1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 12-10-2005, 03:46 AM

Reassembly Hassle S&W 1911Sc

Just purchased brand-new, still-unfired S&W 1911Sc Scandium 4.25". Have previously owned Colt 1911, Commander & Detonics Series 70 & 80 and so am reasonably familiar with field-stripping & reassembly. However in the 1st field-strip for pre-shooting clean & lubing, I had EXTREME hassles in reassembly.

The frontmost third of the grip safety's bar that rises vertically to depress the firing pin safety plunger is elevated very slightly above top surface of the frame. I do note the Instr Manual instructs to depress this bar down when reinstalling the slide but I have to use fingernail and depress the lever VERY hard into its milled slot otherwise the rear end of slide catches on the tip of the lever.

Once I AM able to get the rear end of slide to clear over the tip of the lever, the slide once AGAIN hangs up and can't be pushed fully rearward enough for the barrel link to line up for reinsertion of the slide stop. The slide hangs up at a point where the rear edge of slide is about an 8th or 16th of an inch shy of being flush with the rear end of the frame' slide rails.

As near as I can tell, (since you can't see it when near-assembled) it seems as if the front tip of the grip safety's bar lever is catching & hanging on the circumferential bottom edge of the firing pin safety plunger. And yes, I've taken care to NOT be depressing the grip safety during attempts to reinstall the slide assembly onto the frame.

After fiddling for almost 1/2 hr I managed to get the slide fully on and rearward - it slid right back unexpectedly amidst unsuccessful tries so I don't even know what caused or allowed that "success" - but upon removal and attempt to reinstall the slide again, this problem was repeatable numerous times - but I was ultimately able to get things reassembled properly again. Like, after an hour, all told. Certainly not what I'd expect for a simple field-strip & reassembly of the 1911 . . .

I'm wondering (1) has anyone else had similar problem with the S&W 1911Sc? (2) Recognizing that the gun is still new/unfired might this be something that'll rectify itself after a little shooting & break-in, or (3) in the wisdom of those more familar with the S&W 1911SC model, is this something you think I shoud return the gun to the factory for insp & repair if-as needed, BEFORE it's even fired ? (Once fully reassembled) all functional & safety tests of the grip safety and thumb safety seem perfectly okay). The firing pin, its spring & bore are all undamaged/clean/unburred, and the firing pin safety plunger is free-moving up-down. Although, with a magnifying glass I do see what seems to be a little sub-par machining/polishing on the surface of the firing pin safety plunger, which looks like it has an extremely slight "shelf-edge" around its circumferential edge, the same surface that the lever depresses upward to disengage the firing pin block. I wouldn't be adverse to a little judicious filing or polishing of the rather pointy tip & height of the grip safety lever, that depresses the firing pin plunger, but I'm a little unsure of how precise tolerance fittings must be between the lever and plunger for safety considerations.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advices anyone can offer - thanks !

Last edited by RTC1911; 12-10-2005 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:30 AM

I recently had a similar problem. It was after I swapped the stock msh with the wilson combat speed chute msh. It pushed slightly more on the sear pushing that bar up so I would not be able to put the slide on. So the stock msh is back on. The bar sits about a finger nails thickness deep in the frame and no force should be needed to push it down into the slot to put the slide on.

You need to contact S&W to repair your gun.
Excellent customer service and warranty.
1-800-331-0852

Last edited by sw1911_FS; 12-10-2005 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:43 AM

I work on a lot of the SW1911 since it is the only good 1911 available for sale in MASS. This is a normal issue for all the SW1911 line. I does get better with guns that have been used. Ine thing that I find is that the spring guide does not have a dimple in which to hold the link in place during assebly, the link drops as the slide is moved onto the frame and stops just shy of the STP hole. I use a tapered assemply pin to get the link in the proper position. Greg
Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 AM

Can We Get A Concensus Here ?

