1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 04-03-2006, 11:23 PM

Armscor 1911 Philippine made

Are there any Americans using this gun made from the philippines, what is the percentage of user. If one user is here, how would you rate the gun, is it durable, fit for target shooting, reasonable price, comparable to other 1911's clone or whatever comment you can give.

I've heard that this gun has a good market in some areas in the USA or how did it passed the quality control of US on arms if not a good gun.

I asked this because the maker of most parts of CD's and Rock Island pistols were made by Armscor Philippines.
Thank you so much of your feedback.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:38 PM

I use it and I'm really happy with it.
15K rounds and still counting.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:52 AM
Banned

I got mine a few weeks ago and I love it. I've only had 1 FTF in 300 rounds. The low cost was a big +, but there was just something about this .45 that screamed "buy me". I'd say that Rock Island is making a damn fine 1911.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:02 AM

R.I.A. works great

Hello Shy_man, have not had any trouble with my Rock. Would buy another one anytime.

Don
Old 04-04-2006, 10:36 AM

Mine ain't as pretty

Armscor is making 1911's for High Standard as well. I bought one several weeks ago (so far, 700 rds.) in a parkerized quasi-mil-spec version. Impact Guns is selling them online cheap, but I bought mine for a little more at a local gunshop.

No problems so far (well, once I polished the feed ramp), and my perception is that it is extremely accurate if I am. The one magazine that came with it is cheap, so I bought a Chip McCormick.

Other than the magazine, I would say that it is a very well made gun for the money, and I love shooting the ugly S.O.B.. I looked at the fancier 1911s out there and decided that I wanted a rough and ugly one instead, and that's what I got.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Last edited by XTeacher; 04-04-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:43 PM

I have 5 RIA/Armscor pistols as of right now and they all are great. No problems at all with any of them. My RIA Compact in 45ACP is my primary carry weapon. I would say that they are the best value for anyone looking for a good quality 1911 style pistol. Mine will never be sold or traded!!!!

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 04-04-2006, 08:33 PM

For the $$$$ you are going to spend, You can't beat our pistol!
Ivan
Old 04-05-2006, 12:42 AM

I can't imagine being able to do so. It is not a cheap pistol. . .just inexpensive. So far, I've had several 1911 guys at the range and elsewhere remark at quality, accuracy, etc..

Old 04-05-2006, 06:11 AM

Do a search for Rock Island, Armscor and Charles DAly and you'll find lots of satisfied customers. They are great guns for the money.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:55 AM

Hello! to everyone:

I feel elated with the good comments about the Armscor and its other brand but are still armscor factory parts.

I had bought two kinds, the practical series and the GI series (all in .45 cartridges), but I feel better carrying the old ugly GI series having a very low front sight. I have just let it hard chromed of the slide (bright on both sides and the upper part of the slide is dull chromed they called it glass beads), I had changed the GI series hammer into combat one, put long guide rod and I can shoot better now than my M1991A Colt stainless stock. Well I love them all but why I feel that the Armscor is better in my hands while I am holding. Being a Filipino we have still that mental coloniality that anything imported or USA made pistol such as the Colt is the best pistol having name on the range not to mention STI and Caspian, and in the range over here if you only have The Armscor, you are the center of jokes. I said sometimes to myself, these guys are still having their hang-ups on imported guns, does not know about an ISO, ordnance steel that a manufacturer has in the production of pistol. Even crap guns if imported it is good for them (I am referring to many of the shooters in the range). Some shooters in my locality does not even know that Armscorporation made parts for imported guns and only marked with their brand in their respective factories.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6CRV
Hello Shy_man, have not had any trouble with my Rock. Would buy another one anytime.

Don
What the heck is that!! The pad and the grip is the same material, what is that pad for (box of the gun?) it looks like the gun was for display. Exotic beauty N6CRV. RIA is more expensive in Philippine store than the Armscor, and it was mistakenly imported because of the name.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTeacher
Armscor is making 1911's for High Standard as well. I bought one several weeks ago (so far, 700 rds.) in a parkerized quasi-mil-spec version. Impact Guns is selling them online cheap, but I bought mine for a little more at a local gunshop.

