1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Para USA

Old 02-07-2005, 03:13 PM

Warthog type features for P10-45?

Hi,

I just joined this forum. I have a Para P10-45 (aluminum/alloy frame) and a Springfield Armory which might be their "milspec" one (plain vanilla, actually I guess it's an 1911-A1). I haven't done too much shooting with either, but I do sometimes carry the P10 (I think I prefer my Kahr K40, but it needs to be rebuilt and refinished before I would rely on it).

I see that PO has some new features on the Warthog, and I'd like to put some of them on my P10. I think I'd like a beavertail grip safety, night sights (Trijicon, etc.), and some "pinky" extended mag floorplates (Pearce). I don't know much about the new PXT extractor, is that something that would drop into my P10, or not? Should I even be interested in the extractor?

I also want to replace the mag springs with Wolff. I found that Smith and Alexander has mainspring housings, including a flat version that has a larger magwell. I think I might prefer the arched mainspring housing, which doesn't affect the magwell. Does anyone know of any online pics of a P10 or similar with one of those arched mainspring housings? The SA website doesn't have one, and they don't list an email address to ask. The only P10-specific beavertail I found so far is also from S&A, any other ones out there?

Basically I want to make it easier to shoot well. Are there any other sources for these parts? Are there any other forums that might be more active for PO type questions? Btw, I've managed to find a few threads about the P10's and Warthogs using the search feature on here.

Ooh, I almost forgot (thought I had, but I didn't submit yet), does anyone make any sleeves or similar so that I can use a longer hicap mag in my P10, which will prevent overinsertion, since the Para's apparently use the floorplate to do this.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 02-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Only What I Know...

The PX can not be installed without milling. PO told me they'd offer it some day for existing pistols. This was some time ago, don't know if they do or not. My P-10 shoots with a cheap Chinese 14rd mag (Wolff spring) with a few malfs. My P-10 went from about 15% reliability to almost reliable to where it is now, with much patients. It is still not 100%, but now, it may be the operator. During slow fire target shooting it's about 80% reliable. During defensive shooting drills, it's about 98% reliable. I've solved the feeding issue (professionals did), as now it feeds anything, and I can follow the slide as slowly as possible so that, the extractor misses the rim, but will still go completely into battery with anything(Love Win-Clean, it's so, ...clean). Just a feeding test, but works 100% percent of the time. Now, it's extractor and lube issues. After some 8yrs, I'm still learning. Hope this is more helpful than boring. Goodluck.