FS & Greg, thanks much for your respective replies & info. Well, now I have 2 answers, each on a differing side of the answer-fence. Can anyone else provide some input that might help me attain or see a better concensus of opinion? Thanks to any additional respondents.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:05 PM

Does your trigger bow have the tabs in the front sides that you can bend? I bent mine to take up a little of the play I had in my trigger and bent it just a little too far and it resulted in this same problem. I bent them back just slightly and it stopped doing this.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:15 PM

Here are a couple of tips that have helped me

1st, do NOT press the grip safety once everything is apart

2nd I have found that once the slide passes over the Grip safety bar. I flip the gun over and the link seems to fall into place and the gun goes back together smoothly
Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama
Does your trigger bow have the tabs in the front sides that you can bend? I bent mine to take up a little of the play I had in my trigger and bent it just a little too far and it resulted in this same problem. I bent them back just slightly and it stopped doing this.
Yomama, I'm not sure, 'cuz I haven't taken the gun down that far yet, have only field-stripped it. Have never disassembled a trigger assy on a 1911 and am a bit unsure exactly which part you're referring to. If you have a schematic or pic I'd appreciate that, maybe something I'll check if & try if this doesn't clear up. To clairfy things here, I'm awaiting delivery of a CTC grip & have been so busy haven't been able to schedule range time, so I haven't even fired the new almost-1-week-old baby yet . . . aarrggh. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks also to Ducman. Barrel link lineup was no problem once I could get the slide fully rearward. The problem was inability to get the slide that iast 1/16 or 1/8 inch back to the rear end of the rails made all the "inability" difference in the world re link lineup. I'm 100% certain I was not depressing grip safety during slide reinstall effort, but next time I'll try both your suggs & see if that makes any difference.

I'm still wondering how "common" this is on this particular model & whether or not it's indicative of something wrong enough to warrant a return to S&W for adjustment, or a little judicious smoothing of the tip of the grip safety lever & cap of the FP plunger. That's where the hangup appears to be during reassembly.
"He that suffers his life to be taken by one that hath no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the guilt of Self-murder, since God enjoined him to seek continuance of Life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself." - Author Unk. (Philadelphia sermon circa 1747)
Old 12-15-2005, 01:42 PM

Similar thing happened to me

Not an SC, a regular SW1911. Wasn't even mine, it was the gun stores pistol for sale (new). The short version: I took my SW 1911 to the range after having the billboard/caution polished out. Didn't fire. Seems the smith had neglected to put the lever thing back in, so I asked if I could remove the slide on their display model. They agreed, I am a regular customer, but we could not get the slide back on, the lever on theirs was sitting a little high. Finally, someone figured it out, remove the MSH pin, let the MSH tension off the mainspring (just needs to slide out a hair) and the slide will go on. Seems Smith & Wesson installs the MSH after the slide in the assembly process.

You will likely want to send this pistol back to Smith & Wesson so they can make the adjustment/fit the part correctly. It sucks, but at least they'll pay for shipping.

Robert

Oh yeah, after telling my smith that Smith & Wesson doesn't use a series 80 firing pin safety, he found the original part and all was right in the world, at least as far as my pistol was concerned.

NRA Endowment Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 12-15-2005, 06:37 PM

Thanks Reb

TheArmedRebel: Thanks. Re cause/origin your info seems to dovetail w/ prior post from SW1911FS - after his similar problem arouse after swapping out stock MSH for an aftermarket one. Oh man, that truly does suck . . . Murphy's Law & all that . . . haven't even fired it yet & have been really itchy for 1st range session . . . but I guess it's bite-the-bullet-patience-time here, and ship it off to S&W for adjustment. Guess I'm better off doing that while it's still new/unfired.

I really enjoy this forum board - what a great buncha guys - thanks much to all respondents !
"He that suffers his life to be taken by one that hath no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the guilt of Self-murder, since God enjoined him to seek continuance of Life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself." - Author Unk. (Philadelphia sermon circa 1747)