No problems so far (well, once I polished the feed ramp), and my perception is that it is extremely accurate if I am. The one magazine that came with it is cheap, so I bought a Chip McCormick.

Other than the magazine, I would say that it is a very well made gun for the money, and I love shooting the ugly S.O.B.. I looked at the fancier 1911s out there and decided that I wanted a rough and ugly one instead, and that's what I got.

Hi XTeacher, I bought one like your GI series or MIL Spec. And it is really good for Plates. I like the sights but one of my gunsmith told me, the sight is good but not good for combat shooting, what does he mean, did he mean I cannot get the front sight fast if I am shooting fast also?

Can you comment on the barrel, is it good as the barrel of Colt and kimber. I have heard that Armscor barrel is not accurate compared to colt barrel or other kinds of barrel made in the USA or foreign countries. The gunsmith told me this: Assuming your pistol was in a vice-grip and put to zero on target. The colt or other USA made barrel bullets will always be placed on the Alpha with the same hole, whereas, the Armscor barrel the bullets fired will enter the alpha onced but the second shot and other shots follows will go farther in groupings. Well, I don't know if I had explained well (remember I am not using a native English tongue.) But I am sure you understand my point. I may say it on other way. My gunsmith told me, the Armscor barrel has a farther groupings whilst the Colt barrel or other USA made has tight groupings. How true is this. This is not to compare but only use as reference. Thanks
Old 04-05-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Mag
I have 5 RIA/Armscor pistols as of right now and they all are great. No problems at all with any of them. ......Mine will never be sold or traded!!!!
Wow, what a nice words, it encourages me to buy more of the Armscor line for the safe.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:42 AM

well made guns good prices but I have seen the prices creeping up on them.
never meet anyone that had a bad word to say about them.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy_man
Can you comment on the barrel, is it good as the barrel of Colt and kimber.
From personal, unscientific experience, I can shoot this one as well as I can shoot a Para Ordnance or a Colt. I don't pretend to be an expert marksman (there is always hope), but I like the way it shoots as a defensive handgun.

If I improve my shooting enough to notice a difference, I may buy a better pistol or at least customize the monster. I need to get better sights first (not the gun's fault, my eyes are bad). I may take a drive up to Parkersburg to visit Mr. Novak one of these days, but the better I am with the existing sights, the better I'll be with nicer ones IMO. Better shooters than I have taken my pistol and shot impressive groups, though.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:50 PM

Stock Grips

Hello Shy_man, those are the grips that came with the RIA. I did recoat them a little. The base is just a peice of wood I had that I put alot of coats of Polyurthne on. The Rock does get shot alot. That is one of the nice things we are able to make them the way we want.
Don
Old 04-05-2006, 07:39 PM

Thanks to all of you who gave comments about this 1911.
At least I have heard from shooters who live from USA and gave assessments to this 1911. Now, I don't feel sorry of my Local guns that I have bought. I have two of them anyway. The other pistol that I am eyeing to buy at the end of this month is the Jericho .45. I just want to try an Israeli made. One of the seller from the National Bureau of Investigation (counterpart of your FBI) want to sell to me his Jericho .45 at a price of 25,000 pesos roughly $480dollars (used gun). I just want to have an Israel made who made the famous SMG Uzi and Galil.

