1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 07-15-2005, 06:23 PM

Case XX knifes?

Ok, my quest for a good ole' fashioned, like grandpa's folder has ended. I had been looking at case knifes for awhile, not looking for the latest silent deadly commando lighning rig, just an honest old folder. My local gun shop is a Case dealer, but thier prices are waaaaaay too high, so I went on sportsmansknives.com and paid 32.00 for a Case Stockman. This will be used for anything from boxes, envelopes, rope, and for use in the feild on small game. Often, I'll sit out in my garage and carve knick-knacks for my kids. I remember my grandfather had an old Case knife, he used it for cleaning out his pipe, to cleaning quail and waterfowl and other general duty. Everyone I know has been happy with thier Case, so, my question to you fine folks, is how do you like yours? How long have you seen a Case stay in duty?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:54 PM

Congrats on your purchase -- I had a Case XX USA (no dots) Stockman (from memory, made between 1965-70) red bone handle, for several years before I lost the durn thing, and loved it dearly. It took and held a great edge, and the various blade shapes worked wonderfully well for all the different cutting tasks that came along. I bought several older Case XX (1940-65) and XX USA red bone handle knives in excellent to new shape about 20 years ago from a collector who was selling them cheap. I gave away a few as presents, and have a couple left that I have used over the years. The prices on older Case knives have gone out of sight, however, and with the risk of losing them, I switched to a Puma stockman about 3 years ago, which was much cheaper than a vintage Case and works pretty well. (It doesn't have the cool-points, though...)

I haven't used any Case's newer than 1979 (just a quirk -- I like the old ones) but can tell you that the older ones are outstanding for taking/holding a fine edge, and their fit/finish are excellent. Next time you see some, note the nickel silver "Case" shield inletted into the bone handle -- if you look closely, you will see it is held in by 2 little nickle-silver pins. In later years, cost considerations required that small attention-to-detail steps like these be eliminated.

You asked about older Case's still in service. My dad was given a Case Whittler with green bone handles in 1931 at age 10, and it remained in active use through the 50s before he retired it for sentimental reasons. I still have that one, plus another Case XX red bone handle (can't recall the name of the pattern, but it's a 2-blade, double-ended, slender knife with coke-bottle pattern handle) which he carried through WW2. I used that one while in high school in the 70's but retired it later for fear of losing it -- and it still keeps a shaving edge. One of the knives I bought in new condition years ago is that exact same pattern, of the same vintage, and I carried it for probably 6-7 years before retiring it, again for fear of loss.

One last story: while in high school in the mid-70's, a friend of mine and I were Case fans on a very tight budget. He found a Case XX (40-65) Muskrat, red bone handles, in excellent condition at a pawn shop for the whopping sum of $8, and was the envy of all who heard about it. He wouldn't carry it, but put it in his budding collection, and steadfastly refused ever-growing offers as I tried to buy it over the years. Now, fast-forward to about 1990. We're at a big gun show, and he walks past a table with a bunch of flea-market type junk on it. I'm trailing behind him, and I stop and glance over the various worthless doodads on the table... and then, my gaze is rivited on a small, green bone handle in the middle of a box of "stuff." I pull out... an absolutely new "Case Tested XX" green bone handle pocket knife, from the 1920-1940 period, that has never been carried or sharpened, and has only a couple of pinpoint size specks of rust on the blade -- otherwise it's exactly as it left Case 60-70 years before. Scarcely believing my luck, I ask "how much?" The answer: $10!!!!!

After dislocating my shoulder getting my wallet out to pay the man, I ask "why $10?" He said he had paid $5 for it at an estate sale, and wanted to double his money... Whereupon I showed my buddy the knife he'd just walked by, and said "gee, remember that XX Muskrat you bought for 8 bucks back in the 70's? Man, the price of knives is going up!!!"

But, I digress....

Hope you enjoy your Case, and... watch out... they can be addicting!! :-)

John

Last edited by John F; 07-16-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Banned

I love Case knives. I am a life member of their collectors club. I personally collect the green ones.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:03 AM

This all sounds so interesting. I see myself looking at all the differrent models and think oooh, ahhh, ohh, I need this for that and that for this......I think I'm gonna pick up a full-size trapper in blue also...
Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:37 AM

I carry my yellow handle trapper everyday... just like my brother, dad, and grandad.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:53 AM

I have an old XX 6-inch sheath knife that's been on every fishing and hunting trip for the past 20 or 30 years. I got it used and I don't even remember where it came from - probably as part of a trade. It's held up rather well for all the work it's seen.

JT
Old 08-15-2005, 09:12 AM

I have a red bone handled trapper that I rotate with a gerber framelock. I love it for it's classic beauty and functionality. A fine piece.

