1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder
Its just a matter of time before you get get a high primer and it tumbles the wrong way.
How was it determined that it was caused by a high primer?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Knocker
How was it determined that it was caused by a high primer?
MY buddy told me that based on his visual inspection of the primer,,,it apparently got seated crooked,,one side was higher than the other.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Regardless of what you might read in this thread DO NOT TUMBLE loaded rounds.

Its just a matter of time before you get get a high primer and it tumbles the wrong way.

This happened to a buddy of mine who was a commercial reloader for years.He went 11 years tumbling loaded rounds.Then one day out of the blue a round discharges.The round went through the tumbler and lodged up under his chin.Minimal penetration because the rounds were not under pressure but if that would have been his eye he would probably be blind.
Horsecrap! A vibratory "tumbler" isn't going to detonate a primer. If a cartridge does detonate, the case flies off; the bullet pretty much stays put.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
MY buddy told me that based on his visual inspection of the primer,,,it apparently got seated crooked,,one side was higher than the other.
The reason I asked was that it seemed to me that when the cartridge detonated the pressure would dislodge the primer somewhat as well as push the bullet from the case (or would it be the case from the bullet, as the case may be of lesser weight than the bullet). That would make it rather difficult to ascertain that the primer was high prior to the detonation.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC
Horsecrap! A vibratory "tumbler" isn't going to detonate a primer. If a cartridge does detonate, the case flies off; the bullet pretty much stays put.
Keep on repeating it and maybe it will come true.

Like I said,,he was a commercial reloader.No telling how many rounds he went through before hit happened to him.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:08 PM

In order to remove case lube from bottlenecked cartridges, I tumble 'live' rounds and will continue to do so.

Regarding tumbling media being captured in hollowpoint bullets, I keep a supply of VERY fine ground walnut media that I use exclusively for this lube-removing task. The grains are about the size of sugar or maybe a tad larger and don't get caught.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:12 AM

When hit (sic) happens to me, I'll modify my practices. Let me add that I don't believe that your friend experienced a detonation caused by "tumbling" loaded rounds in a vibratory tumbler. I don't believe that it's physically possible for enough energy to be developed between the contact of the loaded rounds to detonate a primer.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 01-22-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC
When hit (sic) happens to me, I'll modify my practices. Let me add that I don't believe that your friend experienced a detonation caused by "tumbling" loaded rounds in a vibratory tumbler. .
I guess it just went off by itself then.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:50 PM

Knew of a darn good shooter that tumbled is loads aimed for show. Like in his area they would judge handloads like others would judge five apples & use this with a press & his gun showing appearance & as good if not better then factory target loads. Obviously he must have use corn cob of something. Anyway it won him prizes to even a S&W M-41.

Mentioned this to another Club member & he tried it out with 20 some odd rounds & showed me the cast bullets impregnatd with the orange colour of crushed walnuts. Highly suggested that he not do it again & he did not.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smythe
showed me the cast bullets impregnatd with the orange colour of crushed walnuts.
Probably walnut impregnated with rouge. Fills up the headstamps too! Didn't care for it so switched to unadulterated walnut. No residue.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Minimal penetration because the rounds were not under pressure but if that would have been his eye he would probably be blind.
The caseis lighter than the bullet. How did it launch he bullet through the media, tumbler, and then him?

I have to call BS on this, sorry.
Patriot Customs
Patriot C.O.P. Online Class
Old 01-29-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter
The caseis lighter than the bullet. How did it launch he bullet through the media, tumbler, and then him?

I have to call BS on this, sorry.
Call BS all you want.It happened.

You people can bury your head in the sand all you want to.When it happens to you I will be the first one to laugh my rear end off.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Call BS all you want.It happened.

You people can bury your head in the sand all you want to.When it happens to you I will be the first one to laugh my rear end off.
It's not burying our heads in the sand that we are experienced enough/educated enough to know b.s. when we see it. What if your friend told you that his daughter had a child with a Martian, would you believe that, too? I guess it's better to have a head buried in the sand than to have a head filled with sand!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 01-30-2006, 08:05 AM

Old 01-30-2006, 10:50 AM

bobthebuilder

Give it up already. Your friend shot you a line of BS and you don't know enough to realize it, yet want to argue about it.

If a round detonates, the brass blows and the bullet goes nowhere. The danger would be from brass shards.

Folks come here to learn, and maybe share information IF they know what they're talking about, not to listen to second hand BS.

I'm going to close this thread before you get one of our most respected members in trouble for violating forum rules. I'm close to breaking them myself.
Closed Thread