1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best 1911 Mag?

289K views 512 replies 346 participants last post by  jtq 
#1 ·
Which is the best and most reliable 8 round 1911 mag?

#63 ·
8 rounders i have an ACT mag, and a mecgar. no problems with either.
i have a 7 round promag and had the bottom fall out of it at he range one day. have to get another mag to replace it.

#65 ·
Would anyone have any recommendations for an SA Loaded? I want to pick up 3 or 4 new mags but I don't want to spend a fortune. Staying somewhere around 15 bucks each would be cool. Its not one of those guns I am going to depend my life on, but I would love to avoid jams at the range. It is basically a nice shooter for me.

#98 ·
I've only put about 300 rounds through the two that came with my RO, but so far they've been 100% reliable.

I'm gonna fire a few hundred more this week, & if they continue to be reliable - I'm gonna stock up on these as well.

I figure that if the factory mags work this well, why mess with it?

#70 ·
Try the Uplula - here's a video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1_ToZ-vuQ
You can get it at MidwayUSA, Brownells and lots of other places.
I have a Taurus PT1911 and it's common knowledge the mags are less than stellar. I bought a Kimber 8 round and am not impressed. On the first round you can't simply rack the slide, you have to lock it and drop it to feed the first round.
Try the Wilson 47D, Chip McCormack Power Mag, Tripp, etc. There are lots of good suggestions just before your post.

#74 ·
I've wasted so much money on mags in search of that "perfect mag". I've settled on chip McCormick 8 round power mags and Tripp Research Cobra mags. Both have been great in any 1911 I own. I'll never own mags with welded base plates again.

#75 ·
Why wouldn't you buy mags with welded base plates? I'm new to 1911's. I just recently purchased a Ruger SR1911.
I want to buy some extra mags and was looking at some Metalform mags from CDNN. I want 7 rd. flush mags and seen one with a welded base with no holes for $14.99 and another 7 rd. mag with a removable bottom plate for $12.99. Which one should I be buying?

#76 ·
Welded bases are pretty tough until the welds break, and then the spring and all your rounds end up on the ground. Removable pads, not the screw on to the welded base kind, are usually less likely to give you such a catastrophic failure.

I do like 7 rounders too, but I like base pads so my hand doesn't get pinched on a quick reload and they allow me to seat the mag easier.

#77 ·
Yep. It's what happened to me. Brand new metalform mags.

#83 ·
Wilson makes low-profile steel base pads that only protrude very slightly from the frame. These are what I use, as they still conceal well and having that little bit of extra length helps with positively seating the magazine in the gun.

I have never found a standard length 8-round magazine that I found to be 100% reliable. Even the venerable Wilson 47D that many people swear by has given me issues before in various guns. The Wilson #47 7-rounder, on the other, seems to work flawlessly in every 1911 I have ever tried them in. I buy the 47C, which comes standard with the low-profile base pad. These are my carry mags. All of my range mags, regardless of make, have the Wilson 7-round spring/follower kits and run with the same level of reliability as the Wilson $7C mags. Every so many years I will get a failure to feed on the last round and that's when I know it's time for a new spring.

I just got one of the new Wilson ETM 8-round mags with the low-profile base plate to try out. The verdict is still out as to reliability. One thing for sure is that they are not as good for concealment since the mag tube extends from the frame about the same amount as a 47 series with a standard base pad. That might be the deal breaker for me as I carry concealed 95% of the time.

#81 ·
Go to brownells. Get some chip mccormick power mags, 8 rounds, and get the concealment base pad. Perfect set up.

#84 ·
CMC power mag, 8 round with concealment base pad

#91 ·
I have always used Wilson Combat's 8 rounders. My new gun came with PSI/ActMag 7 rounders. I've heard some bad things about them. Was this the older ones or current mfgr? (Mine have the two size springs(small top half-large bottom half)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.