1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Para USA

Old 04-03-2006, 04:07 PM

Para Slide Swap

Was sitting here thinking the other day and was wondering if anyone has done what I would like to do. I want to make a 9mm single stack LDA. Para makes a double stack 9mm and a single stack 45 LDA. Since Para uses ramped barrels in both guns, what would be the chances that I can take the top end off a 9mm LDA Double Stack (DX189S) and swap it out with a Single Stack 45 LDA(DX745S). I realize that I would probably have to change the ejector but everything else should be the same.

Para doesn't seem to be interested in this gun but it would be a great SSP/ESP IDPA gun. Does anyone have a reason that it wouldn't work?

Last edited by JoeMc; 04-03-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:17 PM

Hi,
I'm not an LDA owner, but since the only difference between DA/SA is the trigger mechanism, I think it's not going to work.
Thing is if you had a gun in 40S&W it might work. The frame cut for the barrel is different for a 45 than a 40/9mm. Thats why when you order a frame from Para they need to know what cal. gun you're building.
Did you try 9mm mags in the 45 frame yet? That might illustrate the problem with the barrel fit.
I wish it would work, if it did I'd have me a 3 cal. gun already.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:46 PM

I am talking about 2 LDA guns, Slides are the same dimensions and so are the mags on all single stack 1911's. The cuts in a 1911 frame for a ramped barrel is the same dimensions too.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:54 PM

In general, swapping .45 and 9mm uppers on the same frame is problematic because of the ejector location on the frame. I've heard of 9mm (or .38 Super) and .40S&W (or 10mm) uppers working on the same 1911 frame.

--wally.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:04 AM

But aren't the mounting holes in the same location? It's just a different ejector contour. I've seen a guy take a 45 frame put a 10mm/40 slide and a 38 super barrel together and it runs like a Rolex. You just use the ejector out of a 9mm on the 45 single stack frame.

Last edited by JoeMc; 04-04-2006 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:01 AM

The gun in the picture started life as a P-14 45 cal, it's now a 38 super racegun.
Unless things have changed the holes for the legs on the ejector should be in the same location so the ejector swap should not be a problem.
I would say switching topends could be done as long as your staying with an LDA frame and topend.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old 04-04-2006, 09:49 AM

Thanks, Bob. I also talked to a smith at Para and he said it could work but I have to stay with LDA slides and frames.

Last edited by JoeMc; 04-05-2006 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:14 PM

Well I did it. I ordered a 9mm double stack(DX189S) and a 45 single stack(DX745S. They came in today so I immediatly switched the slides and went into the range and shot both guns. They both functioned perfectly and printed 0ne hole groups at 10 yards. No modifications what so ever.

So the Question is, If I can do it why can't Para? They already make all the components all they need to do is assemble them differently. So insted of two models they now have 4 and if you ream the 9mm chamber you can have a 38 super or 9x23, or maybe a 40 or a 10mm. If enough people request them they may produce the guns.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:34 PM

OK joe,
Catch me up to speed here. Does this only work with LDA's or can I do this with a SA also?
I'm not interested in going from hi-cap to single stack, just from 45 to 9mm, so I can use the same frame for making a steelgun.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:25 PM

The swaps will only work on like guns. Whether it be LDA's or single actions. Since Para uses ramped barrels in all their gun the frames are cut the same to fit them. Thus the frame doesn't know what caliber it is since there is no feed ramp in the frame. The things you have to check are the barrel fit and head space issue which should be fine because your using the same matched barrel and slide. The feet and link may be a bit of and you would have to use kentucky windage but that wasn't the case with this swap. The ejectors were even the same. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:38 AM

Joe,
What you just did is why I never had issues with ramp barrels that some seem to have.
Para guns can be very versatile.
One thing I do recommend is checking the timing of the guns when you switch topends.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 AM

Instead of creating a new thread I thought I would revive this one for a few similar questions.

1.) Would it be possible to combine a 14.45 LDA frame and a Commander length LDA complete slide assembly?

2.) Can one purchase an unmarked/uncut LDA frame from Para?

3.) Can one purchase an unmarked/uncut LDA slide from Para?

4.) Are there any differences between an SA widebody frame and an LDA widebody frame?

5.) Are there any differences between an SA slide and an LDA slide?

Questions 3 & 4 are referring to internal parts assemblies (trigger, fireing pin, etc.)
I am in the planning stage of building a 1911 with these options in mind and it would be nice to know if I am wasting my time or if it is possible. I'm looking for a slide with no sight cuts, slide serration cuts, etc. Just the internal cuts needed to install the proper parts.

My friend and gunsmith, Chad Kandros of Kandros Custom, will be doing the work and his abilities are amazing. I've never handled a 1911 that could beat his for reliability, beauty, and function. His slides feel like they're on ball bearings. Truly they are works of functional art. If you haven't heard of him look him up. The website isn't complete yet but you'll get an idea. You can also find him on facebook.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not here to advertise for him. I just believe I should give credit and merit when it is due.

Thanks and I look forward to all comments,

TT

Last edited by TacTeacher; 06-10-2011 at 02:13 AM.