1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 08-22-2005, 06:23 AM

Dry-firing a .22

OK Folks I need to get educated about this:

CAN I DRY-FIRE A 1911 STYLE .22 ?

(Kimber Rimfire Super .22LR is on its way )
I dry fire my .45 with snap caps and I was just wondering if I can practice with my new toy too.

Any help appreciated

Last edited by TheHun; 08-22-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Brownells sells metal .22 snap cap/dummy rounds . They feed from the magazine and protect the chamber mouth edge from being damaged by the firing pin . Good investment . imo

Please visit Olde English Outfitters

We remember our friends Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Old 08-22-2005, 11:23 AM

The instructions I got with my Marvel 22 conversion was to limit dry firing.

If I dry fire I put in an fired case and dry fire 3 or 4 times then turn the case in the chamber for another 3 or 4 hammer drops.

I believe in general the best advice is to not dry fire 22 rimfires without some kind of snap cap.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 AM

The reason is, without a shell in the chamber, the firing pin slams into the breech face, usually ruining the firing pin and/or putting a notch in the breech face next to the chamber bore. I would never dry fire a rimfire without at least a fired casing in the chamber.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:52 PM

Almost all modern .22 rifles and handguns are designed so that the firing pin does NOT contact the breech face. Ruger and S&W specifically OK dry firing. If someone wants to use snap caps, that is fine, but it should not be necessary unless the maker of the gun says that his product cannot be dry fired.

Note, though, that many older guns did not have protection against dry firing damage, so snap caps should always be used in them.

Jim
Old 08-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Administrator

I've dry-fired my Ruger and Marlin .2rifles for years without ill effect. However, just a few times with my Ceiner 1911 conversion caused noticeable peening of the breech face. Therefore, it will depend on the make and model. I don't advise it unless you know your particular firearm can handle it.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Administrator

I've personally had to run a chamber reamer into the chambers of Ruger MKII's and S&W 22A's that we keep on display to clean the metal that was peened into the chamber from dry firing by customers . I can't count how many times I've heard the "click" followed by " Gee , I didn't know it was cocked " . I have to restrain my response . I just want to say " Gee , you DA , you're pulling the trigger and don't even know if it's loaded .

Also many times on customer guns that were brought in because they "jammed" , I've done the same . It's somewhat common .

Guess tolerances are different on some . 10.22's have no last shot hold open , so they are going to be dry fired a lot on the eleventh pull . Doesn't seem to bother them .

Please visit Olde English Outfitters

We remember our friends Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Old 08-22-2005, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Guess tolerances are different on some . 10.22's have no last shot hold open , so they are going to be dry fired a lot on the eleventh pull . Doesn't seem to bother them .
Very good point Guy Sayer.
I assume all Kimber Rimfire models would be trashed after a few range session if dry-firing would hurt them. After the last shot fired, their slide does not stay open. So people does dry-fire them even if it is accidental - no complains, posts that the gun got wrecked because they pull the trigger when the chamber is empty.

So I assume with snap caps dry-firing would be safer for the gun than the actuall live rounds.

Last edited by TheHun; 08-22-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Administrator

The slide doesn't stay open with my Ceiner unit. As mentioned above I have to be careful to count my shots because the chamber gets damaged easily.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.