1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 02-20-2005, 09:04 PM

Set time of blue lock tight?

I had my colt's grip screw bushing come off tonight but it screwed back in place so its not stripped ran back by my smith's place and had him lock tight it back in place. I feel kinda silly being I forgot to ask him what the set time was for the blue lock tight,so I'll ask here how long should I let it set before taking her to the range to try her out (I had my new extractor fitted/tentioned and the chamber polished)? Is it going to go anywhere on me anytime soon thanks?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:21 PM

I think, and I could be wrong, 24hrs is the set time
Old 02-20-2005, 09:30 PM

It doesn't take long. I thought more like an hour.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Cure time is 24 hours.

I'm not sure about the set time or the working time though.

Robert
Old 02-20-2005, 09:38 PM

As a side note although we all call it "Loctite", I could not find any Loctite when I needed some to "glue' my sights back on recently. Permatex took over Loctite but now can't use the name, so all I could find anywhere was "threadlocker".
Old 02-21-2005, 12:45 PM

Ok thanks all so I guess I can funtion test it tomorow with the new extractor tomorow then? Also I take it my grip screw bushing won't be comeing out anymore then,cause this locktite stuff works well? last thing is is it a common thing for grip screw bushings to come out sometime in a 1911? FWIW I see thin grip screw bushings on brownells site so I guess people do change out the grip bushings on 1911's fairly commonly then?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:11 PM

A couple of things to keep in mind about Loctite and grip screws;

Blue Loctite a.k.a. 242 (or ThreadLocker 242) is a non-permanent thread locking compound for screws/bolts *longer* than ¼"

To use the correctly designed product for screws/bolts less than ¼" a different product is used. It is usually hard to find from common retail sources (e.g. your local auto parts store, WallyWorld etc). To boot the stuff is expensive... ~$8.00 for 1½ oz.

I use clear finger nail polish. One small drop works nicely, and I can snatch a few drops from mama's stash.

Whatever you do, *don't* use the RED Loctite on a gun. Once it sets, it usually takes a torch and a cheater bar to get it off.

Set time for blue Loctite is 15 minutes to tack, 1 hour to set. Can be loosened by using common hand tools with care, no heat required.

Never had a grip screw bushing come loose in over 25 years of shooting 1911's. Some people change grip screw bushings to accomodate, thinner or thicker grips.

HTH

BigSlick
Old 02-21-2005, 01:51 PM

Thanks big slick so I take it shooting/using the gun won't losen the grip screw bushing again? And the fact you've never had a grip screw bushing come lose in 25 years i guess that just my luck then.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:22 PM

I use red (271) Loctite on front sight threads for aftermarket Glock sights. I've removed several that I'd secured with red (271) Loctite; never broke off a screw and never had to apply heat for removal.

Somebody should notify Henkel that their Loctite products are now owned by Permatex, as they (Hekel/Loctite) don't seem to be aware of that acquisition. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/

Not a Glock armorer!

Last edited by WalterGC; 02-21-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Somebody should notify Henkel that their Loctite products are now owned by Permatex, as they (Hekel/Loctite) don't seem to be aware of that acquisition. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/
Why don't you call them, then. I think they are quite aware of their once owning Permatex. You just didn't read far enough.

Also from the loctite.com site under History:
Quote:
To fuel its growth, Loctite allocated an increasing amount of money to research and development and to the strategic acquisition of other, related companies, such as Laguna Scientific Industries, Permatex Company and Woodhill Chemical Sales Company.
Loctite threadlockers no longer exist around here. I looked everywhere. Only Permatex now.

Last edited by Sage Pup; 02-21-2005 at 08:54 PM.