1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 09-17-2005, 04:20 PM

My Kimber 'Problem'

Hello all, I’m new here, but lurk frequently.

Before I post anything about my observations and experience, I would like to say that I’m sure every company, including Kimber produces some products that have failures; therefore, some complaints heard here on this forum and others are legitimate. This post is in no way meant to argue a perfectly valid point.

My point is, however, that this board had me very concerned about my recent Kimber purchase. I was ready to run out and trade the pistol in for something else over all these nightmare stories I had been hearing. The only thing that stopped me was a few cool heads (experienced shooters who compete with Kimbers) assuring me that you have to read the internet knowing that anyone can post anything on here and you are more likely to see people with gripes because the satisfied customers are out shooting.

I was cool, until during a normal trip to the range, I experienced a couple of failures … instead of chalking it up to me being a the pistols 300 rounds into the 400 suggested round break in period – OR - Heaven Forbid it be my fault, I the Kimber Posts came back into my head and haunted me.

So here’s what I did:

I met my friend at the range who happens to be a very experienced shooter. I handed him a box of Federal Hydra-Shocks and my Kimber Pro Carry II. I told him to run the box through it. He hesitated, noting the expense and questioning the reason, but I simply handed continued handing him magazines, including the factory Kimber, a KimPro 8 rd., and a Wilson Combat 7rd. I just told him, “Do it.”

So he did. The gun was at @300 rounds total.

He fired 50 Federals through it without ONE SINGLE problem of any kind.

I felt better.

It was my turn. I was going through some drills, shooting behind ‘cover’ and it happened – a failure! He stopped me before I could clear it and said, “You limp-wristed the gun.” I said, “My Fault.”, he said, “Yup.”

I felt better.

This friend has a couple of Kimbers – No Failures of any kind whatsoever.
2 Guys who work at the local Gun Shop carry and shoot Kimbers – No Problems of any Kind whatsoever.

Once again, I AM NOT SAYING THAT SOME PEOPLE ON HERE DON’T HAVE REASONABLE COMPLAINTS! What I am saying is that to the MANY people on here reading or trying to make decisions about your next purchase, TRY the gun before you buy it (if you can) and make informed decisions based on experience and the guidance of experts FIRST HAND.

Anyway, love the Pro Carry, great carry pistol and very accurate – an amateur like me can consistently make a fist sized group or smaller at 25yds with black on black sights.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:10 PM

Good report and story. Taking time out to think something through logically and then with the help of another experienced shooter testing a theory that proved the

"probable" that it may not have been the guns fault. Thanks!

My two Kimbers are great! A Warrior and a TLE RL II

RC
Old 09-17-2005, 08:15 PM

must concur,
now the happy owner of 3 kimbers and not a single fail to fire since trading to wilson mags,
in using multible manufacture mags for years thru colts had issues more than once, never thought of the mag being the issue...
reading here, lights went on and i tried wilson..
worked every time. on all my Gmt models.
so, point is, not usually the guns fault, sometimes but, from my experience it is rare..
kimbers
classic custom royal
eclipse custom II
tactical Ultra II
Colt gold cup national match
detonics MkII
Old 09-17-2005, 09:49 PM

Once again, not looking to insult ANYONE at all; I'm sure in some cases, it can be the gun.

Another funny thing is after I read the thread about the firing pin safety, I realized that whenever I was cleaning the Kimber, I was sometimes struggling to get the slide off ... I went back to the pistol and *** DUHHH**** I have the habit of pressing the grip safety. So that's why it jams ... duuhhhh. If I hadn't taken the time to think about it and educate myself about the gun, that could've been another "Kimbers Suck" thread in the making.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:24 PM

Excellant post. It's refreshing to hear how you dealt with the issue instead of ranting about it.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:00 AM

1 Gold Star for you mister! you earned it.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:52 AM

Limp Wrist?

Sorry, Could you please explain what is involved with "limp wristing it". This may explain a few problems at the range for me .

Thanks

JS
Old 09-18-2005, 09:22 AM

Limp wristing occurs when the shooter holds the weapon loosely, and doesn't have a tight hold on the grips. What I tell people who have this problem to do, is to grip the weapon firmly, push out with their shooting hand, and pull in with their opposing hand. It's a push, pull scenario. Don't put a death grip on the weapon, just hold it tight enough to feel comfortable, and lock the wrists. This makes a tremendous differance in accuracy, and also helps with a few other problems. " good luck "

SILENT ONE
Old 09-18-2005, 11:50 AM

Sorry, but limp wristing isn't holding the gun loosely, it's breaking your wrist upward immediately after you pull the trigger. You can hold the gun with two fingers provided you let the gun do it's muzzle flip all on it's own and don't assist. When you break your wrist up, you take momentum out of the slide and the gun doesn't fully cycle.

Pushing and pulling sometimes helps but many modern shooters don't subscribe to the Weaver method but rather push with both hands out maintaining a neutral grip. (The gun will push back all by itself.)

I see the problem DALI-GENE described frequently with shorter 1911's and for some reason, with Glock 40's. What I do is wrap my hand around the shooter's wrist while he/she shoots. It tends to keep them from breaking it upwards.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:49 PM

I guess now he knows about the meaning of limp wristing.

SILENT ONE
Old 09-19-2005, 08:59 PM

Dali-Gene:

Compliments on your mature attitude, and problem solving skills.

I've been on this forum for over 1.5 years now, and many of the problems that show up here appear to be user error. It's hard to believe that some adults (yes, legally old enough to purchase a pistol), have minimal problem solving skills and/or no patience.

For example, I've seen some people after shooting a new gun 200-300 rounds and experiencing some problem (often misdiagnosed), decide to sell the gun or just send it back to Kimber. This is IMHO total lack of problem solving skills.

You did the best thing possible - have an experienced shooter fire your gun and share his expertise. From my exprience, most knowledgeable gun people are more than willing to help out a new shooter experiencing problems.

Good luck!
Kimber: Classic Custom-Clackamas, Classic Gold Match, Classic Stainless, Stainless ProCarry II