1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 10-25-2005, 12:34 AM

Advice on speed loaders for Ruger Security Six

Hey there Guys, Im seeking advice on speedloaders for a short bbl. Security Six that I picked up the other day.I have some of the twist the knob type that work ok but I have seen some that are spring loaded and will release the shell.Are these type a decent speed loader?I really like this revolver and would like carry it at times. Thanks George JR.

Last edited by George Jr.; 10-25-2005 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:12 AM

My experience is pretty limited with this but, the HKS twist type have worked the best for me. I have an old Safariland type that launches them in but it never worked well for me. Maybe I had a bad one or they made some progress with them. What ever you buy make sure that you train with it, so you comit it to muscle memory if your going to carry it. Congratulations on the gun purchase. The Ruger Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six were great revolvers. They really hold up very well. I mainly carry an auto now but I have a Security and Speed for the house.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:29 PM

I like the Jet Loader spring-type speedloader. I used them a lot in competition shooting (IPSC type) a S&W 66 4" barrel. The spring forces the cartridges into the cylinder - even if you don't have the gun pointed straight down (needed with gravity feed loaders - HKS and some Safariland). The cartidges are released when the ejector rod center pin contacts the release plate on the speedloader (both Jet Loader and Safariland spring/non-spring reloaders). After the spring releases the cartidges, I'd let go of the speedloader letting it drop to the ground, close the cylinder, and begin shooting again. Reloads with the spring-type revolver speedloaders can almost be as fast as a magazine for an automatic, faster if you practice - as some top competitive revolver shooters have proven. I use the Jet Loaders for all my revolvers. The Safariland spring-type speedloader should work like the Jet Loader, however, I've never tried the Safariland. HKS speedloaders require you to grip the cylinder once the cartridges are in to prevent the cylinder from turning so that you can turn the release knob on the HKS loader.

Another thing that helps with fast reloads is to have the revovler's cylinder slightly chamfered to help guide the bullet/cartridge and make reloading fast a bit easier.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:25 AM

Try Safariland Comp III for K-Frame

Safariland lists Comp II speedloaders for the Ruger "6" line but doesn't list one for the Comp III. I figured I would try one for the K-frame and if it didn't work I was only out a few bucks so I bought one to try in my old Ruger and it works. I haven't had a chance to mike the differences between a Smith K-frame cylinder and the Ruger "6" cylinder but it can't be that much difference.

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery
Old 10-27-2005, 01:10 PM

The cylinder of the Security Six is about .05" larger than the K-frame. The K-frame speed loader willl interchange with a D-frame Colt however. I have used the safariland Comp-II's with no problem. I dont need the huge knob, as I grab the whole speedloader body. I often fine the older, small knob Comp-II's on sale cheap.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!! My first revolver from my dad was a Sec. Six with a 4 inch bbl,so I thought that the 2.5 model would be a nice match and also a great pc. for the outer pouch of my nylon brief-case.Where would I be-able to get some of the Jet speed loaders or the Safariland models?I have done alot of training with auto loaders but not much with revolvers so any input will be appreciated.I would also be looking for loaders for the Colt King Cobra.Thanks.....
Old 10-28-2005, 08:12 AM

Try www.midwayusa.com. I'm sure there's others but they carry them.

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery
Old 10-31-2005, 11:14 PM

I have both the HKS and Safariland Comp II's for my Security Sixes, and I greatly prefer the Comp II's. They hold the rounds straighter with less flopping and I find them easier to use than twisting the knob on the HKS.