1911Forum banner

Scope for large Mag

756 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dsf 
#1 ·
I asked this question on another site. I am waiting for permit to clear so I can pick up my 460. I want to scope it right away. I plan to use for hunting white tails and hopefully get a chance at larger game in the next couple of years. I hunt N. PA so most shots are under 100yds with the rare ocasion out to 150 or so. Last year was my longest shot in 15 years of hunting there at about 135yds, it is possible to pull 150 or slightly better. So what scope to use on a high power high recoil revolver like the 460xvr? Fixed 4x or variable? I turn the power up on my 30-06 just because I can. I have no scoped hangun experience except a red dot on my 22/45. Also what brand of scope to use. Will a weaver or nikon hold up? Leopold and Bushnell are recomended by S&W, but I assume they have something going with s&w to get a rec like that.

#2 ·
I have prefered fixed 2.5x Leupolds on both of my scoped pistols. A T/C .44 and Blackhawk .357. I toyed around some with a 2-6 variable, but didn't like it. That one is used as a scout scope on my Garand for load developement now. If your revolver is too heavy to shoot offhand anyway, you may be okay with more magnification and weight, but I didn't like it.

#3 ·
I have the Weaver 2.5 to 8X on a bunch of T/C Encore pistols, some of which aren't braked, in 308, 8mm Mauser, 375 JDJ, 375 H & H, 405 Win & 45/70. No problems at all. I've found that the higher one goes in power the more of a PITA it is to get your eye just right behind the scope.

#4 ·
From your response it doesnt seem like Weaver has an issue coming apart from recoil. 375H&H must be a handful. The weaver fixed is a bargain. I think I might give it a try, if I dont like it im not out much. I can always put it on something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.