1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 09-20-2005, 01:24 PM

Question about Kimber Eclipse Finish

I've had a Kimber Eclipse for about a year and a half now and the finish is still in good condition except for some minor scratches. I was wondering how rust resistant this finish is? I plan on storing it in the backroom of my business where I have easy access to it incase I need it. The backroom doesn't have air conditioning, so during the day it gets kind of stuffy back there. Would I have to constantly check on the finish, or is it ok to just leave it there? I live in Houston, Texas just to let you guys know what kind of weather we're talking about. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:51 PM

That is a tough one to say! daily changes of weather is hard on anything, but the eclipse is stainless steel with the polished matte black finish. I would just hate to see a fine gun such as that sitting in a back room being ignored. The eclipse is a really nice piece and I just can't see it sitting in a back room everyday. If it were me I would put a Stainless revolver back there instead, you would have to tend to the eclipse at least once a week to insure it's working properly in the conditions you described, needing to lube the gun often etc. just my opinion but I wouldn't do it with an eclipse, a revolver would get the nod for me
Old 09-20-2005, 05:04 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing too. It was either that, or my TRP Operator in the backroom. I have a Glock 17 at the register, Sig 220 under a small table where I eat and do paperwork, but now I just need something in the backroom when I take a nap. Maybe this will give me a reason to buy a new gun.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:09 PM

I personally don't think you would have too much of a problem with the Eclipse back there... Just make sure you have a good quality thicker oil on it...

Now the necessity of having that many guns at your business tells me that either you are in an extremely rough location, or you are a tad paranoid.

Edit: I happen to have a few guns spread throughout my house.. so I suppose I would fall in the paranoid category myself since I live in the country

Last edited by timak; 09-20-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:41 PM

I'm confused. The eclipse is an all stainless gun. How exactly might it rust? Is the concern that the finish itself might oxidize or somehow otherwise degrade? The finish on the eclipse is a black oxide finish. This is a mostly decorative finish that provides a little corrosion protection. However, since it is applied to stainless, there should be no concerns about corrosion of the finish or the steel that I can think of.

The black oxide process consists of a simple dunk in one or a series of tanks, depending on the sophisication of the process. I've seen it touched up with a brush-on solution. It should also be easily renewable on the entire gun by any competent gunsmith, although he will have to polish it back off the shiny parts.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:32 PM

No one is debating rust at all! at least with the frame and slide. The word STAINLESS STEEL says it all. It is the fact that this gun will be in unfavorable conditions daily! and that even though the internals are not exposed! changing conditions in a non climate controlled environment will inevitability be harsh to the weapon if not properly cared for on a regular basis. I personally would not leave an expensive 1911 SS or not in a room of extreme, constant changes. Humidity, heating up in the day, cooling down at night, everyday! will no doubt wear on the internals of the gun and may turn it into a not so desirable gun after 6 months of this type of exposure. That's all,........ I just think if one put a not so expensive SS revolver in that type of environment it would be much better and much less hassle of up keep!!!!!
Old 09-20-2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K
I'm confused. The eclipse is an all stainless gun. How exactly might it rust? Is the concern that the finish itself might oxidize or somehow otherwise degrade?
All stainless (Stain Less) steel guns can rust. They are also magnetic if you care to try. Guns are made from martensitic stainless steel (400 series) which contain a higher iron content than 300 series stainless. 400 series can be hardened by heat treating (which is why they are a good choice for guns.) 300 series may not be hardened by heat.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:36 AM

Newbie here:

Why don't you just clean/oil the pistol as normal (don't drown it in oil, that may cause troubles with the ammo) then put it in a zip-lock freezer bag.

We did that during a rafting/camping trip a couple of years ago, the pistol was one of the few things that stayed dry
Old 09-21-2005, 09:16 AM

Kruzr,

It's true that stainless steels are susceptible to corrosion under the correct conditions. The alloying element that most contributes to corrosion resistance is Chromium. When present in levels in excess of 10%, stainless steel is self passivating and considered corrosion resistant. The chromium content of 400 series stainless steels ranges from 11.5% up to 18%, making the entire series relatively corrosion resistant.

