1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 01-30-2006, 08:34 PM

SST in 45ACP

I bought some 50 cal muzzle loader sabboted hornady that were 45 cal thinking that they would make my 1895 Guide Gun ballistacly superior to other 45-70 loads. They miked out as .451 which is small for the 45-70. I then supposed they would maybe work in 45 ACP,has any one tried this? Seems like they would open up ok at ACP velocities,being a muzzle loading round. Any and all comments are welcome....I know this is an expensive way to go but just curious......I don't shoot Hydra-Shocks as a steady diet either.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:00 AM

Muzzel loading velocity is double the velocities of most 45 acp loads. The bullets likely are also too heavy for the ACP and data will be very hard if at all possible to find. I`d forget it.

BTW
The 45-70 is not a slouch with loads from the books intended for modern lever actions. The cartridge is not ever going to be a flat shooting round but is a very potent stopping cartridge for large game. The round nose and heavy cast bullets made for it at velocity in the high teens will drop anything in north America, and at a good distance.
The tubular mags on lever guns also call for flat or round nose bullets to prevent setting off other cartridges in the mag with recoil. The SST is a pointed plastic tip if I remember. I`d be happy with it as it is and not try to make it something it never will be.

There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading, and the few
who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric
fence...........Will Rodgers