1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > LEO Duty

Old 11-10-2005, 10:34 AM

Ghost Ring Sights

What ever happend to those Ghost ring sights for pistols. I always wanted to try them but never got a chance. Anybody tried them and do they still make them?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:04 AM

Check this out...

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/pistols.htm

You can also check with Brownell's, they still carry the traditional round sight.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:51 AM

I'm considering installing one on my Wilson Service Grade Protector Compact, just haven't quite decided to take the jump. That Hex Sight look very good to me. I would like to try one out first but that won't probably be an option I'll run accross any time soon here.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Bear in mind that "ghost rings" for pistols are going to work very differently than ghost rings for long guns.

On a shotgun or rifle, the large rear aperture is so close to the eye that it tends to "ghost out" and not be seen to any great extent by the shooter. The shooter simply looks through the rear aperture and concentrates on putting the front sight on the target.

On pistols, the front and rear sight--at arms length--are essentially in the same focal plane. The user will clearly see the rear aperture sight and will then center the front sight therein. No "ghosting out" of the rear aperture, as in long gun use.

Rosco
Old 11-11-2005, 04:14 PM

I just bought a Hi-Point C9 (9MM Compact). The first thing that I did was remove the "stock" site and install the Ghost Ring that came with it. I went to the range today and it lasted for about 4 magazines and I switched them back out. It was annoying lining everything up.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:54 PM

I installed a set of Aero-Tec Ghost ring sights on my first Glock 22 and I loved them. They were super fast and fairly accurate out to 25 yards. I did get rid of the gun, cause I am just not a Glock guy, but I liked the sights.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:56 AM

+++1 on what Rosco said.

They work GREAT on a long gun, but leave A LOT to be desired on a handgun.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:28 PM

This is what I installed on both my Beretta and SA Mil-Spec. It works pretty good and not to forget the ticijon night site as well...

---------------------------------
the strong takes from the weak...
the smart takes from the strong...
---------------------------------
Old 11-19-2005, 09:06 AM

I find that people tend to shoot high with them becasue they aren't aiming with the post but rather the dot.

YMMV
Old 11-19-2005, 03:21 PM

I've read that shooters have a problem with elevation "holdover" when using GR-sighted pistols on targets that are any distance away. I've never tried them except on a long gun.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:40 AM

Got a Novak Tritium GR on my S70 LW Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
I find that people tend to shoot high with them becasue they aren't aiming with the post but rather the dot.

YMMV
That's what I've found to be true. But the difference is really minimal at the close ranges the GR was designed for. Long range (20+ yards) accuracy suffers a bit too, but for fast reaction shots at "normal" range (7-10 yards), I like it.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioTech
http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/pistols.htm

You can also check with Brownell's, they still carry the traditional round sight.
+1

I got the hex sights. For defense the hex sight is the best out their. It's different then using the ghost ring. The thing it took me awhile to get use to was to just forget about a front sight. As you look through the hex the front sight automatically aligns itself. That way all you do is focus on the target.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:26 PM

Hex sight

I checked out the Hex sight and was not too fond of the price or the fact that it really needed to be sent in never to return to conventional sights. I have a Kimber 1911
Old 12-14-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyFlea
I checked out the Hex sight and was not too fond of the price or the fact that it really needed to be sent in never to return to conventional sights. I have a Kimber 1911
The think is why you have to send the gun in. Every sight is coustom fit.Not one sight fits all guns
Old 12-14-2005, 06:57 PM

most people think that one sight works the same on all the guns of the same make. The trouble is the guns even the same make are made were one sight won't work on all. I carry a P220 Sig look in the book and see how many front and rear sights they have. They are all different sizes. So to me it is better to have the sight fitted to the gun. Any sight you get by the time you have a gun smith mount it you would have spent just about the same as if you went with the Hex ASight and had it custom mounted in the first place. Even with the gun smith putting on your other sight it still won't be matched to your gun
Old 12-14-2005, 07:28 PM

The SIG sights are various heights so you can adjust point-of-aim/point-of-impact and still have "fixed" sights.

There are several sights that will fit existing cuts, such as those for Novaks. Changing is relatively easy, but MAY require a sight tool.

Unless the slide is being machined for, say, Novaks or Bomars, the sight should be fitted to the dovetail, not vice-versa.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:26 AM

Your right to a point. Say you have two Glocks, The barrel pitch on both is different. Bet if you check any two guns of the same make you will get a different reading as to the barrel pitch. With different barrel pitches the sights on both guns has to be a different height to put you on mark. That is why you can take two guns the same make with the same sight one might be right on and the other be off. That is why it is best with a custom fit sight. They check the barrel pitch and cut the sight down to the right height. Most people when they get gun sights don't think of things like a barrel pitch. Most think that the tolerance is so close that the barrel pitch is the same. Take two guns and measure with a dial indicator from a givin point. Bet both are different. If I remember right being off just .065 will put the gun off 4 inches at 10 yards
Old 12-15-2005, 05:41 PM

RIGHT. That is what I said. SIG (and others) make various height sights so poi/poa can be adjusted for the shooter and the gun/ammo combinations. There will be as much variance with individual shooters as with different guns and different ammo.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:31 AM

That to me is why a custom fit sight is worth the money. I'd rather pay to have the sight fit to the barrel pitch. The thing is most after market sights don't come in different sizes. Sig like the rest just put on a sight that is what they figure is in the middle. They figure that 3 or 4 inches in 10 yards is close enough for combat. They make so many different size sights not because of different shooting styles. They make them because their is so much of a difference between barrel pitches between any two guns of the same model. That way with enough different size sights they figure in time you will hit the right match. Were as in a custom matched sight right away you get a sight that will match your barrel pitch. You might be able to put on higher or lower sights but the ratio betweem the sight height and barrel pitch can't change.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:03 PM

Anyway....
Old 12-17-2005, 10:37 AM

Being better able to hit your attacker might give a little comfort. LOL
Old 12-17-2005, 07:32 PM

This is semi-interesting, even if it has gotten off topic.

Your sights are only "dead-on" twice. When the bullet path actually crosses the sight line. Once close to the gun, the second farther downrange after the bullet drops(poa/poi).

All this talk of sight alignment with barrel pitch is largely academic.

(I've never had a problem hitting a realistc target with any factory sights)
Old 12-18-2005, 09:48 AM

I don't think that allot of shooters would look at 4inches off in 10 yards with a barrel pitch off just .065 as academic.Glad the sights you have work for you. Not many times just a couple i've been involved in shootings. I for one would trust these sights better then any i've used before. It is true that when you shoot at someone and they shoot back you kind of forget front sight front sight. I much rather be looking at the threat through a sight then looking at a front sight.