF you EE is causing you trouble I'd ask them to replace the slide at THEIR cost.

In any case... they should be willing to replace it at you cost... But why? If it runs then it runs and you have the benefit of no extractor tuning. If it does not run then get them to pay for the replacement. Though I DO see an issue for long term ownership where you cannot get parts.

If that's the issue get them to send you a bunch of EEs, they should have a bucket full by now.

It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; YMMV.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:20 PM

Yes. I the slide and frame are "matted" but all that means is they fitted them together. No different that if I had my gunsmith do the same to a Caspian.

The ExEx tuning issue is what bothers me in the long run. If something does go wrong, I am not in a position to mess with the ExEx. Now as for the regular extractor, I can tune a couple and keep them in my range bag ready to go.

At this point, I think I will just keep it and if I start to have problems, I will order a Caspian slide.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 07-19-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson
Yes. I the slide and frame are "matted" but all that means is they fitted them together. No different that if I had my gunsmith do the same to a Caspian.

The ExEx tuning issue is what bothers me in the long run. If something does go wrong, I am not in a position to mess with the ExEx. Now as for the regular extractor, I can tune a couple and keep them in my range bag ready to go.

At this point, I think I will just keep it and if I start to have problems, I will order a Caspian slide.

Regards,
Greyson
If the gun is extracting fine now, then the only future tuning to do on the EE is a new spring. You can order extra power Kimber extractor springs from Wolff.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:46 PM

My TLE is at KMI right now, they are replaceing the EE Slide for an Internal, 4-8 weeks waiting. Talk nice to them, they know you paid $900 for your gun, you don't have to remind them.

I asked to pay for an ambi-safety, they're doing it for free. I put a comment & explaination about the problems with the gun, that the originial mag never worked, I'm getting 2 tac-mag's for free too.

Kimber is standing behind thier guns even after the 1 year mark.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:10 PM

There is no external extractor tuning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson

Regards,
Greyson
There is no external extractor tuning; that's the only advantage... If I had an ExEx Kimber I'd be acquiring spare springs and extractors.

It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...

Old 07-20-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmrain
There is no external extractor tuning; that's the only advantage... If I had an ExEx Kimber I'd be acquiring spare springs and extractors.
Warm Hey man!! If I decided not to buy another Kimber and kept my Custom, is it safe to say that my only two options for the long haul is to buy some EE and springs, or to get the slide replaced at a later date? If the slide needed to be replaced, I would have availability to do so correct? I mean any slide manufacturer can go on my KImber right? I am asking because I do plan on keeping this gun. I want to know that I have options if the EE become obsolete..........

KIMBER CUSTOM II W/EE OVER 3000RDS
ZERO MALFUNCTIONS
Old 07-20-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmrain
... If I had an ExEx Kimber I'd be acquiring spare springs and extractors.
Has anyone tried to buy additional extractors from Kimber?
Old 07-20-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITMASTER
Warm Hey man!! If I decided not to buy another Kimber and kept my Custom, is it safe to say that my only two options for the long haul is to buy some EE and springs, or to get the slide replaced at a later date? If the slide needed to be replaced, I would have availability to do so correct? I mean any slide manufacturer can go on my KImber right? I am asking because I do plan on keeping this gun. I want to know that I have options if the EE become obsolete..........
Here's my thinking... Internal Extractor slides should be available for as long as Kimber makes 1911s and they should be able to replace your slide in the future if there was any unforseen reason to do so (e.g. dropped pistol...).

If you were having extraction problems I would "encourage" Kimber to replace the slide now. However if it is running then fine. I would be more comfortable with an extractor or two in my hands just in case and there has to be a 5 gal. paint bucket full of them... And springs too. The spring is the only thing you really should ever have to replace. That is the whole idea behind the external - no trial and error tuning...

I think I saw that Wolff has ExEx springs for the Kimber...?

Now, I am not a gunsmith, this is just my thinking...

Old 07-20-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Phelps
Has anyone tried to buy additional extractors from Kimber?
Yes...contact Dennis @ shop...and do not forget to buy some Wolff extra power springs.