1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 10:38 PM

How exactly does the grip safety work?

I've never fired a pistol that had one. How exactly do they work? Thanks.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Administrator

I moved this one here...You will probably get better responses here.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldon14
I've never fired a pistol that had one. How exactly do they work? Thanks.
When you squeeze the grip the safety deactivates.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:29 AM

I couldn't describe it in detail but it contacts the rear of the trigger to prevent movement. Here is picture to start.
Attached Thumbnails
cycle and case ejection.jpg  
Old 08-25-2005, 08:04 AM

The grip safety has an inner lever that blocks the trigger from going back when at rest. When the grip safety is depressed, the bottom of it pivots in, the inner lever pivots up, and the trigger stirrup can slide underneath it.

Last edited by XavierBreath; 08-25-2005 at 08:10 AM. Reason: pic
Old 08-25-2005, 09:17 AM

Ok???

Not sure about that picture, but.. The grip safety applies pressure to the sear which allows the movement of the trigger to activate the disconnector via the sear spring. The picture above makes it look like there is a piece of metal that manually locks the trigger forward until depressed!?? Pretty creative..
Old 08-25-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinto
The picture above makes it look like there is a piece of metal that manually locks the trigger forward until depressed!?? Pretty creative..
No offense, but the grip safetey DOES prevent the trigger from rearward movement until it is depressed. When it is squeezed the upper prong (step) is rotated upwards allowing the trigger to move rearward and making the gun go bang.

Photo 1 shows the grip safety disengaged with the upper step blocking the trigger bow (silver piece)

Photo 2 shows the grip safety engaged, pivoting the step up, allowing the trigger to be moved to the rear.

Last edited by ozzy1038; 08-25-2005 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 08-25-2005, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Not sure about that picture, but.. The grip safety applies pressure to the sear which allows the movement of the trigger to activate the disconnector via the sear spring. The picture above makes it look like there is a piece of metal that manually locks the trigger forward until depressed!?? Pretty creative..
Huh? What pistol are you talking about here?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:14 AM

Hello. The thumb safety blocks the sear. The grip safety blocks the trigger's rearward movement until depressed.

Best.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not sure about that picture, but.. The grip safety applies pressure to the sear .
No, the grip safety does not touch the sear at all. It simply blocks the trigger's rearward travel, until it is pivoted up and out of the way when you grasp the pistol.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:41 AM

yep.. you're right.. Never really looked at it from that angle.. All I know is grip safety goes in, trigger goes back, gun goes bang (hopefully)... I'll climb back under my rock!! hahaha
Old 08-25-2005, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Did it take you guys much getting used to, or did you guys tart off on pistols that had these?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:42 PM

Practice with it and you'll get to where your grip is correct and it deactivates every time. A GI style grip safety is harder to deactivate than, say, an aftermarket safety like the Ed Brown w/ the memory bump. Most aftermarket grip safeties have a bump at the bottom of the safety that ensures, no matter how your grip is, that you'll deactivate it. Do some dry fire practice and you'll get used to it. Once you get proficient with a 1911, you'll be hooked for life.

Sam Colt made 'em equal,
More or less...
Old 08-25-2005, 08:47 PM

Wow! A whole bunch of guys on the 1911 site and most don't know how the grip safety works!

The upper half of that "finger" blocks the trigger bow (not the trigger or the sear) until the grip safety is squeezed in, then it pivots up out of the way to let the trigger bow come back.

The bottom half of the "finger" acts as the trigger stop.

Jim
Old 08-26-2005, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Keenan
Wow! A whole bunch of guys on the 1911 site and most don't know how the grip safety works!
Jim, what are you talking about? It was one person. Everyone else who posted corrected him about how the grip safety works.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:34 PM

Quote:
yep.. you're right.. Never really looked at it from that angle.. All I know is grip safety goes in, trigger goes back, gun goes bang (hopefully)... I'll climb back under my rock!! hahaha

Just don't look at it from the angle where you are staring down the big hole in the front of the gun...thats where bullets tend to leave at high velocities.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:30 PM

1911 Grip Safety

Considering what has been posted I am having a problem with my grip safety causing the hammer to only go to half cocked upon pulling the trigger. The original grip safety doesn't do this. I'm guessing I need to 'modify' it to allow more trigger travel but before I get out the hacksaw (diamond file and stones) I want to be absolutely certain. I'm working on my Rock Island 9mm and am customizing it to feel and function like my Taurus 45. I am changing the hammer, grip safety and slide safety to do this. But like mentioned the hammer drops to half cocked only when I change out the grip safety but functions fine with the original grip safety. Thanks to all who can help with this.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatDiver View Post
Considering what has been posted I am having a problem with my grip safety causing the hammer to only go to half cocked upon pulling the trigger. The original grip safety doesn't do this. I'm guessing I need to 'modify' it to allow more trigger travel but before I get out the hacksaw (diamond file and stones) I want to be absolutely certain. I'm working on my Rock Island 9mm and am customizing it to feel and function like my Taurus 45. I am changing the hammer, grip safety and slide safety to do this. But like mentioned the hammer drops to half cocked only when I change out the grip safety but functions fine with the original grip safety. Thanks to all who can help with this.

What part are you calling the 'slide safety'? Are you referring to the thumb safety?
If you have never worked on a 1911, changing out parts like you are wanting is best left to someone who knows what they are doing. The parts interact with each other and messing with one can effect another.

The only person a Gun Free Zone protects is the person doing the shooting.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Thread has been dead for 8 years. Don't revive dormant threads. Read the rules!! Locking thread.

NRA Life Member
Closed Thread