1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 01-28-2002, 02:14 PM

Kimber or Wilson

Hi all, i'm new to this board and need a little help.I just bought a Kimber CE II ,Seems to be a good piece,shoots great no problems at all.However the other day at the local gun shop i fell in love with a wilson CQB.Is the Wilson that much better of a handgun or should i just stick with the Kimber.Any thoughts?
Old 01-28-2002, 03:10 PM

The Wilson IS that much better IMOH. More hands on work than on the Kimber.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:24 PM

kg4ajk ,

I don't own a WC gun yet, but I will soon! But even without owning one, I have to agree with TimH70... yes, the WC gun is a better gun, from what I understand.

I have a good friend who owns both Kimber and WC, and he will tell you the same. Also, just about everything I read from owners of both guns state the same, so I would have to say that WC are definitely a step above.

Hope this helps,
William
Old 01-28-2002, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info,decided to keep the Kimber plus i went and put the Wilson on layaway.So within two months i should be the proud owner of a new CQB.The gun felt so smooth when i racked the slide i thought the frame was made of teflon.I knew it wasnt but it felt that smooth.So my next question is;is there anything i need to do to the gun when i get it besides shoot it and shoot it some more.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:05 PM

kg4ajk,

Correct me if I'm wrong but thought I'd just say hello fellow
"ham". When you get that cqb (man, I want one !) shoot it and shoot it some more.

Mike
KA9WMW
Old 01-28-2002, 06:33 PM

Go with the Wilson! It is a much better gun and doesn't have any stinking Series II safeties to deal with.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:41 PM
Banned

Once you start shooting that Wilson, you'll never pick up the Kimber again. Might as well get rid of it, trade it in and get the Wilson more sooner than later. Nothing against the Kimbers, I was there once too, but the Wilson will lead you to a whole 'nother hardware level. The Kimber will be a thing of your past. Use it now to get to that level sooner. Just my .02!
Old 01-28-2002, 07:07 PM

I had a Kimber Ultra Shadow LE II, it had multiple problems. I sent it back to Yonkers and most were resolved except the FTRB. I felt this was due to the series II firing pin safety. The fit and finish on the Kimber was very nice - but I dumped it and just bought a compact CQB. I have not fired it yet, but it looks and feels suberb. I will be sticking with Wilson from now on.

Good luck.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:06 AM

eweiss, let us know how your CQB compact runs. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:23 AM

I have a Kimber Custom Royal and a Gold Match (Series I), both great guns!

I also have a Wilson CQB and a KZ-45. Not to put down the Kimbers, but the Wilson's are one notch above in quality and reliabilty.

Last edited by RMark; 01-29-2002 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:47 AM

Enjoy the CQB

I have a CQB and a Kimber Ultra CDP. I also had a Kimber Custom Classic. They all shoot better than me. I have to say that for the money Kimber is tough to beat. Wilson is definitely a step above, but so is the price. My CQB is the best 45 I have ever shot, including several match guns. But, I would not trade my CDP for a concealed carry gun.

Enjoy both your Kimber and Wilson.

I am saving for a 4" Wilson SDS and Urban Tactical Rifle. These might replace my Kimbers forever.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:22 PM

Once the CQB arrives I vote for keeping them both. I have a Wilson Protector and a Kimber Classic and use both extensively. The Kimber is my primary range gun, whereas I carry the Wilson. Having a second 1911 of the same type (both full size) allows me to delay cleaning (the Kimber) until multiple range trips yet always carry a clean gun (the Wilson). I still shoot the Wilson a lot, but having a 2nd gun decreases wear. Additionally, if I attend a course where I anticipate some level of ďabuseĒ, Iíll use the Kimber.

One final comment, although the Wilson is an excellent gun, and superior to the Kimber, the Kimber is still a fine and reliable firearm.

Alan
Old 01-29-2002, 10:12 PM

This is my third Kimber,wished i still had the other two but thats another story.After going back to the gun shop to look at the Wilson i knew i had to have it.Now i just have to get it paid for.I will keep the kimber for two reasons.1-i bought it new so to sell it now i would take a loss. 2-i just like 1911 s.Wouldnt hurt my feelings if i could own ten others.I have owned lots of handguns but none compare to the way a 1911 shoots or feel.Give me my AR and 1911 and i'm ready.

mvician i take it you are also a ham.I am no longer KG4AJK,I applied for my dads old call sign so now i am W4RXU.My dad is W9FS he's up in northern Indiana.

