1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Para USA

Old 12-26-2005, 09:47 PM

Ftf Ftf Ftf?

TOOK MY USED (RECENTLY PURCHASED) PARA COMPANION TO THE RANGE FOR SOME TRIALS TODAY. WELL AFTER 100 ROUNDS HAD ABOUT 20 FTF FAILURE TO FEEDS!
THE RECOIL SPRINGS SEEMS A LITTLE LIGHT? BUT CAN'T TELL FOR SURE, MAGS LOOK OF AND IT WAS FRESHLY CLEANED AND LUBED.
ORDERED A COUPLE OF NEW SPRINGS AND FOLLOWERS FOR THE MAGS, WILL RE-CLEAN AND LUBE.

ANY IDEAS?

THANKS

P.S. I'VE BEEN SHOOTING 1911'S FOR A LONG TIME, I'M NOT LIMP WRISTING IT!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Banned

Extractor tension is the first thing I'd check. Too much will cause this. As will weak recoil springs.

-- Chuck
Old 12-27-2005, 09:52 AM

Do " Not " lube the mags .
Old 12-27-2005, 04:24 PM

Anytime you "lube" a mag your asking for trouble. I'ts gonna be fine right away (maybe) but it'll kill you in the long run. The muck and dirt will make things worse, but thats my experience w/ the 1911's.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:53 PM

Try Wolff springs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOVY-MAN
TOOK MY USED (RECENTLY PURCHASED) PARA COMPANION TO THE RANGE FOR SOME TRIALS TODAY. WELL AFTER 100 ROUNDS HAD ABOUT 20 FTF FAILURE TO FEEDS!
THE RECOIL SPRINGS SEEMS A LITTLE LIGHT? BUT CAN'T TELL FOR SURE, MAGS LOOK OF AND IT WAS FRESHLY CLEANED AND LUBED.
ORDERED A COUPLE OF NEW SPRINGS AND FOLLOWERS FOR THE MAGS, WILL RE-CLEAN AND LUBE.

ANY IDEAS?

THANKS

P.S. I'VE BEEN SHOOTING 1911'S FOR A LONG TIME, I'M NOT LIMP WRISTING IT!

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL TOTAL COMPLIANCE IS MET

Stock up on ammo.... The way things are going we may need it soon.......

"GOD" BLESS AMERICA..... If you don't like it, "LEAVE" the country!
Old 12-27-2005, 06:12 PM

Is the Companion single or double stack? If its double stack I've gotten some really crappy Para P14 mags lately (including direct from their web site "Pro Shop".

Dimensions are all over the map. Stronger springs, polishing the interior surfaces, and in one extream case bending the feed lips to be more like those that worked seems to have gotten acceptable function for range fun. I like my wide body .45s but I'd not trust any of them (all based on Para mag tubes) for CCW. I've Para P14, P13 & P10, Kimber BP in 3", 4" & 5", Springfield P12 clone, and Armscor P14 clone. Mags must be kept clean and dry, and spring life is rather short.

--wally.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Banned

Para Companion Looks Like This

Latest version is "hammerless" and probably with a nub grip safety. Probably won't have the Gunsite low safety or Alumagrips or XS24/7 sights either. But it'll be functionally the same.

The same pistol is on the left in this photo. Hint: the black dot on the back of the slide is an Ed Brown Hardcore Extractor. (Pistol on the right is a Kimber Ultra Carry II.)

-- Chuck
Old 12-30-2005, 07:57 PM

Looks like a single stack. None of what I said applies. Try a new mag, should take a normal 1911 mag. At least 90% of all 1911 feed problems are magazine problems.

--wally.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:50 PM

I believe the Companion follows the 7.45 model nomenclature. That would put them with Officer's length 7 round mags, not standard 1911 mags.
-Captain Simeon Ecuyer, 1783
Old 12-31-2005, 01:55 AM

If your pistol has the older style one piece extractor have it adjusted. I replaced my mags for my CCW LDA right away with Chip McCormics for the Officers model and have had no magazine related problems.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:17 AM
Banned

Marked C7.45 LDA on the right side of the slide.

Officer ACP magazines are 6 round originally but 7 round magazines are defacto standard.

This configuration was discontiuned by Para Ordnance. Took me several weeks to locate one.

-- Chuck

Old 12-31-2005, 09:36 AM

thanks for the input

IT IS A SINGLE STACK, I ORDERED WOLFF SPRINGS, WHEN I RECIEVED THEM THE PACKAGES ARE MARKEF FOR FULL SIZE COMMANDER AND OFFICER MODELS. FOR THE RECOIL SPRINGS THEY SEEM TOO LONG AS FOR MAGAZINE SPRINGS THE SAME THING BUT CAN ONLY LOAD 6 ROUNDS, AND IT IS VERY TIGHT. HEADED BACK TO THERANGE TODAY. ALSO I DID NOT MEAN I LUBED THE MAGS JUST THE GUN.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

Government model magazine springs in an Officer ACP sized magazine will probably achieve coil stack and limit the magazine to 6 rounds. The springs are different. Or should be.

-- Chuck
Old 12-31-2005, 07:37 PM

I notice you also mention recoil springs that look too long. Make sure the recoil spring is not fully compressing (coil stacking as Chuck stated) before the slide comes into contact with the recoil shield of the spring guide rod. You can really damage a pistol if this is the case.
-Captain Simeon Ecuyer, 1783
Old 01-08-2006, 08:56 PM

Ftf

Hey Guys Finally Got Back To Reply.

Recieved New Wolff Mag Springs, But Were So Long It Limited The Mag To 6 Rounds.
Replaced The Mags With Pachmayer Rounded Fowlers.
And Mostlyrecieved A New 22# Recoil Spring. Well Wolf Sas It Is For 5",41/2",31/5", And 3" Guns!!! The Springs Is Strong And Toooo Long, I Trimed Three Coils And It Fit The Gun Perfect.

At The Range It Fired 100 Rounds +p And Hardball Great No Problems Period!
Thanks For The Help.