1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 06-12-2006, 02:13 AM

THE RANGER, Imperial Defence Services Ltd.

So far THE RANGER unit has performed well during training. Armscor's .45 ACP combat loads of 230 grains suits just fine for this gun. I suggest never to use reloads (which does not match the weight of the recoil spring), the only problem is the matte finish.... frequent friction with my quickdraw holster wears the paint off. Despite this gun's excellent performance in my training, I just don't know if this really is BRITISH made. Is it?

Last edited by jakechicano; 06-12-2006 at 09:31 PM. Reason: question addded
Old 06-12-2006, 06:56 AM

Recoils springs can be changed and reloads can be adjusted for whatever FPS you want
NRA Life Member
Old 06-12-2006, 08:35 PM

The Ranger

yup I know recoil springs can be adjusted and we can choose a variety of reloads. Thanks BillD. Anyhow, I saw an article here which said his Imeprial Defence Unit goes full auto.... is this real? because I have been thru the Imperial Defence website and it doesn't say that their 1911's have full auto capability. mine neither. I think the article I saw was just a hoax.

Last edited by jakechicano; 06-12-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:57 PM

Location: Land of mists and mellow fruitfulness...oh, and rain. Lots.
I'm thinking that when he talks about it going full auto, he means unintentionally, which, though doubtless entertaining for a magazine or two, means his gun is somewhat buggered. The sear is not holding the hammer or the disconector is not resetting. Might I ask how familiar are you with this weapon that you thought it might have some hitherto undiscovered full auto feature ?
I don't believe that it is made in Britain...
"Please also note that IMPERIAL DEFENCE SERVICES Ltd. also distributes (and seems to manufacture) a .45 selfloading handgun called 1911A1-RANGER; a very similar weapon is assembled by FIC - FLORO INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION of the Philippines as the "Federal" pistol, with parts built in Vietnam. The IMPERIAL DEFENCE "1911A1-Ranger" pistols seem to share this similarity with them."

and about it's Ranger HP Browning alike...
"The IMPERIAL DEFENCE SERVICES "Ranger-HP" pistol seems to be a British-made clone of the ARCUS 94 selfloading handgun of Bulgarian manufacture, this being a modernized, SA/DA version of the original "Browning High-Power" pistol. IMPERIAL DEFENCE SERVICES Ltd., a company based in the United Kingdom, claims to be the manufacturer of this weapon; liaisons with ARCUS of Bulgaria should however be investigated further, since the Company itself admits to be able to export these pistols from Bulgaria."

Last edited by asiparks; 06-12-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:12 AM

British or Not

So now it is settled that this gun doen't have any full auto capability. With regard to the manufactuer, I think this "THE RANGER" .45 1911 that I have didn't come from England, London as it says on its slide. I think you may be right about it being made or assembled in the Philippines and perhaps parts coming from Vietnam. I'm really not sure yet. I will have to ask around further. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:56 PM

Location: Land of mists and mellow fruitfulness...oh, and rain. Lots.
learn to shoot like this gentleman and you won't need full auto
http://us.sabretactical.com/CAR/45.mpg