"Reason has seldom failed us because it has seldom been tried..."
- Edward Abbey
Old 08-18-2005, 01:45 AM
Banned

Last year I bought a yellow handled stockman with the CV blades for the same reasons as Shocktroop. I'd retired my previous '74 stockman, and wanted a new everyday carry knife. When my knife arrived I noticed that the scale on the backside wasn't flush against the liner on either end. After a couple days I realized that this detail was going to bother me forever, so I called Case and they said to send it back. I did so at my cost, and after 3 or 4 weeks a new knife came back. It was beautiful, but had stainless blades, and was not the knife I sent them. I mailed that knife back with another letter explaining my intentions for the knife and that I wanted CV blades. Three or 4 weeks later I recieved a third knife that had CV blades, but was enclosed with a letter stating that they had taken the liberty of polishing the blades for me, but to remember that CV needs to be oiled. The blades had been re-ground, and it was obviously someone elses knife. I called Case again and they said send it back, which I did (3rd time if you're counting), with a letter of explaination. They sent me the used knife back stating that they had thier quality control guy look at it, and found it to be "within specs." I was so PO'd that it effected how I felt about all the other Case knives in my collection.

For an everyday carry knife I now have a yellow handled Moore Maker with carbon steel blades. I'm very happy with both the construction and the steel quality.

JM
Old 08-19-2005, 03:16 PM

Wow, lots of Case knowlege here. Very interesting. I inherited a Case
"Apache" and a Case that has about a 6 inch narrow blade with leather
washer handle. This is a sheath knife. The back side of the blade near the
guard has what looks like teeth about an 1 1/2 long. Never seen another
one like it. My Dad had it since the sixties at least. The blade is only 3/4
inch wide if that.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:43 PM

The steel in the older Case knives is outstanding.The USAs and XXs will hone up to an edge that you will not believe..
Old 08-24-2005, 12:34 AM

I've never owned any, but I looked at Case knives quite a bit at the Blade show and bought a nice Ruger commerative in a tin for my wife's Dad. Then the other day I got to looking at them again and decided to get um, "some". This happens every time I get into something - full overdrive obsession! I got on ebay and bought 3 XX older knives, one old Boker and one real old Browning. One XX was $22 and the guy said it had been in a drawer since the 70's, but after I bought it was told on a Case forum that it was a '89 knife. I told the seller that, and also that I was still happy with it but he refunded me $10 so it cost me $12.

Then I found out about Seahorse Whittlers, and have 5 of those coming. These things are beautiful! Oh yea then today at Lowe's I got a black/silver bone Russlock, which is actually my first one as I haven't received any of the others yet. I'm also joining the Collectors Club. They may kick me off of USN for saying this, but I like traditional over tactical any day!

Here's the new Russlock:

Old 08-24-2005, 03:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkman
They may kick me off of USN for saying this, but I like traditional over tactical any day!
Good for you! Traditional reminds me of a better time, when whittling, and slicing an apple for lunch were of greater concern than hacking into a bad guy. I like beauty AND function. But then I belong to the 1911 forum, and not Glocktalk.

JM
Old 08-24-2005, 05:41 AM

It's funny that as soon as I started making knives I realized I'd rather make hunters and utility knives more than fighters and knives that won't get used. A little steel and a little bone or wood make a great knife!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:02 PM

Don...your banned ! just kidding....

I have a Case in my laptop case as well as a Kershaw Double Cross which is a 2 bladed folder ( dbl liner lock )....

I have been wanting a custom slip joint from Rick Nowland for quiet awhile now.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:31 PM

That's cool JTW! Case knives are alot of fun. I got my first ones today in the mail, and one I got on ebay is a 1920-1940 knife by the tang stamp. Got my first Seahorse Whittler, and man it's beautiful!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:36 PM

I got one of the older Case knives I bought on ebay, and what a beauty! Real stag handles - it's a '78 Trapper in mint condition (unused, unsharpened). The seller has another one just like it and I'm trying to make a "trade" for that one with one of the knives I make. The Trapper is in the middle:

The upper left knife is a new Russlock I got at Lowe's with a 2001 tang stamp, lower left is a '89 Peanut I got for $12 and lower right is a 1920-1940 stamped Pen that been used pretty well.

Pretty good for a guy that owned zero Cases last weekend! I also now have 3 Seahorse Whittlers with 2 more at the post office and one in the mail.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:41 PM

Don..careful , next thing you know you will be wanting to make custom slipjoints... I know I sure as heck have been wanting to learn to make them...
spent allot of time talking with Nowland at Blade 2004. Those custom slipjoint makers are perfectionists to the 10th degree.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:39 AM

I can't even imagine trying to make one with the tolerances needed! Tell you the truth I don't even know much about the custom ones - not sure I want to either as much as these are costing me!
Old 08-27-2005, 04:13 PM

look into a custom bro , but bewarned it is a slippery slope , once you check out a custom slipjoint , you will be amazed and understand why some of those guys get over $600- $1500 for one. Level of fit and finish is purfect.

To some they will freek at the price tag , but to those that have made or attempted to make any knife will understand the hours of labor that go into one.