1911Forum banner

What all the fashionable front sights are wearing this season

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  JPhoenixX 
#1 ·

I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in gunsmithing. :)

I'm sure there are better things to use, but the $2 price was right for experimenting with something new, and the color selection at Wal-Mart is just faaaaabulous.

It doesn't glow in the dark (I don't think) but my main problem is that I'm just nearsighted enough to have trouble focusing on the front sight, even in broad daylight. I'm hoping this will give it some definition; help it stand out.

See less See more
#3 ·
I think white is your best option, especially for low light.

I have to laugh, though...I was in the cosmetics section of Wal-Mart looking over the various options for nail polish, trying to determine which one would be the best, most durable, etc (my wife doesn't wear white nail polish.) I was getting some strange looks from the ladies shopping in that section. I thought about explaining, but thought...nah. Let 'em wonder. :biglaugh:

#4 ·
I've been to the cosmetic depts at Walmart,Walgreens and also visited hobby lobby ended up at auto parts stores found Duplicolor for repairing body scratches,made like a big magic marker 1st point is abrasive for loose paint or rust 2nd tip after removing 1st has a paint& primer pint point applicator,then bottom has sponge clear coat applicator if you can get someone with steady hands to cut small dot of painters tape you can cover night sights before and they lookunchanged some of the colors really pop green orange,red ,bright white,yellow etc

#9 ·
I always just used White-Out. And you can get it in light green.:scratch:

#10 ·
I've been painting my front sight with chartreuse/flourescent green for years. There aren't many things man-made or in nature that are this color, so it allows for a very quick front sight aquisition in any environment.

#11 ·
One of the ways to go with this is to stand and look over the colors..... The ones that "pop" are the ones to go with FOR YOU (in other words, my eyes are different than yours, and what works the best for me might not be the best for you...) For me, it's the cheap bright orange Halloween nail polish....

Which leads me to the next point, cheaper is better for this use. The more expensive ones are gentler on nails, but not as durable on sights (has something to do with the bonding agents or some-such)

Dan

#12 ·
Question - I have a Springfield RO 9mm 1911. LOVE IT! But the sights are all black and very difficult to focus on sometimes. My husband has the "white dot" sights which seem MUCH easier to focus on. I have heard I could use white out, special paint for the sights, I had thought about nail polish (until this thread had not heard of it). But 1) my husband thinks that I would ruin the value of the gun if I do something to the sight and 2) Since I have no intention of ever selling my first gun, I am more concerned with a) can I get it off without damaging the gun if I don't like it? and b) how do I convince my husband that he is full of hot air?

Don't get me wrong, I love my husband dearly an a lot of the time, he is right. But I go shooting more than he does, I reasreach (a wierd thing with me) everything before I do it, I have read books and watched videos on guns, shooting, do's and don'ts, etc. He thinks that since he shot a gun as a kid that he knows all about them and shooting. But then his idea of helping me get better is telling me that I'm "up and to the right". He just can't get the idea that I need him to watch me, not the target, and tell me what I am doing so that I can fix it.

Whoa! Sorry, rant session. Back to my questions. Many of you are doing it, so it can't be horrible for the gun or someone would be jumping up and down screaming for us to stop. So, anyone have the answers to my crazy questions?

I would love to just buy a new set of sights, but that is just a little out of my range right now. If this works, I won't need them anyway! I can put that money towards more ammo!! Or more leather to make more holsters, or another set of grips, or . . . . .

Sandi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.