The question asked was weather the gun was at risk in a certain environment.

" I plan on storing it in the backroom of my business where I have easy access to it incase I need it. The backroom doesn't have air conditioning, so during the day it gets kind of stuffy back there."

As far as I can tell from the description, this environment is totally benign as far as stainless steel is concerned.

It may be that there are internals in an eclipse that are not stainless and that might be susceptible to corrosion in a humid environment, but the question asked was about the finish of the weapon.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Kruzr,

It's true that stainless steels are susceptible to corrosion under the correct conditions. The alloying element that most contributes to corrosion resistance is Chromium. When present in levels in excess of 10%, stainless steel is self passivating and considered corrosion resistant. The chromium content of 400 series stainless steels ranges from 11.5% up to 18%, making the entire series relatively corrosion resistant.

The question asked was weather the gun was at risk in a certain environment.

" I plan on storing it in the backroom of my business where I have easy access to it incase I need it. The backroom doesn't have air conditioning, so during the day it gets kind of stuffy back there."

As far as I can tell from the description, this environment is totally benign as far as stainless steel is concerned.

It may be that there are internals in an eclipse that are not stainless and that might be susceptible to corrosion in a humid environment, but the question asked was about the finish of the weapon.
After you've shot the gun a while, remove the grips and see how resistant the gun is to rust with salty sweat under the back edges of the grips. BTW, the nickel in austenetic stainless steels also makes quite a contribution to iron oxide resistance. I've never seen a stainless gun that can't rust.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:52 PM

Eclipse Finish

I agree with Kruzr. Just because something is made of stainless steel does not mean it will not rust. Items made of stainless are all suseptible to rust to one degree or another. The different alloy compounds determine what degree of rust RESISTANCE , not proof, that each has. I also do a lot of salt water fishing and alot of the tackle and equipment that I use is specifically designed and built for a salt water environment, yet without proper care and cleaning, any of it will rust faster than you could believe. I went through alot of equipment before learning this lesson. Even the salt in a person's sweat can have this effect.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:01 PM

My Custom Eclipse II rusted under the grip panels, so I sent it back to Kimber to be sanded off and re-surfaced.

I fault myself for not checking under the grip panels and not Kimber.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:21 PM

I beleive that Kimbers Non stainless guns with a BO are more rust resistant that thier stainless guns. Try a search, I and others have had problems with Kimbers stainless guns and barrels pitting and rusting. I have a lot of guns that sit around, and it was my stainless Pro Carry that developed small rust pits in the slide while sitting in my gun case. It shouldn't be necassary to have a slide dripping with oil to keep form rusting. My BO TLE never rusted sitting around. Anyway, both were sent to Tripp for treatment,and all is well know.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:35 AM

Well, this certainly puzzles me. I don't think I can stand firm on my conviction that the stainless should be resistant to corrosion in the face of everyone's experiences. All I can say is, it's wierd. I have a number of stainless guns around here (mostly S&W's), and they are impervious to my worst mis-treatment.

I find the whole discussion very interesting as I am just now considering a purchase of a new 3" Kimber to replace my Ultra Carry in BO, and I was looking at both the eclipse and the CDP. I guess I need to reconsider...
Old 09-22-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Well, this certainly puzzles me. I don't think I can stand firm on my conviction that the stainless should be resistant to corrosion in the face of everyone's experiences. All I can say is, it's wierd. I have a number of stainless guns around here (mostly S&W's), and they are impervious to my worst mis-treatment.

I find the whole discussion very interesting as I am just now considering a purchase of a new 3" Kimber to replace my Ultra Carry in BO, and I was looking at both the eclipse and the CDP. I guess I need to reconsider...
Reconsider what? buy the CDP man! it is calling your name.
Attached Thumbnails
UCDP.JPG