1911Forum banner

Blacked-out Brown?

3K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Tim B 
#1 ·
anyone blacked out the barrel, trigger, and bushing on heir Ed Brown? I was thinking about maybe getting the Barrel done in Hard Hat by Severns.

just wondering what others have done that wanted everything black.

Gun is Gen 3 black btw.

#5 ·
In reality, how many shoot out a barrel? That's tens of thousands of rounds. I know, there are some. But I would guess very few shoot that much through one pistol, that is a moot point. But if it's the look someone wants, that's different, go for it. We all like different things.

#8 ·
I have a blacked out EBSF: blued finish and Gen IV or blued finish on barrel bushing, trigger, hammer, ambi safety. The slide is naked.

I am skeptical as respects the durability of bluing, Gen IV or other coatings on a barrel. Mine is stainless straight from Brown. Years ago SIGs had blued barrels but there was wear at the wear points. My STIs have hard chromed matte finish barrels and that holds up very well. Hard chrome is tough. My Wilson has a standard SS barrel that shows the normal scuff marks from going back and forth which is what it is intended to do. Would not mind if Wilson or Brown had HC matte finish barrels. But, HC can chip. Shops, that plate things are not perfect.

Do not see the need for any finish on barrel interiors. I would leave well enough alone.

#10 ·
All black except the barrel......maybe I will change that?

I went all black custom everything except the barrel. They were willing to do it, but I wasn't sure about the long term look........guess it holds up pretty well. They have in my experience some of the best customer service in the industry. Never too late to change my mind.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
500 rounds is my best effort at a conservative estimate, not an exact count. It may be closer to 600 rounds or so. I've qualified with it twice, took it to the gun club range once, shot a box of ammo in my back yard a couple of times, and used it for departmental training on a range day at least once.

I took a few photos to show how the (IonBond) finish is wearing. The only place I see significant finish wear is on the hammer face.

Forgive the cell phone photos...

EDITED 10/16/2014:

I replaced my earlier crappy photos with (slightly) better photos. It was raining yesterday and the today the sun is out. I think I did better with the focus, but I wish I had taken these after reading MGOULD's advice. Now I know the trick and hopefully future photos will be even more focused :)

I noticed the finish wear on the recoil spring plug right after I had the gun refinished...doesn't show so I didn't think much of it. It has not progressed. The wear on the slide stop has accumulated over time with shooting. The pickup rail was polished by the gunsmith, so that is not finish wear. The slight wear that is visible in the locking lugs has occurred from shooting.

-Tim

#20 ·
I was thinking the same thing about the deck, but my photos come out worse so I thought to leave it alone. The finish on the barrel is still holding up pretty good for even 500 rounds. Most of my Sig's and HK's start getting the rub line on the barrel after a box or two.

#29 · (Edited)
I took new photos and went back and edited Post #17, replacing my crappy photos with some less crappy ones.

Overall I am happy with IonBond, but it is still a coating and it is not completely bullet proof. I like it for a stainless pistol because whatever bare metal eventually gets exposed is still stainless and I don't worry about it like I would carbon steel.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and we get a lot of rain. My current duty pistol is a stainless Colt Series 80 that has been finished in black Cerakote. I maintain it well and the finish wear does not bother me a bit. After 2 years of exposure to all the daily bumps and grinds, I actually like how it looks.

That having been said, after trying both Cerakote and IonBond, I'm pretty sure I'd want either hard chrome or Hard Hat/Nitrocarborizing, etc. on a carbon steel gun. I've had hard chrome on a carbon steel Series 80 in the past and I was very pleased with it, but sold it to a friend. He is still very happy with it.

I am still in the evaluation and decision making process myself. I've got a carbon steel Springfield GI that will be going out for work soon, and I'm going to try Hard Hat on that one after the work is done.

-Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.