1911Forum banner

Extraction Problem with 9MM Remington UMC Ammo

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  skylerbone 
#1 ·
Recently, I was given two boxes of 9mm Remington UMC FMJ ammunition (mustard yellow box). I was then shooting this ammo in my 5" 9mm Caspian which has run flawlessly for many thousands of rounds. While shooting this ammo I had several failures to eject. The empty shell casing was still in the chamber and the gun was trying to load a live round behind it.

I then checked the extractor, cleaned everything, and noted that the extractor tension appeared about right, but just to be sure I put just a little more tension on it etc.

I then went and shot the same ammo again - after a few rounds another FTE - empty shell casing in the chamber and the gun was trying to load a live round behind it.

I then took an extractor from my other 9mm Caspian that has also been performing flawlessly. I then put this extractor in the gun and again ran the UMC ammo through it.

Soon I had another identical FTE.

I then ran about 75 rounds of 9MM Winchester white box 115 FMJ and CCI Blazer through the gun with no problems.

The problem seems to be with the Remington ammo. I measured the shell casings they seem to be in spec, except that the the overall length of the cases seem to be approximately 8 thousands shorter then some other brands.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What do you think?

Thanks Chris

See less See more
#3 ·
I've seen similar problems with shooters taking our Club's carry permit course. Each involved fairly new pistols, Berettas and SIG's. Each shooter swore they'd never had problems with their handloads or JHP's. Since the course requires factory ammo, they had bought the UMC because it was cheap.

I suspected a combination of light loaded ammo, pistols not broken in and less than a tight grip. I don't know if any of these factors apply to you and your pistol. Do you have the problem with the first few rounds in a magazine?

#4 ·
Not sure if it was with the first few rounds in the magazine.

Just to be sure that my gun was functioning correctly, I ran 100 Winchester FMJ (white box) and 50 FMJ Blazer through it today, the gun ran perfectly.

This gun is my duty weapon and reliability is important.

I don't think I will be using Remington UMC ammo for practice - I got this ammunition from my departments qualification range - low bid.

Chris

#5 ·
ANDERSON--

Your exactly correct. The Rem 9mm MC ammo has a shorter OAL and it's as much as 80ft per second slower over a chrono using a 5" gun than WWB an/or Blazer. Those two differences can make it a problem round for some guns.

However, I shoot a S&W Super 9 in IPSC and that gun will digest the Rem at 100% reliability and give me less muzzle rise because it's wimpy. Accuracy is about the same as WWB. Further, all of my other S&W 9mm guns also digest the Rem ammo without any problem. My 9mm 1911 doesn't like it!

#6 ·
Many problems with 9mm UMC jams

I have many rounds of this in mega packs and find that it is basicly unusable in my Rugar P95. The bullets are 1/8" shorter than comparable ammo and looks like the bullet is pressed too deep. The shell case is very sharp and catches on the breach opening and the shell turns sidewards and gets 45 degree jam. Like some others, some do not extract, some stovepipe, some do not even pick up as slide goes by. I believe the powder charge is low and causes the slide to not fully retract on some. May be that some are so weak that the slide actually does not go back far enough to toss the casing out. My experience is that about every other shell jams. May partially be the pistol brand but I can fire multiple other brands of ammo with rapid fire and not have a hitch. Think someone who has the knowhow and license should start a class action suit against Remmington. This ammo would be very dangerous if used for self protection due to unreliability. At least Remmington should recall ammo lots that they know are not good.

#7 · (Edited)
I have many rounds of this in mega packs and find that it is basicly unusable in my Rugar P95.

That's strange, my wife put 100 rounds of this ammo thru her P95 yesterday without a hitch. She was shooting faster than I could load the mags. I put the same amount thru my SA EMP with again, not one failure.

Except for a test of HP ammo, both of these weapons have had nothing but Remington ammo since new, approx 1200 rounds each. I can't remember any failures with either gun.

#8 ·
As with everything in life you get what you pay for. I load everything I shoot to minimize problems but if it's that much cheaper than the alternatives (I don't know) I'd recommend a lightweight recoil spring to run it with. A cheap thing to try and something many would recommend if the discussion were practice handloads. I have seen the price on WWB at WalMart and I can say it's about the equivilent of my full power handloads using Hornady XTP HPs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.