1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 07-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Banned

Ithaca 37 info

I have a Ithaca 37 featherweight 20 ga. that has a 371723XXX SN and the fore arm is squared off unlike my older 37, also it has a red cap on the but stock that has a deer with antlers. I was told this is a sid bell Ithaca, but can't find any info about sid bell ithaca's. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:29 PM

Bruce who is Sid Bell? I cant find much using the search engines. I went to look up your ser. # for a date, but the Ithaca website is down, it seems that company is in the dumpster again. There were many forearms used over the years, some just cover the slider on the mag tube and others cover part of the reciever when retracted. The red deer logo may be related to the Deerslayer name that Ithaca used for many years.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:41 PM

I think Sid Bell is/was an engraver.

For a while in the late '70's or early '80's, Ithaca used Sid Bell-designed grip caps on some guns- the Deluxe versions maybe. The caps had a red background, with a silver (or silver-looking) object, covered by a clear material.
I didn't know they did something like that on forends also.

The silver thingy varied according to the intended use of the gun. I think it went something like this: Deerslayers had a buck deer's head. Featherweights had quail. UltraFeatherwights had Woodcock. Magnums had a Duck.

I have some old Ithaca catalogs around, and can look it up if you want to know for certain.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Banned

The red cap is on the grip part of the but stock, here are some pics

I haven't seen any others like this with any red caps, are they worth more?

I found this about Sid Bell http://www.sidbelloriginals.com/pewter.htm, maybe the deer head is real silver or puter inside that red cap. It looks just like the puter AL5 in this pic

Last edited by Bruces45; 07-27-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:50 PM

The forearm is the kind used on the nicer models, some had the checkering while some had finger grooves running lengthways down the forearm. The other option was the ringtail or corncob model. That is a really nice grip cap you have there.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:34 PM

Sorry, I mis-read earlier about it being on the forend. I was having trouble imagining it there. All I knew were on the grip cap, like yours.

I'll dig those catalogs out to check, but I'm thinking the Sid Bell grip caps were only on the Supremes of that era(as opposed to field, standard, and Deluxe). My Blue Book doesn't say anything about the "Sid Bells" being worth any more than others.
Ithaca collectors may very well disagree, however.

I'm guessing by the deer head, that you have a Deerslayer.

Ithaca 37s are great guns. I've had a short one for a "house gun" for several years.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Banned

BarryinIn, was wondering if you got a chance to find those catalogs yet
Old 07-30-2005, 10:47 PM

I just ran across them about an hour ago. I have catalogs from 1975, '77, '78 (and an update sheet for the '78 catalog), '79, '80, and 1989.

I thought the Sid Bell grip caps were used for a few years, but evidently it was only about one year or so. It's mentioned in the 1978 catalog update sheet, then in the 1979 catalog.
The '78 update sheet has a few guns that didn't make the catalog that year. One is the 51 (autoloader) Ducks Unlimited gun with a "special grip cap". It's specifications list "Sid Bell designed grip cap (commemerating DU Canada's 40th anniversary)". That sheet also lists three new variations of the model 37, and each has a Sid Bell cap.

The 1979 catalog has a paragraph about Sid Bell grip caps with a picture of five guns lined up showing the different designs. The paragragh under that pic says:
"Appropriate Sid Bell original grip caps fit the primary use of each gun. Quail for the Ultra Featherlight, pheasant for the Model 37 Featherlight, deer on the Deerslayer, ducks on our magnums, and the special commemorative design for Ducks Unlimited."

You can see the red colored cap in some of the side view pics of guns later in the catalog. Besides not mentioning them again after the '79 catalog, I don't see any hint of red on the caps in the gun pictures from other years.

Judging from your pics, you have either a 37 Standard Deerslayer or Ultra Deerslayer. The difference between the Standard and Ultra is weight-
37 Std 20 ga Deerslayer w/ 20" barrel: 6 pounds
37 Ultra 20 ga Deerslayer w/ 20" barrel: 5 pounds

The Ultras were 20 ga only, while the Stds were 12 and 20. Standards could be had with 26" barrels also.

The price back then?
$252.95 for a Standard.
$262.95 for an Ultra.

I remember always hearing that the Ithaca 20 ga Deerslayers were more accurate than the 12s. I have no idea myself, as I've never had a Deerslayer, but that's the tale.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info, so are these a limited edition? I don't know about the accuracy thing, my 37 12ga is all I use for shotgun hunting, never tried a 20 ga, I personaly feel a 20 is to small for deer (YMMV). This 37 is defently a collectors item I guess, it is like brand new, no scratches, no bluing loss, looks like New. Those prices are way outdated, you couldn't touch a nice 37 with slug barrel around here for less than $450