1911Forum banner

Which style Metalform mags do you prefer and why?

• blued with removable base

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • blued with welded base

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • SS with removable base

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • SS with welded base

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • extended base

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • other

Votes: 1 4.0%

Metalform mags type preference

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  wws 
#1 ·
Which do you prefer and why?

#3 ·
I prefer the welded bases, mostly because that was the first type I encountered and used. I prefer SS, especially for magazines that spend lots of time in leather magazine carriers. I often leave the magazines in carriers when I place them in the safe whereas the pistol is removed from the holster. I also keep spare magazines in cases when I travel, and the SS is much more suitable for travel due to the lessened maintenance needs.

#7 ·
I am more confident with a traditional 7 shot magazine in my Commander for "social purposes" so I have a couple of stainless, round follower, welded base 7 shot for it.

For a match gun (IDPA CDP or USPSA SS) I like the 8 shot removable base largely because you can't get the slightly extended 8 shot welded base any more.

#8 ·
You used to be able to get a two-pack of blued, welded, G.I.-follower mags from Cylinder & Slide for cheap, so that's why I have.
It was probably fifteen years ago, but I want to say they were two for $20, so I couldn't pass that up.

#9 ·
I voted "other" because, based on the problems I am having with the Metalform magazines (or at least one of them) that came with my Citadel, I can't say I care for them at all. However, when it comes to any magazine, I prefer a stainless steel mag body with a removable base.

#11 ·
After having rust spots form on some of my blued magazines due to using some old WW11 mag pouches or their reproductions, I've decided to use SS as much as possible to help minimize any future surprises. Those canvas pouches are not anywhere near my magazines anymore!

Good thing I didn't leave the mags in those pouches longer than two weeks. Some of the mags were brand new, never used! Still makes me cringe when I think about it... As a wise man once said "Cheap is too Expensive" (JT) He be right.

Take care

#13 ·
I prefer the 7 rd. SS version with the welded base plate. However, I have had problems with the Metalform magazines. The springs were weak. I called Metalform and the sent me all new springs and my problems went away.
They have been working fine ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.