1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 06-29-2006, 03:16 PM

Model 457S recoil spring guide chewed up

Took my S&W457S out to the range on 6/18. It gobbled up 220 grain FMJ with no problems. When I switched to 185 grain SWC it had numerous malfunctions. Just got to cleaning it today and I observed that the recoil spring guide tip looked like a beaver chewed on it. This recoil system consists of a spring around a spring around a hollow rod with a captive recoil sping (maybe a buffer?) INSIDE the rod. There is a black PLASTIC, spring-loaded recoil pin sticking out from the end of the rod. That is the piece that looks chewed on. I remember the old Colt Delta Elite chewing up it's plastic recoil spring guides like crazy. I sure hope S&W isn't going to have the same problem. If anyone is familiar with the H&K USP pistols, it's a similar recoil buffer/spring system.

My questions:
#1 Has anyone else experienced this problem?
#2 Did S&W replace the mangled part and give an explaination for it?
#3 Is there a replacement recoil spring assembly that DOESN'T use all these springs? Something like the one for the Colt Officer's Model 1911 that replaces the multiple spring crap with one heavy duty spring.

Dep
Old 06-29-2006, 03:45 PM

Although I do not have any experience with that pistol model, I do know that S&W has sent me spare/replacement parts free for my pistol without asking any questions, aside from my address. Give them a call- their customer service is top notch.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
Although I do not have any experience with that pistol model, I do know that S&W has sent me spare/replacement parts free for my pistol without asking any questions, aside from my address. Give them a call- their customer service is top notch.
Their customer service may be top notch, but their phone system sucks.
There is NO extension for problems with their pistols. All the other lines put you on indefinite hold. I'll e-mail them and see what happens.

Dep
Old 06-30-2006, 07:16 AM

In my experience they get "chewed up" to an extent, then stop. It didn't effect function on mine, but it looked like hell. If you like, you can take the metal guide rod from a 4516 and replace the plastic one. They are interchangeable. Hope this helps. Regards 18DAI.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:31 PM

18DAI: I was wondering about that. As a matter of fact, I asked Wolff gunsprings if I could just replace that multi-spring setup with the single spring they sell for the 4516-1. No reply back yet. On closer inspection it doesn't seem to be related to function of the pistol. No idea why it is even on there. I had a 4566 and I don't remember it being spring loaded. I also e-mailed S&W with my problem and asked if there is a fix or if they would send me a replacement. Nothing from them yet. Thanks for the info!!!

Dep
Old 06-30-2006, 05:41 PM

When we were issued S&W 4566's, an armorer explained the function of that spring loaded "nipple", for lack of a proper term, that was some time ago. I can't recall what it's function is, but I do recall it was something the armorers checked periodically to insure function of the pistol. I remember them saying how it was bad juju if that part failed. There's a fellow on TFL and the S&W forum, who goes by "Fastbolt". He will know what it does, and probably who invented it! He is an expert in S&W 3rd generation pistols. You may want to post the question there, as alot of us don't get over to the 1911 board very often. You'll get an answer right quick over there. Sorry I wasn't much help, my memory isn't what it used to be, and it wasn't much then! Regards 18DAI.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:09 AM

Update on the guide

Here is my exchange with S&W concerning the problem...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 5:15 PM
To: Smith & Wesson Support
Subject: S&W Model 457S recoil guide problem.

Dear Sirs,
I recently purchased a S&W Model 457S and took it out to
the range on 6/18. I fired about 25 rounds of 230 grain FMJ through the
pistol and then packed it up. Today I took it out to clean it, and after
breaking it down, noticed that the plastic tip on the internal recoil
buffer inside the recoil spring guide looks like someone had been chewing
on it!!!! I can't believe this is normal wear for this item. I hate to
think what it will look like after 100 rounds. Has anyone else had this
problem? Is there a product upgrade available? Rather than having 2
springs and a buffer to absorb recoil, why nor just use one heavy duty
spring??? In any event, can you provide me with a replacement recoil
spring guide until this situation is fixed by the factory?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Bonomo

And their reply...

To: "Michael L Bonomo"
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:36:57 -0400
Subject: RE: S&W Model 457S recoil guide problem.

Sir. you will get noticeable wear , however although it is plastic it is also very durable. If you would like a replacement, we can send you one out under warranty. Call our parts dept. at 1-800-331-0852 ext 2905.

-------------------------------------
The thing is...does he mean I will get noticeable wear if I don't replace the original guide rod with a duplicate, or does he mean I will get noticeable wear if I replace it with the 4516 guide? At any rate, I'm gonna order a new 457S guide rod and see what happens. If it gets chewed up again, my next step is a trade in for a Springfield Armory Custom Loaded Champion 1911-A1.

Dep

Last edited by DeputyRet; 07-15-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI
When we were issued S&W 4566's, an armorer explained the function of that spring loaded "nipple", for lack of a proper term, that was some time ago. I can't recall what it's function is, but I do recall it was something the armorers checked periodically to insure function of the pistol. I remember them saying how it was bad juju if that part failed. There's a fellow on TFL and the S&W forum, who goes by "Fastbolt". He will know what it does, and probably who invented it! He is an expert in S&W 3rd generation pistols. You may want to post the question there, as alot of us don't get over to the 1911 board very often. You'll get an answer right quick over there. Sorry I wasn't much help, my memory isn't what it used to be, and it wasn't much then! Regards 18DAI.
I found out yesterday on the phone with S&W what that little plastic tip gizmo is related to. It works with the slide lock. At any rate...they are sending out a replacement AGAIN after they lost my first order. I wish I was having the wonderful experiences everyone else seems to have with S&W customer service. So far it has been worse than Auto Ordnance...which is saying a LOT.

Dep
Old 08-11-2006, 05:56 PM

Hooray! Got my replacement recoil spring guide today. Have to make a range date and see if it holds up better than the crappy plastic one that originally came with it. This one is off a 4513 and has a metal tip.

Dep
Old 08-12-2006, 06:15 AM

Next time when you call Customer Service, during normal business hours, try it with out the attitude. You will be pleasantly surprised at the level of service you get back from them.

Bob
Old 08-12-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbert0005
Next time when you call Customer Service, during normal business hours, try it with out the attitude. You will be pleasantly surprised at the level of service you get back from them.

Bob
If you are talking to me you are WAY off. I had NO attitude. The attitude developed after WEEKS with no part sent and no contact from S&W. When I talked to the customer service rep BOTH TIMES, I was the model of Mr. Nice Guy. The first rep must have just filed my order in the "circular file" after he took it. The second rep actually handled my order and gave me an order number. Seems like customer service varies depending on who you talk to on the phone.

Dep