1911Forum banner

Why not a Sig 1911?

13K views 52 replies 35 participants last post by  UrbanSI 
#1 ·
I have been a fan of the 1911s for a long time now, and have been keeping up with some of the top manufacturers out there in terms of price and offerings. Why not a Sig 1911? I saw the Tac Ops which has practically all the features a 1911 can be dawned upon, for a extremely competitive price. It's like $900 for a Sig 1911 Tac Ops. A comparable Springfield's 1911 is i suppose the Trophy Match, which is cheaper than the TRP, which is the same price as the Operators, but the cheapest trophy match i found--new and used--is around $1,100 to $1,300 on gunbroker.com (therefore TRPs are like $1,300 to $1,500, and so on :barf:). That's a huge difference!

For the same features the Tac Ops have, and a savings of over $400 dollars, why not?! I guess a good competitor, cheaper than the SA's would be Kimber's TLE/RL model, which i should add the SA's I mentioned is missing one feature for a higher premium:the picatinny rail. Kimber's TLE/RL has ALL the features comparable to Sig's Tac Ops but then is missing a good manufacturer's warranty to back it up.

There is one good reason i found throughout my researching: Sig's are not American made, therefore, not contributing to our GDP, but for $400 dollars, approximately, with all the additional features and front strap checkering the Tac Ops has, WHY NOT?!

All and any opinions feel free. My intention for my new 1911 is USPSA/IDPA. I know about the 43oz dilemma but i think recently IDPA has changed the rulebook to 43 oz. I also plan on buying STI's Spartan as a backup 1911. I currently own S&W's 4.25 scandium commander.

See less See more
#2 ·
Er.. if you like the TacOps, buy it.

I apologize beforehand if I am wrong, but I don't understand the point of your post other than to create another x vs y vs z argument. Maybe I'm just tired and not reading clearly. Do you want us to give you reasons why you shouldn't buy a Sig?

#3 ·
I'd buy one of the tac ops guns if they'd do two things, change to a normal looking slide, and dump the external extractor.

If that was the case I'd have one by now. Maybe not even so much the slide but I can't buy an external extractor 1911, same issue I have with s&w

#6 · (Edited)
If you can get past the issues above the Sig's are among the best deals out there for a 1911. 25LPI checkering, DLC over all stainless construction (or natural stainless if you prefer) and night sights on guns that cost several hundred less than comparable pistols from other manufacturers. All of that wouldn't mean much if they didn't shoot but they do. The fit an finish is way better than similarly priced pistols.

I also forgot to the OP's concern- Sig 1911's are made in Exeter New Hampshire so whoever is saying they are not made in USA is incorrect.

#9 ·
Sig makes an excellent 1911. Have an XO which I bought new in March and hit has already sent over 2,000 rounds down range and not one hiccup. Do they match the traditional expectations of a 1911 ... no. However, as 2transams pointed out ... it is a great shooter.

#22 ·
I've got a C3 that may not be per the original 1911 design external extractor and different shaped slide. I bought it used and had a couple of instances of not returning to battery, put Wolff springs in it and it has ran like a champ ever since. Surprised me how accurate it is. I'm comfortable using it for a carry piece and put it in the rotation.
I actually liked the external extractor well enough to work out a trade for a S&W 1911 ES which is very similar to the Sig.
I've got some 1911's that are more like the original design but, the sights are different the palm safety is different, some have ambi toggle safeties and almost without exception they are built tighter than the originals. So I guess for me the extractor is just another nuance that typlifies changes in todays version of the 1911.

#24 · (Edited)
My SP2022 and XO 1911 are my 2 favorite guns to shoot in my collection.

Did they cost more? A little, comparably speaking. Were they worth it? Yes.

No FTE's or FTF's or anything after the first magazine on the 1911 and none whatsoever on the SP2022.

Wish I could say the same for the other brands I have.

