1911Forum banner

My Duragrips review

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  B-Rad 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my review of Duragrips.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0T7GvJkWKA

The gun in the video is my American Classic Chrome Commander. I have shot this gun hundreds of rounds with ZERO issues, FTF, etc. The Dura grips make this unit a beautiful and functional work of art.

#2 ·
I really like Dura Grips. I first found them on Ebay, and I wanted the Peanut Grips because they remind me of the grips that come on the Kimber Warrior, except thinner and with more color options. So I ordered them. They cut the Ambi-safety for me, I just had to email them about it.

Great Company. And I really like the rubberized feel. VZ grips are great. I own several sets of Operator II's. Dura Grips are great in my opinion, especially for the price. I own the Peanut Grips, Wasp Nest Grips, and the D-Fense Grips... all are great. They are also just a lot easier on my hands than the VZ's.

So if aggressive G-10 grips are too rough, or VZ's just seem too expensive, Dura Grips are a high quality alternative.

#5 ·
What are those Hogue looking finger grips on the front of these grips? Tha'ts what I want and can't find.

I had a set of rubber Hogue grips on my P226 and LOVED them! I could shoot all day and it felt like my gun just grew out of my hand.

Thanks in advance.

#6 · (Edited)
Good review, I agree. So, nothing below is directed to you, sir.

Be advised that this brand is not CNC'd and the material is not G10. They are cast or molded out of something that does not approach G10 in strength and gripping qualities.

I must give credit where credit is due-- to whoever it was, whichever off-shore no-return-address outfit that copied my FRAG pattern first.

I understand the temptation when low cost labor and low-tech manufacturing results in a price that is half that of, say, FRAG grips from my partner in crime, VZ Grips. VZ's FRAG grips are the original, the result of original thinking and hard work done right here in the USA, made of US materials and even on US-made CNC's (that was a pleasant shocker for me).

Again sir no aspersions being cast on you here at all. I'm sure the majority of shooters don't necessarily know the background on something like this. But yes, people who do the thinking, the inventing, and invest money and sweat into the manufacture of something original and of high quality-- can get a little defensive when some anonymous outfit comes along with something "interesting how similar it is" :)

Over the years John at VZ and I have worked together on many projects to benefit sick kids, wounded soldiers, and the families of soldiers who gave it all. Last year some FRAG proceeds were directed towards the NRA ILA, The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation, and The Navy SEALs Foundation. Something tells me that no Chinese or Portuguese manufacturer of knockoffs is doing that.

Here's a little dose of original FRAG for yas:

#10 · (Edited)
The one I have, that looks like the ones in the video, looks to me like a master was CNC'd and a rubber mold cast around it. Then the master is pulled and you have your mold. Going by the void in the one I have the material is poured in; when it cures the edges and back are sanded. This is one sent me by someone, the mate to it broke.

#11 ·
ahh, I never even thought of a mold but it makes sense.

I really can't tell what they're made of, thought they do feel different. I don't think they ever advertised them as the G10 stuff IIRC. I think they're some kind of synthetic so the mold makes a lot of sense

#12 ·
I've been looking into the regs concerning knockoffs of products, from, say China. This applies to everything, not just copies. From a gov site:

"Marking duties
Articles that are not marked with the English name of their country of origin at the time of their importation into the United States shall be subject to additional duties unless properly marked, exported, or destroyed under CBP supervision prior to liquidation of the entry.

Criminal penalties for removal of markings
Any person who removes, destroys, alters, covers, or obliterates with the intent of concealing the country of origin marking on an imported article could be subject to prosecution and criminal penalties."

This goes on even to the extent of things like EoTech and Aimpoint red dot sights. Every once in a while you see some big arrest where knockoff imports are confiscated and destroyed, and jail time for the importers that tried to conceal the real point of origin. Throw the book at them, I say!

#13 ·
Ahhh bad topic, best friend got a great deal on a Leupold, but when I looked at it the glass wasn't the same. Looked closer and it was a fake.

I don't think the duragrips though are copies of anything unless maybe they're stealing that pattern kimber was using that looked like a peanut. Hell they may even make them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.