1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 01-29-2006, 06:19 PM

Add baffle to powder measure?

I recently had someone reccommend adding a baffle to my powder measure. The reason given was that it would help with consistency of charge thrown. Since then I have tried weighing every charge and there is a small variation(+/- .2 gr). Will adding a baffle help with this? I'm using a Hornady powder measure that came with the press. Or would buying the smaller pistol insert for the measure reduce the variation?

Thanks

Paul
Old 01-29-2006, 07:32 PM

Paul,
I switch to the small pistol insert AND add a baffle to the Hornady powder measure. With these changes, the powder measures on both my Hornady LNL progressive presses throw very consistent charges.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old 01-29-2006, 08:28 PM

Baffle size?

Where do I obtain a baffle? Or do I make it? If its make it, do you have dimensions and material specs?

Thanks
Paul
Old 01-29-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul788
Where do I obtain a baffle? Or do I make it? If its make it, do you have dimensions and material specs?

Thanks
Paul
I got mine from Midway.....
Old 01-29-2006, 09:02 PM

Paul,
I use RCBS baffles in my Hornady powder measure reservoirs. The reservoirs measure the same size but you may need to bend/adjust the baffle slightly to make it fit better. Sometimes I bend the baffle prong points outward just slightly to grip the side of reservoir better. This may also require increasing the bend of baffle just slightly for baffle to enter reservoir. Benefit of baffle is a more consistent weight of powder over measure cavity during filling which in turn should lead to more consistent powder charges.

Have heard some people say they made their own baffles using cut out tops of soup cans but haven't tried this approach. Don't know which brand or flavor of soup would make best baffle.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old 01-29-2006, 11:09 PM

The baffle is there to prevent the full column of powder from influencing the metering tube. I have mine at the bottom, it lets the powder by at the sides, but prevents the column from compressing at the bottom. You could make one from almost anything, it doesn't have to be tight.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:22 AM

Dillon comes with baffle inbuilt. Go the blue

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor
Old 01-30-2006, 11:00 AM

You can make a baffle out of a soda can. You want to cut it so it can be folded maybe 45 degrees and basically seal the powder measure from anything above the baffle. It does not have to be perfect. Now just cut a couple of "V" cuts on opposite sides. Mine are roughly 1/4" wide(at the widest point of the V) by 1/4" long.

Powder will flow through the "V" cuts close to the base of the measure.

I could take a pic if needed. It's been a while since I did it to a Uniflow, but it worked great.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:15 PM

I've made baffles for my Hornady measure out of cardboard. Cut a few holes and it works fine for me.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 01-31-2006, 06:57 PM

I made a baffle for my RCBS powder measure out of a piece of sheet metal. Openings at 6:00 & 12:00 with 1" legs at 3:00 and 9:00. Been using it for at least 25 years.

John
Cape Canaveral
Old 02-01-2006, 07:36 AM

I have a RCBS Uniflow powder measure and use a RCBS powder baffle purchased from Midway. you should also be able to find one at Gander Mountain, Cabelas, or your LGS if they carry reloading supplies. The baffle works by maintaining a consistent amount of powder weight sitting in the dispensing portion of the measure, without it the powders own weight pressing down on the dispensing area varies as the powder is used up.

My Uniflow powder measure has the small (pistol) powder drum. I also installed the micrometer adjusting screw. Makes for very quick setups since I have recorded the numbers off the micrometer dial for certain charges.