1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > USGI/Foreign Military and other Vintage 1911s

Old 05-24-2005, 11:33 PM

USGI gun oil expired?

I have about 3 cans of military lubricating oil that I got at a garage sale years ago... it says on it
0-190 (in a box)
PL-S
LUBRICATING OIL
General Purpose, Preservative
then a upc code and then
9159-00-231-6689
VV-L-800C
SHELF LIFE ITEM TYPE II
SHELF LIFE 24 MONTHS 11/88
BULK CHEMICALS
GRETNA, LA 70053
MFG. DATE 11/86 LOT 122086C
DLA-400-86-C-3366
QPL LUB-GARD M-6838
CONTENTS-1 QUART

then on the back it says the intended us is for lubrication and preservative of automatic weapons and small arms..

will this stuff still lubricate and preserve???
Old 05-25-2005, 10:15 AM

Breakfree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony P
I have about 3 cans of military lubricating oil that I got at a garage sale years ago... it says on it
0-190 (in a box)
PL-S
LUBRICATING OIL
General Purpose, Preservative
then a upc code and then
9159-00-231-6689
VV-L-800C
SHELF LIFE ITEM TYPE II
SHELF LIFE 24 MONTHS 11/88
BULK CHEMICALS
GRETNA, LA 70053
MFG. DATE 11/86 LOT 122086C
DLA-400-86-C-3366
QPL LUB-GARD M-6838
CONTENTS-1 QUART

then on the back it says the intended us is for lubrication and preservative of automatic weapons and small arms..

will this stuff still lubricate and preserve???

Tony P,

From the specs you had described I wonder if it's "Breakfree" oil since it's designed for full auto weapons? Take some out and shake it welland try it and see what happens. I too never heard of any lubricating oil with a temporary shelve life IF it's for the military.

rimfire,22
Old 05-25-2005, 11:12 AM

I have some of the same stuff, PL-S of 11/88 and have been using it for several years. It lubes as well as fresh, new, commercial gun oils in my guns and applications of civilian self defense and competition.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Banned

I've never seen this recommended for use in military small arms which invariably specify CLP or LAW. Here's a blurb from the spec:

Quote:
6.1 Intended use. The lubricating oil, general purpose, preservative, is intended for lubrication and protecting against corrosion of certain small arms and automatic weapons and whenever a general purpose, water-displacing, low-temperature lubricating oil is required. This oil becomes very viscous at low temperatures so that its use at temperatures below -40C is limited by a number of machine design factors and should be proved for any specific item application by test before adoption. The availability of this material in gas-pressurized containers will prove to be beneficial for use in areas difficult to preserve by existing procedures. This preservative oil should not be used to protect the fuel system and combustion chamber of engines which are preserved in accordance with standard procedures. This material contains a carboxylic acid which could react with certain metals present in the fuel system, forming soaps which could contribute to fuel filter plugging.
-- Chuck
Old 05-25-2005, 04:38 PM

When I was an Armorer, there were many types of grease, lubricating oils, patches, solvents, etc. that had shelf life markings on them, during inventory or IG inspections these items were turned back into Supply, and new stock was ordered or reissued to the Arms Room. 99.9% of the time there was nothing wrong with the stuff, another example of our tax dollar at work. The items would either be recycled, disposed of, or sold as surplus. Certain types of chemicals may breakdown or become weaker with age, or it's storage contain may corrode in certain environments, or whatever Gov't tests required. In your case there is probably nothing wrong with your oil. I still have bore cleaner, LSA, Breakfree, Lubriplate, Aerokroil, bug spray, fuel sticks, etc., some dating back to late 'nam that I still use to date. Most is as good or better than some of the products being sold today. "When in doubt, throw it out".
Old 05-28-2005, 01:42 AM

mine seems OK

mine seems just fine so I will use it...
Old 05-28-2005, 03:25 AM

I use PL-S, PL-M and Bore Cleaner from the 1950's - no problems.

Balder