1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 06-12-2001, 07:01 PM

Interchangeable barrel?

Recently put an ANIB FN HP made in Belgium on layaway for $495, trigger felt just like a 1911. However, this gun is a 6-inch barrel--I am assuming this is an interchangeable barrel because the fix sight is on the barrel itself not on the slide. Is there such a thing? if so where can I purchase a 5-inch barrel? Do you guys think I paid too much?
Old 06-12-2001, 08:11 PM

Ah, so...

Sounds like it might be a "GP Competition" model. This came with a barrel weight and a sixish inch barrel.

They had special mag safeties, special trigger jobs and were known to be rather accurate. Five bills would be an absolute steal.

Good luck,
Larry

------------------
He who fights and runs away had better run pretty damn fast.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the info, do they make any 5-inch barrel?
Old 06-12-2001, 11:53 PM

If your gun is the GP/Competition model, a factory or aftermarket standard length barrel(about 4.7") will work. But,then you'll need a new front sight on the slide. On one of my GPs, I cut and recrowned the barrel to fit the slide and then machined a dovetail in the slide to take a Heinie front sight. Worked fine and I ended up with a standard lenfth HiPower with good trigger pull and adjustable sights. Best, Allen