1911Forum banner

Metalform Pro Series Magazines

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BayouSlide 
#1 ·
I see Midway has Metalform Pro Series 1911 7 round 45acp mags on sale for $9.99 Anyone use these ? Comments on reliability ?

#3 ·
I too ordered the same magazines yesterday. I've used Metalform mags in the past both blued and S.S. in calibers: .45, .38 super, & 10mm without any problems. I don't expect any with this lot... we'll see. I do like the price! Since they are limited supply I suspect they are a clearance item by Metalform to clear their shelves, but if they work well... we're the winners...eh?

#6 ·
Just got mine in today. From the looks of it, they use hybrid style feed lips with a flat, skirted follower (no dimple). The coating on the magazine is pretty nice too. I'd buy more, but I have something close to a zillion magazines of varying manufacture and need to just stick with one or the other.

Just dropping the slide, they feed really smooth. I can't wait to try them out and see how they do on the range. As a rule, 7 rounders shouldn't give you any issues with reliability.

One gripe I have with them is that the bottom doesn't include the holes I can screw a base pad into. They'll probably just be range mags for me honestly, but they have piqued my interest in hybrid feed lips.
:rock:

#7 ·
Well, there I go talking before I think again. The Metalform mags I just took to the range seem to have some problems...bolt over base malfunctions mostly. Meaning the mag springs are probably a little weak. Oh well, I have been looking for an excuse to get some Super 7 kits and here it is. :D

I still want to buy a few Checkmate mags with the extra power spring and hybrid feed lips though...

#9 ·
I bought three of 'em, intending to put Tripp kits in if they didn't function…I didn't bother and simply returned them after bench testing. The tubes didn't seem very sturdy. Not one of the three functioned properly, tested in a Les Baer and a Norinco which both run 100 percent with Wilson, McCormick and even some 15 year old unmarked mags of unknown parentage. As far as the Metalform Pros, one mag had a follower that would jump out of the tube once the last round released, another wouldn't lock back on empty, the third would not drop free with the mag release. No bargain even at $9.99 each.

#10 ·
Aside from the failure to lock back, those were the exact problems I had. I had a follower jump out, failures to feed and they wouldn't drop free. Guess I need something to practice malfunction drills on, but it's a real shame to see something like that come out of Metalform's factory.

#11 ·
I purchased 4 of them for my Ruger sr 1911 . I have run a couple hundred rounds thru them so far and they all functioned flawlessly. Rnd ball ,lead rnd ball, lead flat point, jacketed hp's of three varieties ,and my own reloads.Not a single problem. I will buy more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.