2 = Minor 2
3 = Minor
7 = Model Seven
9 = 9mm
A = Aussie
C = Commander
CBOB = Commander Bobtail
CCO = Commander COncealed
XS = Model XS (similar to Panther; often refered to as 'XSS' as it was a stainless gun)

Suffix:
S = Stainless
B = Blue
C = Checkered Frontstrap
FS = Fixed Sights
AS = Adjustable Sights
10 = 10mm
45 = 45acp
Old 12-06-2005, 02:16 PM

Submitted by our friend Art:

Enjoy and I hope this helps.
Art

Last edited by Noklue3; 12-06-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:08 PM

Regarding the Razorback, the first RZ-10's were offered with the buyer's choice of Front Cocking Serrations (FCS) or no-FCS, and either fixed or adjustable sights. In selling/working on quite a few RZ's, I've seen several different variations, and describe the RZ's as actually occurring in three different groups. They are:

The original 'X of 150' guns.
You could almost call these the '1911forum' Razorbacks, as these guns were developed using guidance and input from members of this forum, and forum members were even allowed to designate/claim exactly which Serial Number they wanted! These guns could be pre-ordered, much like a limited-production gun, with the buyer stating his/her preference as to sights and front cocking serrations. What a cool time that was...
Features:
. Forged frame and slide
. Choice of FCS or no-FCS
. Choice of fixed or adjustable sights
. Either 'low' or 'high' blade front sight
. 'Hawg' logo on port side of frame dustcover
. 'X of 150' lazer inscription on port side of slide, just above Hawg logo
. Black wood grips with DW logo insert
. 2-pc guide rod
. CMC style thumb safety
. CMC style slide stop
. Nickle-plated CMC grip safety
. Wilson SS mainspring housing
. Laminated test target
. Razorback dog tags and a special 'thank you' letter from DW even came with some examples

The "Post-150 Razorbacks" (S.N. >150 but <650)
I've seen a lot of variability here. These forged frame and slide guns may or may not bear the Razorback name and logo, but did not have the 'X of __" logo on the slide, and could not be ordered with the buyer's choice of FCS vs no-FCS, or choice of sights. HOWEVER, the factory DID continue to make both variations of both serrations and sights. At one time, one of my customers/friends, and a member here 'yotehunter', had FIVE such RZ's in his collection. Believe he had all possible combinations, plus 1 'spare'. Anyhow, I've seen these post-150 with either 2-pc or 1-pc FLGR's (including some guns which were shipped with chrome-plated guide rods, where-in the chrome easily flakes and peels) , and wood or Hogue rubber grips. IIRC, these guns came with CMC style small parts, like the original Razorback. Test targets may have been included, but doubtful if dog tags or letters were included with these.

The 'RZ-10' model guns
These were made post-S.N. 650, and no longer bore the name "Razorback", but were, instead simply marked "RZ-10" on the slide. Being newer, and the last version of the guns made until production stopped, these guns typically came as follows:
. Forged slide with investment cast, non-undercut frame
. Hogue Rubber grips
. 1-pc FLGR
. FCS and adjustable sights as standard configuration
. Ed Brown grip safety and slide stop
. STI thumb safety
. Checkering on some models
. 20-ish lpi non-Wilson MSH
. No dog tags, letter, or test target

The new post-CZ buyout 'Razorback' guns
The Razorback is now back in production. This full-size, stainless, 10mm pistol is offered with its trademark, serrated rib atop the forged slide, and a solid aluminum trigger. Slide is offered only with NO front cocking serrations, and fixed Champion (Novak style) black sights (not night sights). Frame is uncheckered, and features Ed Brown slide stop and grip safety, and STI thumb safety. Grips are double-diamond checkered coco-bolo. RZ-10/Razorback markings have yet to be determined, but will be finalized very soon.

Last edited by Dave Severns; 03-17-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Hold my beer & watch this

Got a few updates here. Some of the suffixes and intermediate denominators on earlier models are primary prefixes on newer DW's.

On the latest models we've got the following prefixes:

C = Commander. Still in use on the CBOB.

G = Guardian

V = Valor

VB = Valor Bobtail

S = Seven. Used on later Pointman Seven models, this replaced the PM7 prefix.

CO = Compact Officer/Commander Officer? Either way, a CO prefix is what's used on the 2009 and later CCO's.

M = Marksman. Used on adjustable sight Pointman, as opposed to the earlier fixed sight Patriot Marksman.

N = Nine. Again, this replaced the PM9 prefix.

H = Heritage
COTEP #10
"Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some death to defy."

Last edited by 2TransAms; 10-10-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Serial numbers and the year of production: From 2004 to 2009, the very first number in the serial number, excluding model prefixes, was usually (not always) the year of production. Not all 2010 models have this - a zero does not necessarily mean 2010. This is true of at least the Guardians and VBOB's, and maybe more.

I'll leave this thread open for about a day in case someone wants to add something, or correct me. And if anyone knows the markings for the SSC post it up too please.
COTEP #10

Last edited by 2TransAms; 02-23-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Update of the previous post:

At this point, DW has no further designations for "model years"; the first number in the SN# is no longer an indicator of what year the gun was made. Any particular model will have started at 001 and continued from there, with the number continuing to increase as more of those models are made. The only way to get a born-on-date would be to determine the serial number range that DW produced in a given year. A sharp eye may still spot subtle differences from batch to batch, if one knows what to look for.
COTEP #10
Old 02-15-2014, 06:28 PM

More changes. Find a system and stick with it for cryin' out loud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith DW View Post
Serial numbers changed again last year. You can now track the year it was made by the first two numbers in the serial number. The sequential numbers are just that and not model specific.
Where there will be some confusion is at the beginning of each year as we have some frames from the previous year spill over into the next. So some of the newest guns coming off the line this year will have 2013 serial numbers even though they are build in 2014. What does this mean? Nothing really. We haven't changed anything to make a difference. We will try to avoid spill over as much as possible going forward.
For the past two years our production goal was 4,000 guns. We fell short in 2012 due to the fire and again fell slightly short in 2013 because of the late start. But we are doing good so far this year with a production goal of 8,000 guns scheduled for this year.

Thanks for keeping us busy!
COTEP #10
Old 05-25-2014, 02:45 PM

The odd ball's that are awesome to shoot, RZ 10 and RZ 38 Super with special serial numbers BTRZ001 and BTRZ002. I call them the twins. At the range they wear matching VZ black Gators.