#25 ·
I actually like the slide profile of the Sigs, they are different, you know one when you see it, not the same design as everyone else. I say good job to Sig for making the 1911 design their own....

#29 · (Edited)
In my opinion, one of the hallmarks of a great 1911 is consistancy.
That is one of the faults I find in other brands I won't mention.
My Sig TacOps Carry fantastic shooter. And when playing around curious to see what pistol looked like with out threaded barrel, I discovered the barrel and bushing from my Ed Brown Special Forces Carry fit the Sig perfectly.
Like ALL gun makers, Sig lets one slip through occasionally, they are man made. I've had 3 Sig 1911's, and I'm anxious to aquire another.
The Carry Nitron w/o rail is a steal @ $800. (GB)

BTW some searching will give history of Sig version of 1911, and I believe I remember the external extractor being the contribution of Bill Wilson? (NOT to be confused with the short external extractor of Kimber notoriety)

#32 ·
Everyone has their biases, and if someone does not like something, that is reason enough to not buy it. I am totally happy with my SIG GSR Target Model and have absolutely no problems with the appearance of the slide or the external extractor. However, I will absolutely, never, ever, buy a 1911 with those atrocious front slide serrations some manufacturers insist on adding.

#33 ·
im going to chime in here-

first off, i shoot idpa, and off duty carry a TRP in the black armory-kote.

my duty weapon is a sig tacops with a surefire x300.

i have always been a fan of a nice series 70 1911 in a classic "fighting configuration." my springer is amazing, and wouldnt trade it for the world. -by the way, the higher end springfields are NOT built on brazillian frames. the TRP's, the professional models (obviously), and the MC operators are built on frames made in the good ole' U.S.of A. you can tell them apart, as they obviously dont say "Made in Brazil", and the serial numbers are prefaced with "NM"

that being said, my sig tacops is a great pistol. by far, the best series 80 trigger i have ever felt. if you like it, dont hesitate.

dont hesitate on the springer either, if thats what you prefer.

just wanted to clear up the brazillian confusion!

#34 ·
im going to chime in here-

-by the way, the higher end springfields are NOT built on brazillian frames. the TRP's, the professional models (obviously), and the MC operators are built on frames made in the good ole' U.S.of A. you can tell them apart, as they obviously dont say "Made in Brazil", and the serial numbers are prefaced with "NM"

just wanted to clear up the brazillian confusion!
uaah ummm Sir - I just have to say - ALL SA frames are forged by Imbel - in BRAZIL -

NM prefix pistols are generally understood to be assmbled in IL. but the frame was born in BRAZIL.

#45 ·
my tac ops carry and platinum elite are 2 of my favorite guns to shoot.
with fear that I'm probably going ot ask you something you've answered 200 times already, what kinda grips are those?

Also the brazil thing, that's got me really re-thinking my idea of a custom shop gun from SA nad leaning back toward Wilson or Brown.

And finally, it's not so much the sig profile I don't like. I actually think it'd grow on me quick if I had one, it's just the extractor. Now to clear it up I never tried to say it wouldn't work right or wouldn't function properly or would have any issues. I actually have complete faith in Sig handguns, but I personally don't like the idea of the external extractor. That's the only reason for not liking/getting one of their 1911 guns

#36 ·
Really glad I added a TacOp and STX to my collection...Both look good and shoot great.

MY DIRTY DOZEN

#39 ·
The early guns had some problems. I have a Compact in the 10K SN range that had to go back because of the barrel bushing problem. It was fitted with a new barrel and bushing. It takes time for peoples perception to change. Most Sig junkies have no use for american made Sigs. The 1911 gets no love over on the Sig Forum. Most traditional 1911 fans don't like external extractors and the Sig style slides. Some people will never like these guns.

#40 ·
I agree. It's actually entertaining to read the hubris by some of the "Sig junkies" on some of the Sig forums. I personally would never buy the sp2022 that is made here, but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase an American p220, etc. My 1911 has performed as I expected a Sig should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.