1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 06-03-2006, 06:23 PM

Glaser Power Ball ammo reviews?

I was thinking of getting the .45 Glaser Power Ball ammo as it would have the feeding characteristics of ball ammo which my 1911 and most 1911s love with the expanding ability of hollow points. I would think this to be the best of both worlds and have read that it is good because it will feed reliably, expand more slowly and not jam with fabric as is in some cases of hollow point ammo.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:08 PM

different?

I am not at all well versed on this, but it was my opinion that Glasser and PowRBall were two different types of ammo. The Glasser is designed for minimal penatration, while the PowRBall functions more like a normal HP, yet has the polymer tip to make it feed like a ball round. I'm sure if I'm wrong on this, It will be called to my attention without hesitation.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:02 PM

Glaser powerball is how it's being marketed now vs corbon powerball. Other than that it's still the same.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:26 AM

I agree, Nakano, about the design being the best of both worlds concerning reliability. The thing that I don't like is the bullet weight. The longer profile with the ball will not allow a heavier bullet without over-insertion into the case.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:12 PM

Agreed, you can only get 165 grain with the 45 ACP Pow'RBall.

The 1911 has some points that can require care for reliability, but being able to feed modern premium self defense / law enforcement JHP's such as Golden Saber, Gold Dot, or Federal HST should NOT be among them... should be simple enough if not indeed already the case for those to run flawlessly. And there is much more basis to have confidence in these ammunition types.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:02 PM

I got a free box of 9mm Pow-R-Ball yet never carried it in my concealed-carry 9mm. I'm a firm believer in deep penetrating heavy bullets vs. hi-speed energy transfer from light bullets.

Just my opinion, but I don't carry anything lighter than 200-gr in .45ACP. I'd rather be able to reach the giblets from any angle than have a lighter bullet come up short.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:23 PM

Check out the Federal EFMJs, they are available in 165, 200, 200+p and 230 grn. Same basic principle as the powerball and they are less expensive.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:48 AM

Here are a few reviews I found:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/corbon_1209/

http://www.gunblast.com/PowRBall.htm

Some interesting info, I don't know that I would consider either evaluation conclusive.

It may boil down to what philosophy you subscribe to: Fast and light or slow and heavy. Immediate energy release or deep penetration. There are many variables invovled in a defense shooting and both philosophies have performed well In certain circumstances and vice versa.

torrejon224,
I looked at Federal's website and they only list (1) EFMJ load in 165 Gr., and a 200 +P LE load. (Maybe I missed something). Where have you seen the other weights?