1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 11-23-2005, 10:01 AM

installing a shok buffer recoil buffer

Hi guys I thought I would play around with a shock buffer in my norinco. how exactly are they installed. looks to me that it slides over the main spring rod and then the main spring slides on.

if this is the way they go on i dont see what the thing does. I think that this would make the spring slightly longer and change the weight of it as well. I tried to install it like this and i noticed that when the slide was held back by the slide stop , and you pull the slide back to let it down, the slide dosn't have enough room to move back , and alow the slide stop to fall down under its own power.

i know this subject has been bet to death on shock buffers i tried a search and i did not find anything about installing them. also looked else were on the net and still never found anything about installing them .

Last edited by 82boy; 11-23-2005 at 10:02 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 11-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like you've got it figured out how to install the shok-buff. However, the spring is called a recoil spring. The mainspring (sometimes called the hammer spring) is located in the Mainspring Housing.

I use shok-buffs in some of my 5" 1911's and have not encountered the problem you describe (concerning "slingshotting" to release slide) but have read on this forum that others have also experienced that problem.

Rod.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:08 AM

82boy, you're experiencing only one of the minor problems associated with shok-buffs. The real problem is that you're placing a piece of frangible polymer in the gun that will eventually disintegrate and potentially cause the gun to malfunction--to solve a problem that really doesn't exist.

If you insist on installing a buffer, at least take it out anytime the gun is being used for defensive purposes, OK? For your own safety.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:02 AM

Carmoney, the original poster has already admitted that the whole buffer thing has been beaten to death. All he wanted to know was how to install one - not whether or not they have merit.

RIP John, Jim, Roger, Lou, Steve, Chuck

Last edited by shane45-1911; 05-15-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:03 AM

82boy,
The shock-buff is indeed supposed to go over the FLGR against the "guide rod head". What it does is cushions the slide's bottom part as it comes to a stop against the inside of the dust cover part on the frame. I have used them for a long long time and find it reassuring that the slide is not slamming against the frame as it gets to it's most rearward position.

Keep an eye on them though as they tend to wear out after a couple of hundred rounds. Also make sure that you insert the recoil spring with its "closed end" against the buffer as that extend the buffers life.

Good luck,

SIG552
Old 11-24-2005, 03:00 PM

I've had about 500 rds go through my Springer fitted with a Wilson Combat buffer -- I absolutely feel less recoil shock, have had zero feeding problems and the pad has minimal wear so far. I'm sold. I also use a slightly stiffer mainspring, which may be a factor. I just inspect it every time I clean. I seriously doubt any defensive situation would require one to burn through more than 500 rounds... but you never know!
Old 11-24-2005, 04:17 PM

Yes you have the assembly figured out. I know that a majority claim that they are dangerous and can "disintegrate in your gun", but if you are a conscientious gun owner, you will take apart and clean and inspect on a regular basis. This is when you check the condition of the buffer. I have used them in my V-10 for at least 5-6 yrs and never had any probs. Yes you do have to release the slide with the slide release instead of "slingshotting" but I've done the "slide" release in competitions for years and find that slingshotting is slower for me(YMMV). Tracy
Old 11-24-2005, 05:41 PM

The buffer is adding slightly (1/2 to 3/4 of a pound perhaps) to the effective action of the spring so if you want your slingshot back, clip of a coil or at most 2.
/B