1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 02-22-2001, 03:10 PM

Slide won't lock back after last shot

on three 1911 pistols if I'm shooting with my right hand or with a two-hand hold. But, if I go to my weak (left) hand, the slide locks back every time after the last shot. I've changed magazines, recoil springs, slide stops, and ammunition. Still the same results. HAS to be something I'm doing . . . but, any ideas as to where to look or how to correct would be much appreciated.

I'm convinced this is not a mechanical problem with the pistols, but a problem with my shooting technique that results in the slide not locking back . . . and it's frustrating!

------------------
ralph

Endowment Member NRA
Old 02-22-2001, 08:49 PM

That will happen if you are flinching.
Try a few dud rounds in your ammo and see if that is the case.

Mike
Old 02-22-2001, 09:59 PM

Hmmmmm . . . interesting; and quite possibly the problem (much as I hate to admit it) . Would explain why I have been shooting rather poorly lately.
I'll check tomorrow and finally put those snapcaps I bought some years ago to work.

Next question . . . If a flinch IS the problem, how do I go about correcting it?

------------------
ralph

Endowment Member NRA
Old 02-23-2001, 12:46 AM

Stop it! Relax...shoot the crap out of it!
Get someone else to load your mags...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<< <<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!
Old 02-23-2001, 09:18 PM

Mixing the dummy rounds in with the live will help control the flinch by making it visible. The squeezing of the trigger has to be almost subconscious--start squeezing, then focus on the front site while completing the squeeze without thinking about it. The gun going off should come as a surprise. Not surprise like "holy sh*t" (I've done that!) but as in you aren't trying to force it to go off exactly when you want.

Dry-fire practice of this technique helps.
Old 03-02-2001, 10:27 PM

I just bought a 1911 series 80 to day and I had the same problem the slide wont lockback when I was shooting it , but it will lock back if you manually pull it back.
I reckon I was flinching too, I tried three different mags, colt wilson and eagle and it happen with all three of them.
I actually shot better with my Star PD with a four inch barrel and a stout recoil.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-06-2001, 06:07 PM

Note that the slide stop is a part that may need fitting. If there is too much friction between the slide stop and the frame, you may have to take a thin file to the part to reduce the pressure, or some 600-1500 grit sandpaper to smooth the surface of the slide where the stop touches it. DO NOT LET the slide stop cut become deformed because the slide stop only engages part way.

Regards.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:40 AM

ralphtt - I too developed a huge flinch. I'm not talking about your everyday flinch here, I mean pull the trigger and JERK. At times it was so bad I was excited when I even hit the paper. It was that bad. In fact I almost hated to try and get rid of it. It was such humor to all who watched, alas I got tired of goups the size of the backstop and decided the time had come to get rid of it. IT TOOK A LONG TIME! Lots of dry fire (something I still do BTW), and lots of thinking and concentration on trigger pull, firm grip (not a massive squeeze), all the basics all over again. One other thing I did that helped alot was dropping most of my shooting to a lower caliber. I did lots of .22 pistol shooting mixed in with some 45 and some 9mm. One other thing that a friend told me about that I enjoyed was shooting the TV. I would MAKE SURE that the gun was unloaded and practice dry fire at something on the TV. I also discovered that most people will think you are a nut if they see you do this. But hey, some people probably think I'm a nut anyway. *grin*

------------------
"Aim small, miss small"
Old 03-07-2001, 10:14 AM

Don't change a thing with your gun(s)! Simply step back and do some analysis as to when this began. Sounds like the shooter but it is really easy to grab onto the apparent reason and not solve the problem. I have went through simular events with a cost of money and time to solve this type of issue. Although it is often easy to blame it on the shooter as limp wristing consider the ammunition. Even though you shot different types perhaps the ammo is just on the edge of cycling the slide correctly. I would ask the make of gun and recoil spring strength. What type of rounds are you using? There are enough variables in trying to solve this issue that using a single test case may help. Like you I don't suspect the gun, other than recoil spring strength, but perhaps the ammo.
Old 03-12-2001, 10:25 PM

Well guys I found the problem
the slide stop is bent, and I just happen to have a new one sitting around , I hope this fixes my problem.
Thanks yall
Old 04-21-2001, 09:13 AM

You are more than likely "weak" wristed with your left hand and the gun is moving too much when you shoot it. Sometimes this is also called "flip". Hold the gun MUCH tighter and see if that helps.....
Old 04-23-2001, 08:43 AM

...or change the slide stop

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<< <<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!
Old 04-24-2001, 04:37 PM
Parabellum 9

Sometimes the parts suppliers will give you the wrong slide stop. While these are not officially numbered, some will not lock open and others will lock open before the magazine is empty.
Always apply some permanent dry lube on the lobe (how's that for an alliteration, Gypsy?)

"Go and tell the Spartans..."
Old 04-25-2001, 12:24 PM

Makin' my day...I'm still gigglin' BTW...
Good Call on the Lube! I hear they've come out with some new stuff...don't have the details yet though

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<< <<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!
Old 08-16-2001, 10:22 AM

Finally figured it out. Was so exasperated with the slide failing to lock back, I took a few months off.

Went back to the range yesterday with a couple pistols and a good friend who observed closely while I shot. He noticed right away that my left thumb was riding the slide release lever (I have LARGE hands) and so long as I kept my thumbs away from the slide release lever, the slide stayed open after the last shot.

I have always believed that in most cases, the gun is NOT the problem, but that the nut behind the gun may need to be tightened up.

Sure was the case here.

Appreciate all the well thought out suggestions and apologize for taking so long to resolve this problem . . .

------------------
ralph

Endowment Member NRA
Old 08-16-2001, 10:15 PM

LOL...WOW!

...good for you!

I'm really glad you whipped that one...Thanks for the heads up...Most wouldn't have bothered with the follow-up and I respect that...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<< <<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!