1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 10-15-2005, 04:07 AM
Banned

Mods and warranty

I would like to put Alumagrips and a different thumb safety on my Ultra CDP II, but wanted to make sure doing this would not void the warranty.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:17 AM

This is just my opinion, but as long as whatever modification you made had in no way contributed to whatever failure you experienced then I think Kimber would cover it. If you want to know for sure then you'll need to contact Kimber. In my experience, Kimber has excellent customer service and I don't think they'll try to jerk you around on some minor modifications.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:47 PM

Changing grips will not affect the warranty - this is basically a cosmetic change. If you have to change the grip bushings to install thin grips and you mess up the threads and have to send it back to Kimber - they might not cover it under warranty.

Changing the thumb safety might if you sent it in with the after market safety installed.

If you ever have to send it in, put the old safety back in. Now, if you personally believe that a hypothetical - future failure was caused by the new safety(i.e. the new thumb safety messed up the sear somehow, or dug up the frame, etc), then it's up to the honor system. If you have to send the pistol back to Kimber to repair the sights or fix something else unrelated to your new safety - just to avoid a hassle, I would put the original safety back in.

If you want a no BS answer, just call the Kimber Custom Shop