1911Forum banner

Nite sights

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  MongoWarrior 
#1 ·
Explain the need for nite sights. I had them on a pistol and could see them if it was really dark, too dark to see the target in fact, I wrote them off as a gimmick to get out money.

#2 ·
At 53 my eyes are poor without glasses but I can pick up and see the night sights (trijicon) on all 4 handguns and a shotgun equipped with them.

Have never shot in total darkness but have read that it is difficult, if not impossible to see the night sights after the first shot.

#6 ·
Great question I have often wondered the same exact thing. I must confess that I have night sights on all but one of my semi autos. I noticed that when outside with lighting similar to one would find in a semi dark parking lot I can pick up the sights. However I think we would all be better served to carry a good flashlight that will illuminate the target as well as our sights. That is what I do now and it completely eliminates the "glow" of our night sights. Great question look forward to hearing what others have to say.

#7 ·
if you want to know what I really think....

GGreat question look forward to hearing what others have to say.
I think most of 'em STINK.
There are some exceptions, but the majority of them have a thin white outline around the trit vial are terrible in normal lighting ....harder to see than plain white dots and not much better than all black.
Only good in the dark...awful the rest of the time

the exceptions are XS Big Dots, TruGlo TFO and Ameriglo CAP sights
I wish Ameriglo would make CAP sights for more than just Glock and M&P, cause they're the best sights I've ever used

..L.T.A.

#8 ·
I think they're useful on a dedicated "night gun" but would not be my first choice. I'm poor so I run CT lasers instead of getting a separate night stand gun. If I had a bucket load of money and was mission specific towards night work, I would look into IR technology with NV goggles.

XS Front sight seems to get glowing reviews for those with older eyes and need something that works during day and night.

Most people tend to settle for a light on a gun. I agree, but nothing blinding.

#10 ·
This last 4th of July around 2300 hrs. I ran a couple of magazines of .45 acp through my 1911 with nite sites just to test for night blindness due to muzzle flash. The ambient light was from a few porch lights from three neighbors that live 80 - 300 yds. away. I was actually quite pleased with the results, I was expecting much more muzzle flash than I got. I was still able to hit my steel plate a few more times than I was expecting to which was at approximately 18 yds distance.

This was the first time I've tried this test since I've just gotten nite sites. I like them and they sure beat not seeing any sights. Just my .02 cents.

Take care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.