Thank you so much,
Old 04-06-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6CRV
Hello Shy_man, those are the grips that came with the RIA. I did recoat them a little. The base is just a peice of wood I had that I put alot of coats of Polyurthne on. The Rock does get shot alot. That is one of the nice things we are able to make them the way we want.
Don
She's a beauty, no question. Nice work on the stand, too.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:51 PM

I test fire a lot of the pistols that we repaire here in the US. All will shoot the group that they were designed to shoot! Having said that I have shot quite a lot that will shoot with my high dollar pistols. I have seen and shot $3K pistols that shot like S#$T! I don't think it is fair for any Gunsmith to make a blanket statement like that. I'm A trained Gunsmith ( Trinidad School Of Gunsmithing '83) Lets get real!!
Ivan
Old 04-06-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon
I test fire a lot of the pistols that we repaire here in the US. All will shoot the group that they were designed to shoot! Having said that I have shot quite a lot that will shoot with my high dollar pistols. I have seen and shot $3K pistols that shot like S#$T! I don't think it is fair for any Gunsmith to make a blanket statement like that. I'm A trained Gunsmith ( Trinidad School Of Gunsmithing '83) Lets get real!!
Ivan
blackdragon: You have strengthen my belief that, it is time also to cherish our local products that are well made also. Yes, the trend over-here is imported guns, but then, there were times also that very expensive guns has flaws. Like what you said for that 3k pistol, it did not meet of what you have expected from it. Browsing the net especially forums like these where guys have 1st hand great experienced on this pistol is very encouraging to own one. Not that I got good praises from you guys but I believed you have commented honestly from the bottom of your heart.

Maraming salamat po (thank you very much).
Old 04-07-2006, 07:36 AM

Shy Man-- Yes, cherish your local product. The Armscor and the Rock are worthy representatives of a gallant people. Who, in a certain recent unpleasantness with Japan, showed they know a thing or two about firearms.

Not that Rock Islands are supposed to be art, but they can be. Around here we have to take our handguns down to the cop shop for a (never call it a registration) "safety inspection." The only gun I ever took down there that nearly caused a riot was my hard-chromed Rock Island 1911, in .38 Super. All the deputies had to look at it and handle it.

"You've got a nice piece there," the sheriff said.

Yeah, I know.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:03 AM

well here is a thought . how many high dollar race guns or so called proffesional or tactical guns do you see that still have the factory barrel .
at one time I had a bone stock springfield armory with the high visability sights not the gi sites. I got invited to shoot at a pin match . there was a guy there who had spent 1500 dollars on a pin gun and I flat cleaned his clock I cleared the table and that included a reload before he ever knocked the second pin off his. he got so pissed he threw the gun on the ground and then got kicked out of the range . A high dollar pistol dont mean your a high dollar shooter. I have whined about my trigger on my armscor , but I can hit the kill zone at 25 yds every time and every time I pull the trigger the gun goes bang even with the cheap practice ammo I like my armscor so much I am thinking about getting one of 3.5 inch barreled ones.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:47 AM

shy:
i have been in gun shows here in dulles expo center and have yet to see an armscor pistol. nice to know some shooters love their pistol. makes me proud to be a filipino. however, i don't own one yet and i have to get my hands on one of their pistol. how's the accuracy? i have a colt gold cup series 80 and out of the box, it is really sweet. i shoot one hand precision style and can call my shots just like my air pistol. trigger pull is very crisp(some shooters like rolling trigger pull). do they have a target version? im looking to buy a carry pistol soon. i don't want to dehorn my gold cup. keep it up and mabuhay...
Old 04-07-2006, 10:32 AM

I Like Mine!

Here are some pics of my Rock Island Armory .38 Super. The gun nor any of the paperwork states "Armscor" but the lid on the plastic case does. All small print on the paperwork and gun is specific to "Rock Island Armory" and "API-PAHRUMP NV TWIN PINES, PHILS." My understanding is that its still an Armscor gun.

Its a definite good looker and attracts positive attention where ever I take it. Most importantly, it shoots as good as my two Colt and pre-series Kimber 1911's. The trigger pull is not as good as the Kimber's, but is as good as the two Colts.

The small chromed sights make it more difficult to find the target in the sun, but the cool-factor of the gun outweighs that for me.

I'm impressed with it thus far. I've shot it 150 times...no malfunctions what-so-ever. Not an exhaustive reliabilty test, but 100% reliable so far.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:08 AM

She's gorgeous, C&L.