I only have one more question to ask;When i get the CQB should i change the guide rod out for a full lenth guide rod or leave it be?

WAYNE....
Old 01-29-2002, 10:34 PM

Ice man i will probably do the opposite of you.I will probably carry the Kimber since it is stainless,The last carbon gun i tried to carry i would have to clean off the rust and oil it daily.I wouldnt want that to happen to a $1800.00 pistol.I even had a colt stailess enhanced model that would rust on the frame,not real bad but in three places about an 1/8" in diameter .dont know if it was imbedded tool steel from the machining or just bad stainless.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I will probably carry the Kimber since it is stainless,The last carbon gun i tried to carry i would have to clean off the rust and oil it daily.I wouldnt want that to happen to a $1800.00 pistol.
Although the CQB is a carbon steel weapon, you WONT have to worry about it rusting. The reason why is, the finish is not a typical blued finish. It has the armor tuff finish which is impervious (SP?) to any rust forming, or moisture to effect the finish. I have a CQB compact on order (will get it in a week) and I plan on using that as my full time carry gun. I don't see the need to buy a gun of this quality/reliability only to shoot it at the range and then leave it at home,,,? Besides IF anything should ever happen to the finish, Wilson has a FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY, and they will refinish the gun and have it back to you within 5 days! They are very good about customer service. When you buy from Wilson, you become part of their family. Its not like any other company you have ever dealt with. At least this is the feeling I got when I picked up my first Wilson (full size Protector).
As far as the full length guide rod (FLGR), I was wondering if I should get that as well,,,by looking at the gun tests done in various magazines, I don't see where a FLGR would make that much of a difference in accuracy. I did, however, order it with a FLGR as I just think the FLGR looks better sticking out of the end of the slide than, say, being able to look inside a hole at the end of the gun and being able to see the recoil spring.
By the way, I use to have a Kimber compact CDP that I sold off to get this Wilson. I debated the point back and forth, wondering if I should pay the extra $$$$ for the Wilson. The reason I did just that was many fold. As said before, the Wilson people treat you like family, the reliability is second to NO ONE, and fit and feel of a Wilson is just flat out better than any Kimber out there. I have had 4 Kimbers in the past too,,Classic custom full size, Gold match, and 2 Kimber compacts: stainless aluminum, and CDP. All good weapons, but just not up to the overall quality of a Wilson.
Good luck
http://www.youtube.com/user/Valkyrie0307?feature=mhum
Old 01-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Honorary Administrator Emeritus

The Kimber is a great production gun, but it is just that: a production gun. As such, there is simply no way that a Kimber (any Kimber) is going to compare favorably to a Wilson.

Some may argue the merits of just how "custom" a service grade Wilson gun is, but the fact remains that these pistols are produced to a much higher standard than any Kimber, Springfield or Colt.

This is not to say that the latter are poor choices, or unworthy of your confidence, but there is a tremendous difference between a pistol which is has been assembled by a technician, and one which has been fitted by a pistolsmith. Wilson still takes their craft seriously, and you need look no futher than any CQB, Protector or Classis to see the results.

Chuck
Old 01-30-2002, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dolbyz

Besides IF anything should ever happen to the finish, Wilson has a FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY, and they will refinish the gun and have it back to you within 5 days! They are very good about customer service. When you buy from Wilson, you become part of their family. Its not like any other company you have ever dealt with. At least this is the feeling I got when I picked up my first Wilson (full size Protector).
Wrong about the warranty. Wilson doesn't give ANY warranty. What they DO is fix any problem you may have. It's their reputation on the line, and they will do just about anything to protect their reputation. That's part of the reason that I bought my Wilson CQB.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:42 PM

Warranty or fix the problem,,,What is the difference, either way they will take care of a problem if one does come up....
It's a matter of semantics on the warranty/satisfaction issue.
Thats all a part of that small town family owned business idea of doing things the right way. Wilson believes in that. That is why I like them so much.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:14 PM

I sold my Kimber real quick. I'm going Wilson, baby!
Old 02-04-2002, 06:49 PM

GOOD FOR YOU!! CONGRATS!!!! U won't be dissapointed. Be prepared, because after you get your Wilson, you will look like this: